Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I have decided that i am going to need a new project soon as i am getting bored :!:

 

I have decided i need a computer upgrade upgrade for home after a recent pay rise :D - Yeah, a Pay rise, not a deduction! Wow, i know! :wink:

 

I have placed the links of the main components below, anyone had any experience with these or know of any compatibility issues etc, it has been a year or two since i did a complete system build, like!!! Since i have 9,000 Dells to play with. :twisted:

 

 

Motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/129039

 

CPU

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124869

 

RAMM

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/98708

 

Cheers,

Posted
Personaly I would not get an MSI motherboard, had issues with them. I like Gigabyte, never had any problems with them.

 

I think it was socket 775 you wanted.

 

Gigabyte Mboard from Ebuyer

That looks Okay, however i need IDE and SATA on the motherboard, AGP aswell, however i am yet to find a motherboard which has both. : (
Posted

I have that processor, and this motherboard:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-086-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=

 

and thats a rocking combination, easy overclock to 3GHz without even thinking about it. I use Crucial Ballistix Ram in it, 2GB of it at present running Vista X64.

 

 

Oh and BTW please don't post mutiple thread - http://temp.edugeek.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11542 needs merging with this one please mods :)

Posted
I have that processor, and this motherboard:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-086-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=

 

and thats a rocking combination, easy overclock to 3GHz without even thinking about it. I use Crucial Ballistix Ram in it, 2GB of it at present running Vista X64.

 

 

Oh and BTW please don't post mutiple thread - http://temp.edugeek.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11542 needs merging with this one please mods :)

I didn't post the multiple thread, i am guessing it happened from a reply or something.

 

Cheers anyway,

Posted
I have that processor, and this motherboard:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-086-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=

 

and thats a rocking combination, easy overclock to 3GHz without even thinking about it. I use Crucial Ballistix Ram in it, 2GB of it at present running Vista X64.

 

 

Oh and BTW please don't post mutiple thread - http://temp.edugeek.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11542 needs merging with this one please mods :)

I didn't post the multiple thread, i am guessing it happened from a reply or something.

 

Cheers anyway,

Oh well, im sure a mod will mop up, but my recomendation still stands :)
Posted
I have that processor, and this motherboard:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-086-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=

 

and thats a rocking combination, easy overclock to 3GHz without even thinking about it. I use Crucial Ballistix Ram in it, 2GB of it at present running Vista X64.

 

 

Oh and BTW please don't post mutiple thread - http://temp.edugeek.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11542 needs merging with this one please mods :)

I didn't post the multiple thread, i am guessing it happened from a reply or something.

 

Cheers anyway,

Oh well, im sure a mod will mop up, but my recomendation still stands :)
Yeah, thanks for that, i am more of a MSI man myself, i have tried a few GigaByte boards and they have either blown or been sent back as there too fiddly to fit to the chassis and swapped for an MSI.
Posted

Get the G0 stepping slightly better temps + power consumption Q6600 G0

 

Also personally would get the Intel P35 chipset P35 Neo although the 650 SLI is also good and the IDE controller is native to the chipset unlike the Intel boards where the IDE is in the form of an additional controller.

 

Also prefer MSI myself (mainly because I get priority BIOS support :D )

Posted
Get the G0 stepping slightly better temps + power consumption Q6600 G0

 

Also personally would get the Intel P35 chipset P35 Neo although the 650 SLI is also good and the IDE controller is native to the chipset unlike the Intel boards where the IDE is in the form of an additional controller.

 

Also prefer MSI myself (mainly because I get priority BIOS support :D )

The CPU seems okay, however the Motherboard doesen't appear to have IEEE1394, although, that is a nice board.
Posted
or the P35 Platinum which I'm looking to get next month myself P35 Platinum its about £35 more though I believe.
That motherboard is awesome, i covers every thing i need and MORE!

 

Anyone happen to know where i can get my hands on one, as my usual suppliers don't seem to have the Platinum version.

 

Cheers,

Posted

CCL put me on to that board or a reasonable facsimile thereof when I was discussing possible upgrades so you could ask them.

 

I didn't go with an upgrade in the end but it did look like a good deal... Only thing I would say is that there's been some bad press out there re :the P35's although I think it was early models you might want to double and triple check before you jump.

Posted
CCL put me on to that board or a reasonable facsimile thereof when I was discussing possible upgrades so you could ask them.

 

I didn't go with an upgrade in the end but it did look like a good deal... Only thing I would say is that there's been some bad press out there re :the P35's although I think it was early models you might want to double and triple check before you jump.

Cheers, i will check it out, after all, i always have the previous model to fall back on if needs be. It is nice though!

 

Any more suppliers would be helpful.

Posted
I have just checked CCL out and they don't state whether the board supports Core 2 QUAD or not, however on the MSI site it states it does. Any ideas?
Posted
Yes all the P35 boards are fine with the quad.
Great, i have just checked out Scan and aria and they cleared it up. The USB ports are nicely spaced on the board mind!

 

Nice of them NOT to ADD a graphics output mind, oh..well.....adding PCI express card to the basket! :(

Posted
Whoops... just realised I mean't SCL, not CCL... sorry Peter, I'll get my coat..

 

Hahah LOL no problem.

 

Nice of them NOT to ADD a graphics output mind, oh..well.....adding PCI express card to the basket!

 

Hi end chipsets don't tend to have integrated graphics.

 

If you get the Platinum I strongly suggest updating to the latest BIOS once you have put it together, looking at the BIOS history they have been doing a huge amount of work squishing small bugs and adding performance enhancements.

Posted
Whoops... just realised I mean't SCL, not CCL... sorry Peter, I'll get my coat..

 

Hahah LOL no problem.

 

Nice of them NOT to ADD a graphics output mind, oh..well.....adding PCI express card to the basket!

 

Hi end chipsets don't tend to have integrated graphics.

 

If you get the Platinum I strongly suggest updating to the latest BIOS once you have put it together, looking at the BIOS history they have been doing a huge amount of work squishing small bugs and adding performance enhancements.

Um......interesting! Does that happen to be a DOS or Windows GUI based update do you know?
Posted
Um......interesting! Does that happen to be a DOS or Windows GUI based update do you know?

 

Either, I find a bootable flash drive with the dos flash utility and rom file to be best.

Posted
Um......interesting! Does that happen to be a DOS or Windows GUI based update do you know?

 

Either, I find a bootable flash drive with the dos flash utility and rom file to be best.

Yeah, thats what i tend to use, i have just about every BIOS update for Dell's on mine, well, the optiplex and alttitude range, so handy i fell!

 

Thanks for that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...