Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I normally try to repakage all my setup.exe files so I can deployt them with a MSI file sometime with a transform file as well.

 

I know there are command files you can put in batch files with certain switches that will dpeloy the exe files.

 

What are your ways and .bat files that you all use.?

Posted

The other Microsoft way is to create a zap file although I have never done this myself. Alot of installers such as install shield have different switches for silent installs and such.

Another way to do it would be to use an Autoit script to emulate keyboard and mouse clicks. I have an autoit script that installs Studio MX 2004 including entering the serial etc etc.

Posted

If you want to find switches for individual applications, check out AppDeploy, InstallSite and MSFN Unattended (all listed in the Essential website wiki). You will also find information on switches for particular installers.

 

InstallShield is easily automated by running the setup with /r to record a setup.iss file in the Windows folder. Copy setup.iss to the installation source folder then do silent installes with setup /s. (this technique is well documented on the above mentioned sites)

 

Assuming you want to assign the software to PCs, rather than to users, then .ZAP files cannot be used.

 

If you don't want to repackage, then I would reccomend using the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard. This will create a custom MSI which will kick off a silent install. It can even kick off an uninstall if you enter the right command line. There's a link on the Essential Software WIKI page.

 

Another possibility might be WPKG, which appears to be a freeware installation/uninstallation script tool.

 

I too have used AutoIT to automate installations which either cannot be made silent or do not run fully silent. It's often the case that whilst you can launch the main setup with a silent switch, the setup chain loads additional setups, which do not then run silently. In these cases, AutoIt can be used to create a stub loader EXE which chains the original setup with the silent switch added.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...