Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Posted August 22, 2014 Ok, another day and another problem - this one is probably a definitive one as I'm sooo close to changing this macs to Windows 7! I've imaged and configured 15 macs - all were working fine for Staff and Student logins - apart from the errors etc. I've rebuilt OD and recreated all of the preferences from scratch and it all seemed to work. Testing some today and they now all show the question mark in the dock for the users home - and it is also missing in Finder! I set the Authenticated users on the root share folder years ago when we had this issue with 10.6 and that sorted it - but it seems to have come back overnight and theres been no changes to the AD servers, permissions,preferences etc! I just need one more frustration like this to give up on osx, anyone got any ideas?
3s-gtech Posted August 22, 2014 Posted August 22, 2014 Wait, this is 10.9 right? Be very, very careful with users' home directories: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mac/140307-magic-triangle-mavericks-destroying-windows-permissions.html
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 (edited) Odd thing is - it was working fine. Macs have always done stupid thing with windows permission anyway. Does it work with 10.7 ok? Otherwise these macs are going down the windows route! Edited August 22, 2014 by Sheridan
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 Ok, so from what I can see 10.9.2 and 10.9.4 are pretty busted up as far as the AD/OD thing is. If I set the options to make the AD a Mobile Account then the user sees their home folder in the dock, if I take that off it becomes a question mark again. What a mess of an os this is turning out to be! I've now got to choose between Windows 7 or 10.6.8 which worked fine for years!
3s-gtech Posted August 22, 2014 Posted August 22, 2014 Mountain Lion is rock solid IME, as is Snow Leopard but it's a bit old. Only issues with ML is cost - it's not a free upgrade.
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 I tested 10.7 but it wouldn't work with the OD bindings, i.e it never picked up the computer preferences. Only 10.6.8 and 10.9.2/4 worked, but 10.9 is unusable in anything other than a home or mac only environment.
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 That means I'm stuck with 10.6.8 really - nice one apple!
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 (edited) Not unless I pay for it! And I'm not in the position to to that right now. And I'm not inclined to either seeing as every version of osx from 10.7 has been a mess when joined to ad and od! I'm seriously sick of apple today - rebuilding the image to 10.6.8 now gives me an invalid serial number for Logic Pro - time to start throwing macs out of the window! Edited August 22, 2014 by Sheridan
3s-gtech Posted August 22, 2014 Posted August 22, 2014 They do fly well, I guess the aluminium of the unibody is aerospace grade. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Arthur Posted August 22, 2014 Posted August 22, 2014 time to start throwing macs out of the window! It is worth trying the latest public beta of OS X Yosemite just to see if that's any better?
Sheridan Posted August 22, 2014 Author Posted August 22, 2014 Not using DFS, just connecting users to their SMB shares. To be honest I'm running out of time with this and I have little faith in newer versions providing anything other than another set of bugs. So far, my test install of 10.7.5 is working well - connecting SMB shares and pulling down the preferences properly - but until I deploy a few more I'll reserve judgement.
Sheridan Posted August 27, 2014 Author Posted August 27, 2014 (edited) Update: 10.7.5 deployed and working fine - I'll leave 10.9 for the home users! Also I've tried Yosemite, and it seems to have the same issues as 10.9 so far. SMB shares not connecting, preferences not applied correctly etc. But shiny new IOS style icons. Great stuff Edited August 27, 2014 by Sheridan 1
Quackers Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 Hmm, we run 10.9.4 here and its connecting the users home directory fine. We force local home directory then i made a script to redirect the main folders like documents to the users home drive on our Windows servers.
3s-gtech Posted August 27, 2014 Posted August 27, 2014 We force local home directory then i made a script to redirect the main folders like documents to the users home drive on our Windows servers. That's why it works. I think the problems come from using a Windows/NTFS based home directory.
Sheridan Posted August 27, 2014 Author Posted August 27, 2014 I'll give the scripts a go if anyone would like to share them Obviously the problem with the AD home directory is main issue, but we do notice that preferences aren't fully applied (Finder settings for example, and user desktop background) 10.9 also seems to run very 'laggy' but I'm guessing that is also down to the broken ad/od/smb implementation as the same settings work reliably in 10.6.8/10.7.5 (haven't tried 10.8 at all)
Arthur Posted August 30, 2014 Posted August 30, 2014 (edited) SMB shares not connecting Potential fix for SMB issue? http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=27480583#p27480583 If I try to connect to a share on my Windows server, it either won't connect at all, take 5 minutes to show the contents of a share or show the contents and lock up the finder if I try to access anything. If I instead connect to the share like this... smb://192.168.1.2:139 (instead of smb://192.168.1.2 which assumes port 445) then the share connects perfectly like it did in Mountain Lion. This is SMB over NetBIOS instead of SMB direct over TCP/IP. Edited August 30, 2014 by Arthur
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now