capncrunch Posted November 18, 2010 Posted November 18, 2010 I am probably looking right past it but... after a good while googling, scouring microsoft tech net and searching through every conceivable option in the Word GPO I just cannot find where to turn off "check spelling as you type". I have turned off most of the other spell checking elements but that one still eludes me so I am still getting the red squigly underline. Please could somebody point me in the right direction?
theeldergeek Posted November 18, 2010 Posted November 18, 2010 I am probably looking right past it but... after a good while googling, scouring microsoft tech net and searching through every conceivable option in the Word GPO I just cannot find where to turn off "check spelling as you type". I have turned off most of the other spell checking elements but that one still eludes me so I am still getting the red squigly underline. Please could somebody point me in the right direction? Blimey, you haven't been let loose in AD have you?!? Which version of Office, 2010?
theeldergeek Posted November 18, 2010 Posted November 18, 2010 Office 2010 Resource Kit maybe? Office 2010 Resource Kit
theeldergeek Posted November 18, 2010 Posted November 18, 2010 Plan for spelling checker settings in Office 2010 Maybe?
capncrunch Posted November 19, 2010 Author Posted November 19, 2010 I have already disabled "Check grammar with spelling" and i have trawled through a lot of microsoft documentation regarding the policy settings for office but unlike, powerpoint, one note, publisher and outlook it seems Word does not have a "check spelling as you type" option like the they do. I suppose I could set start background checker to a mahoosive number but I would have much preffered a definate "off" option...
capncrunch Posted November 19, 2010 Author Posted November 19, 2010 A quick read of the Policy shows that spell checking delay only effects terminal server sessions, so I still have no way of disabling spell checker!?
theeldergeek Posted November 19, 2010 Posted November 19, 2010 A quick read of the Policy shows that spell checking delay only effects terminal server sessions, so I still have no way of disabling spell checker!? Can't help you much more than I already have tried to unfortunately, or even investigate solutions from this end as we have a completely different desktop delivery to our client machines than you do, so I can't even begin to replicate the problem. I'll keep looking, but it sounds as if you have explored most avenues anyway.
Poco Posted November 22, 2010 Posted November 22, 2010 might be a long shot but have you looked at Autocorrect options that is in Word Options? just untick all of them if you haven't and will probably solve the issue. apologies if you have checked this.
capncrunch Posted November 22, 2010 Author Posted November 22, 2010 might be a long shot but have you looked at Autocorrect options that is in Word Options? just untick all of them if you haven't and will probably solve the issue. apologies if you have checked this. Yes that does work, and it is what I am currently having to do but with 160 accounts that need spell check disabled I was rather hoping I could do it centrally rather than logging on as every single account.
Poco Posted November 22, 2010 Posted November 22, 2010 ahh i see. i didnt realise you was doing it over multiple's. i think our Microsoft account manager is in later today so i will see if he can get me an answer for you
capncrunch Posted November 22, 2010 Author Posted November 22, 2010 ahh i see. i didnt realise you was doing it over multiple's. i think our Microsoft account manager is in later today so i will see if he can get me an answer for you That would be great, thanks!
Poco Posted November 22, 2010 Posted November 22, 2010 spoke with him and he reckons the only real way would be to do it once and image it then roll it out. failing that a customised script i would suppose. Not the greatest answer in the world but it was worth a try i hope it goes some way to helping at least
enjay Posted November 18, 2011 Posted November 18, 2011 Okay, I've got it folks - I've managed to disable the spell checker in Office 2010!! Go to disable proofing, spell checker, using GPO., follow Rex Zhang's instructions and then scroll down a bit for my comment and add the registry keys. Job done. 2
OverWorked Posted November 24, 2011 Posted November 24, 2011 (edited) Enjay, you're a star! It won't work without the reg edits you've added. To update links for Office 2010 Disable user interface items and shortcut keys in Office 2010 Office 2010 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers The Control Identifiers need to be added as numbers one per line, not separated by commas as the GPO help says. Like this:- This took some doing. MS must *really* not want admins to disable the proofing. Edited November 24, 2011 by OverWorked
enjay Posted February 6, 2012 Posted February 6, 2012 I've just found that this isn't as fool-proof as we had hoped. Even with all these changes, users can still Alt+Click a word to open the thesaurus (looks like all we've done is disabled the toolbar button, not the thesaurus itself) and also right-click | synonyms. Anyone know of a way to prevent these?
mbrunt Posted January 7, 2013 Posted January 7, 2013 anyone else having trouble with this? for some exams we ideally would like to push out a GP to certain users to disable all spell checking, but currently theres no way to as far as i know???
mbrunt Posted January 7, 2013 Posted January 7, 2013 Ignore that, just found another blog thread, silly me.
RobbieD Posted January 8, 2013 Posted January 8, 2013 Ignore that, just found another blog thread, silly me. Any chance you could direct me to that, mbrunt? We have laptops that are to be used for exams soon that need their spell-checking disabled.
mbrunt Posted January 8, 2013 Posted January 8, 2013 here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/office-software/106480-disable-spellchecker-dictionary.html basically what i did in the end was make students use wordpad instead. 1
RobbieD Posted January 8, 2013 Posted January 8, 2013 Cheers dude. Wordpad's probably the way I'll go then, save any fuss.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now