ranj Posted June 3, 2013 Posted June 3, 2013 Hi I have a old PC (Intel Dual Core First gen) and think I could upgrade to an SSD drive on the boot drive to give the old dear a bit of extra life. I have a laptop for my main work so the PC isn't used as often but I am finding it to be really slow at the moment and I am going to reformat it but thought I would do this on SSD rather than standard HDD. My question is can I just buy any internal SSD drive and will this work in my PC? Do all SSD drives come with the extension to convert from 2.5 to 3.5 or does that have to be brought separately? I need to check my MOBO settings as I think it will only support 3gbps, anyone recommend these type of disks? Thanks
zag Posted June 3, 2013 Posted June 3, 2013 Yes as long as its SATA then it will work. Most SSDs come with a 3.5" bracket and power converter. We buy intel SSDs here which always come with them. 1
sonofsanta Posted June 4, 2013 Posted June 4, 2013 A lot of SSDs will be sold 1) on their own 2) in a laptop kit (with imaging software and USB-SATA cable) 3) in a desktop kit with a bracket. Sometimes it's cheaper to get the desktop kit, sometimes it's cheaper to buy the drive and bracket separately. Any SSD bracket will work. 1
alemanyorks Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 Recommendation would normally be on price especially as you probably can't make use of the fastest SSDs in your old desktop. I've used some basic Sandisk ones in old core 2 machines & found them to make a useful difference for reasonable money. Solid State Drive (SSD) by SanDisk
chazzy2501 Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 just buy a laptop one and old it in place with just 2 screws hovering it on one side.
mac_shinobi Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 Possibly an obvious thing but if possible try and match sata revisions so if the mobo only supports SATA 2 then make sure its a SATA 2 SSD. I know SATA 3 SSD's are or meant to be backwards compatible but you may find it won't see the Sata 3 ssd ( possibly ) and if it does then it's a waste as it wont work at sata 3 speeds anyway
Koldov Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 Any issues with cloning the old hard drive onto the solid state one? Kol.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 The Intel SSDs always come with the expansion plate which is nice. I've got a few 160GB X25-M if you're interested. Alternatively (or perhaps as well how about looking at one of our refurb systems.?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now