Dos_Box Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 Its almost that time of year again where hundreds of users must all be created with the minimum of fuss. How do you go about it? Have you found a freeware app? Do you have it as part of a mangement package? Or have you brought a tool especially for the task. Please let us all know here.........
tarquel Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 I use my own script I've created.... I seriously need to edit it some more tho as it needs tweaking but once I have, maybe I could show you all I just need to variable-ise it and add a few other features. I've been adapting it off and on for a while since getting the 2003 server last aug/sept Cheers, Nath
russdev Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 right as we have rm we have buik import tool which reads from csv. But befor now used various methords ussaly arund an excel sheet that uses macro's to create usernames with dob then a script import them into the system. Russ
Geoff Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 Hyena. Its very quick to create users. You define a template with all the usual settings and then just manually enter the user names and off it goes. More info here.
tarquel Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 ...and then just manually enter the user names and off it goes... Manually? *yuck* My process is fairly easy in that you just: - export list of users from SIMS [i'll have to make a custom SIMS .net report now perhaps] to a csv - open in excel - add a column (to place the script name at the begining of each line) - save it - rename to .bat ...and voilla (adding @echo off at the begining if desired). Of course, it all depends on what you use as usernames but mine consists of: "XXYZZZZZ..." XX - starting year Y - Reg group ZZZZZ... - First name (use of surnames in a username tricky in wales lol - jones x 1M hehe) so my columns are as follows: [scriptname] [Year] [Reg] [Forename1] [Forename2] [Forename3] [surname] As the rest can come from SIMS [now! ...I used to just add column in excel and fill it with the year - probably have to change it to the two digit equiv], its only the scriptname you have to add Hope this makes some sense and again, I'll be working on my script too real soon - it does much but needs to do a tad more Cheers, N
Dos_Box Posted June 27, 2005 Author Posted June 27, 2005 manually enter the user names I should have specified in the initial post that users should have to be imported in csv (or similar) format.
ChrisH Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 I used adduser.exe from the resource kit last year but I am going to use a VB script this year that will do all the directory permissions as well.
RobC Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 I use UserManagemeNT by Tools4Ever. They've actually got a newer version out, but it is a nightmare of complexity. With this version, you can import a .csv or .txt file with names & any other info you want & have it create the usernames &/or passwords which it will then dump into a new .csv file for you. If anyone needs more info, PM me, cause I don't think you can download it from the site anymore.
ninjabeaver Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 I use the User Import Wizard that comes with WinSuite. Imports a .csv and is sooooooo eas to use.
Guest Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 Welllll, it really depends on whether you still have NT 4 or have moved into the real world....(sic) Used a combination of SIMS.net to Excel to AddUser, then Xcalc (or similar!) to link home directory with user security. But thats NT! With AD then its a case of generating or using User object names with target OUs, ensuring unique SAMaccount names and once again securing home folders. I have had issues with the order of user ACLs, which required a re-enumeration of all user directory security, and am still having issues with Group Membership. In fact, if anyone can offer some advice on automating user membership of groups using scripts, that would be kool! PS. worst task is archiving leavers' directories onto CD and backups, for when students decide that they DO NEED their completed work!!
Guest Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 Whoops! As a user I am a Guest, as a person I am Keith Fermor... who didn't logon on.... WhatEver!!
daveyboy Posted June 27, 2005 Posted June 27, 2005 Just for Interest :- Export from SIMS.net to .csv Applescript to create ldif file Import via ConsoleOne(PC) or iManager(Os X or Linux) Great Util's called iFolderCreator & Homes Beer Time !
browolf Posted June 28, 2005 Posted June 28, 2005 i use a csv file created from sims, modified and a vbscript i wrote myself. I had to rewrite it last year to add to active directory, which was quite troublesome.
Geoff Posted June 28, 2005 Posted June 28, 2005 I should have specified in the initial post that users should have to be imported in csv (or similar) format. Hyena will import from CVS using the User Import/Export tool but I do it manually because I usually only have 30 pupils per year to deal with. Its just as fast manually as it is to sort out a CVS file.
MkII Posted June 28, 2005 Posted June 28, 2005 A new guy in our tech circle just came up with this - yet to give it a try - tell us how you find it if you use it! cheers! download from edugeek here: http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1226#1226
russdev Posted June 28, 2005 Posted June 28, 2005 email it to [email protected] will sort it for you.. Russ
tarquel Posted June 28, 2005 Posted June 28, 2005 I refuse to use it lol I want to finish my all-powerful script. Need to setup a test server just for trying it out lol Cheers Nath
MkII Posted June 29, 2005 Posted June 29, 2005 bulk user creation tools uploaded here: http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1226#1226
ChrisH Posted July 8, 2005 Posted July 8, 2005 Im putting the finishing touches on my VB script at the moment . I wont be using addusers.exe this year
kingswood Posted July 8, 2005 Posted July 8, 2005 Pay MONEY!!!! True. But it works. And it IS only £20...... Paul
MkII Posted July 8, 2005 Posted July 8, 2005 I'm seriously considering it Paul - even tho' I have my own method pretty much sewn up - this would be that little bit better
ChrisH Posted July 13, 2005 Posted July 13, 2005 Nearly ready to run my vb script. I needs a lot of tidying up but its pretty functional. I used the win32 version of chown and xcacls.vbs in it as well. It reads a text file of names. Splits them into Firstname surname. Generates a username in the format we use eg smith.a Checks to see if it exists in AD already. If it does it will try smith.an and so on. Ps I dont like the naming convention but im stuck with it. Create the user. Set temp password. Flag it for being changed on first log on. Creates home directory Set NTFS persmissions Change ownership to the user (so quotas work properly) tada Ps anyone know how to do includes in VB script it doesnt seem to be as simple as include myfunctions.vbs ????
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now