Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Has anyone done this?

 

I've created the service but whenever I try to run it I get the following error:

 

A service specific error occurred ***

 

Not very helpful :-(

 

Thanks for any advice.

Posted
Ok, another "possible silly steps you might have missed, but have probably covered" questions .. have you rebooted the server since installing it as a service and checked over that your Java call is pointing to the right place (that's one thing I did find, Java didn't seem to be where the Wiki said it should on one of the servers I did recently).
Posted

Indeed .. well, I'm afraid not having done it on a 2012 server, I can only poke a guess at something along the lines of it being an unsigned service or something daft like that so that the service needs adding as an exception to a security rule. It's not something I've ever heard of happening before, but Microsoft do like to add in additional layers of protection along those lines, so there might be something like that, but it's just a guess, so don't hold me to it.

 

Good luck getting it sorted. :)

Posted

We ran it on a 2008r2 server with no issues but as it's a standalone service I've punted it onto a Linux server instead, quicker & easier!

Java was the big one, 2012 is very picky with it - also check net frameworks are installed, and disable the safe browsing thingy (cant remember what it's called!)

Posted

I have just checked and found that we have it running as a service on 2012 in at least one location. I never set that one up but I will see if the engineer that did has any tips.

 

+1 for the Ubuntu version if you can its a much better solution.

Posted
We've seen that error on a 2008r2 box and it turned out that we didn't have the correct java version installed - we had 32bit java installed and not 64, when we took off the 32 and installed 64 it all came up.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Argghhh! Ok I've now moved it to a 2008R2 server and have had exactly the same error trying to start the service! What the heck am I doing wrong.

 

These are the steps I followed:

1. Make sure UniFi is not running

2. Locate your java installation directory.

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin"

3. Add the dir above to the PATH (from Computer->Properties->Advanced system settings)

4. run a command prompt (as an Administrator, right click on 'Command Prompt' and choose 'Run as administrator'. THIS IS IMPORTANT ON WIN2008/7+, otherwise the service may not get created)

5. type cd "%userprofile%/Ubiquiti Unifi"

6. type java -jar lib\ace.jar installsvc

7. Start the service: net start "Unifi Controller"

 

Do I need to change any other settings?

Posted

Solved and got it running back on the 2012 box..

 

It doesn't like 64bit Java because when I installed 32bit Java and changed the path to that it works like a dream.

 

Thanks all!

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Solved and got it running back on the 2012 box..

 

It doesn't like 64bit Java because when I installed 32bit Java and changed the path to that it works like a dream.

 

Thanks all!

 

Good info to know! Glad you got it sorted! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...