Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

How do I disable the automatic search for network resources


Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=5184

 

The reg file works, and so does the manual way.

 

The script does not, and I need it to work with normal users at logon. I did think about using vbs to insert the registry entries but I seem to remember needing a higher lever of access than a normal user has to modify the registry, though I will check, since its a local user entry.

 

The reason for disabling it is because we have various auto generated network printers popping up on users accounts which don't actually work.

Posted

First if you change "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" for "HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE" this will add the entryto the PC and not the current user and therefore ALL user will inherit the settings, so this means you will only need to apply it ONCE per PC.

 

If you add the reg changes to a VBScript and add that to the machine logon via GPO it will run at machine level and not the user who is going to use the PC that way you could add the reg changes before the user logs on and you would have enough permissions to do so.

 

I have tried it on my virtual network and it seems to do what it should.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...