FN-GM Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 Around the time of Windows XP's release, internal sources pitched "Blackcomb" as being not just a major revision of Windows, but a complete departure from the way users today typically think about interacting with a computer. For instance, the "Start"/"Taskbar" philosophy, introduced in Windows 95, might have been replaced by the "new interface." Additionally, a completely new paradigm for storing files was to be incorporated, and the window by which software accesses core operating system functionality would be revamped for the first time in over a decade. Although some elements of this vision have made it through to Windows Vista (in particular the new programmer APIs, the 3D acceleration, and vague vestiges of the original vision for a new user interface), Windows Vista is not commonly seen to be a stark departure from the tradition set down with Windows 95. It has been publicly stated that the team that designed the Ribbon interface for Microsoft Office 2007 will play an active part in redesigning Windows Explorer and possibly other UI elements. Apparently Microsoft Will Not Be Shipping 32-Bit Versions Of Windows 7
sqdge Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 Why do we need a completely new interface? What's wrong with sticking to something we know works, like the start button and taskbar? Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
sqdge Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 Yeah, what's wrong with menus all of a sudden? Why should we click on straightforward "easy-to-tell-what-they-do" words, when there's obscure pictures we can spend ages deciphering before giving up and hovering the mouse over them so that the tooltip appears?!
webman Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 Ah, I know... because Microsoft knows best!, of course!!
john Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 Hey I like the ribbons they are very nice and clever
FN-GM Posted August 3, 2007 Author Posted August 3, 2007 Its not so bad. But the ribbon in office 2007 isn’t in all applications such as Outlook what I find odd. I think there should be an option in office 2007 so you can have ribbon or menus.
sqdge Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 Its not so bad. But the ribbon in office 2007 isn’t in all applications such as Outlook what I find odd. I think there should be an option in office 2007 so you can have ribbon or menus. I was surprised you couldn't switch to "classic" view as well. There are two options to get around it. Ctrl+F1 will auto-hide the ribbon. Or, going here gives you an add-in (at a price) that will go back to the familiar classic menus. I went for the I'll-just-have-to-get-used-to-it option.
john Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 They should have put it in all programs for sure as half are and half are not. As for a "classic" mode, they said that people need to get used to change so no classic mode would be provided, which does make sense in a way
Quackers Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 Why do we need a completely new interface? What's wrong with sticking to something we know works, like the start button and taskbar? Maybe I'm just old fashioned. If we had that kind of way of thinking we'd still be stuck with the Windows 3.0 interface
webman Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 There's 'innovation' and there's also choice. MS seem to ignore the fact that some people want the latter option
PiqueABoo Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 An Article @27th July says: "Contrary to prior reports, Windows 7, previously codenamed Vienna, will be a major Windows release and will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants for both consumers and businesses. This suggests that Microsoft's intention to move entirely to the 64-bit x64 codebase is proceeding slower than hoped." Anything else your read about it right now is probably just as likely to change, including the release date... last claim I saw was 2010.
contink Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 There's 'innovation' and there's also choice. MS seem to ignore the fact that some people want the latter option In total agreement there.. MS are pushing this whole "we know best" routine regarding user interfaces that bely "ease of use".. Menu's made sense for someone who has good motor control and large iconic button type interfaces make more sense for someone with poorer control and/or eyesight.. I'm fast approaching the point of shoving Office 2007 in the proverbial bin because I simply cannot find the functions I used to have because they are no longer categorised in a way that made sense before but apparently don't now. But bottom line, I want the choice or at bare minimum have some kind of map that tells me where everything has gone!
sqdge Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 It's interesting that no-one really hears about Mac users being disappointed with the latest Mac OS (whether it's Tiger, Sparrow, or Ferret, or whatever they're called). I wonder why this is?
webman Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 It's interesting that no-one really hears about Mac users being disappointed with the latest Mac OS (whether it's Tiger, Sparrow, or Ferret, or whatever they're called). I wonder why this is? Nobody uses those mac things these days do they? 8O Or is that just because all mac users accept what's put infront of them? Apple says this is right so it must be true
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now