Spence_101 Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 Hi all, Having a really frustrating problem on one of our servers. Somehow there are a few files that have appeared in a users work area, and they seem to be corrupt. Cannot delete, edit permissions or change literally anything. We've tried deleting from cmd prompt, using a unlocker program etc. Because these files are corrupt, DPM2010 is failing when backing up this particular drive. Any advice would be much appreciated!
simpsonj Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 Could try using the Unlocker program to rename the file, then delete it? I think that's worked for me in the past. Or try changing the file extension. This used to happen a lot when I ran RM CC3 and I'm sure I had a program that would delete such files, if I remember what it's called, I'll post it up.
Spence_101 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Posted June 13, 2013 Could try using the Unlocker program to rename the file, then delete it? I think that's worked for me in the past. Or try changing the file extension. This used to happen a lot when I ran RM CC3 and I'm sure I had a program that would delete such files, if I remember what it's called, I'll post it up. Thanks for the reply. I have tried renaming extension, file name etc and it just says 'Cannot rename 006: The file directory is corrupt or unreadable;. Have also tried every option possible with unlocker and fileassasin, both don't seem to crack it!
simpsonj Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 Hmm, might be worth reading through this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2008/82394-tip-delete-those-pesky-files-windows-refuses-delete-filename-too-long-ect.html
FN-GM Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 Try deleting them in the command prompt. Generally works better.
psydii Posted June 13, 2013 Posted June 13, 2013 (edited) Take the server down and run chkdsk over the weekend? This article does not offer a good prognosis: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246026 Though this one is more optimistic (and relates to 2003 rather than 2000): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457122.aspx Edited June 13, 2013 by psydii 1
Spence_101 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Posted June 13, 2013 Hmm, might be worth reading through this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2008/82394-tip-delete-those-pesky-files-windows-refuses-delete-filename-too-long-ect.html Did think it was to do wit the long name originally as we have had that before. Have networked it and still same issue, so isn't related unfortunately.
Spence_101 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Posted June 13, 2013 Take the server down and run chkdsk over the weekend? This article does not offer a good prognosis: Cannot Delete or Repair Corrupted File on NTFS Volume Have tried chkdsk :-(
Spence_101 Posted June 25, 2013 Author Posted June 25, 2013 Thought I'd update with the solution. Eventually it was chkdsk "drive" /x that worked. The command /x forced it to dismount, took an hour or so then came back on. Files were then delete-able. Thanks for all replies.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now