+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, remote app over multiple monitors in Technical; Afternoon. Our deputy head is currently working on the timetable for next year on his machine which has 2 monitors. ...
    Thank Post

remote app over multiple monitors

Afternoon.

Our deputy head is currently working on the timetable for next year on his machine which has 2 monitors.

Our setup here is that we access SIMS remotely on servers located at the LA. They use remote app. When he loads SIMS he can't move any active windows from one monitor to the other. It stops when it goes from one to the other like there is only one monitor.

All applications loaded locally will move happily between both monitors. If the office manager tries it on her machine, it works without issue.

I have reinstalled the graphics card drivers. After a bit of googling, I was able to find a clue, if he connects using mstsc.exe, within the options > display tab> there is an option of use all my monitors for the remote session. This is not available on his machine.

This is a bit of a complicated problem to describe, I hope I have given enough info.

Anyone got any idea why we cant move between screens?

The machine is running XP SP3 and the graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 3400

TIA

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Are you running the newest Remote Desktop client for XP?

3. Thanks to Michael from:

Admiral208 (26th April 2011)

Thank Post
    If your using remote app, try launching the program from RDWEB, it should then load up and allow you to drag it to the other monitors. Using remote desktop to remote into a full desktop tends to only maximize to 1 screen.

5. Thanks to nickbro from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you running the newest Remote Desktop client for XP?
    I wasnt using the latest version, I am now. Still have the same problem. I do now get the 'use all my monitors for the remote session'

Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    If your using remote app, try launching the program from RDWEB, it should then load up and allow you to drag it to the other monitors. Using remote desktop to remote into a full desktop tends to only maximize to 1 screen.
    When we load the shortcut to the application, all we get is the applcation. We dont get a normal RDP session with the desktop and start menu.

I have also found out that the Application is locked to the primary monitor. If I change the primary monitor in display properties, the application changes screens but then I cant get it back to the original monitor.

Thank Post
    Run mstsc.exe /span

"/span -- Matches the remote desktop width and height with the local virtual desktop, spanning across multiple monitors, if necessary. To span across monitors, the monitors must be arranged to form a rectangle."

8. Thanks to TheMan100 from:

Thank Post
    I have tried it with the /span switch. It does work but its not perfect. The login section spans the centre of the screen and when you maximise windows, they fill both screens. Its a sort of workaround but i would rather get it fixed properly.

Thank Post
    Are you able to drag the rdweb app from one monitor to another? if so then it looks like its just a client issue. If not it may be an XPism

Thank Post
    Also where did you download mstsc from? Download details: Update for Windows XP (KB969085)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The span setting may well be the best that you can do, span which is the way to use multiple client side moniters by making the RDP session screen size the same as both moniters added together. There is no distinction method to tell the session that it is running on multiple moniters. Short of installing it locally or installing some kind of screen managment application on the RDP server which you can't do given it is managed by others you may well be stuck with it.

Edit, you could add a third moniter at which point at least the logon box would be in the middle
    Last edited by SYNACK; 26th April 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    Also where did you download mstsc from? Download details: Update for Windows XP (KB969085)
    I downloaded the client from Michaels post originally. Is your link different??

EDIT: just seen that its different. I will try the latest version now.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The span setting may well be the best that you can do, span which is the way to use multiple client side moniters by making the RDP session screen size the same as both moniters added together. There is no distinction method to tell the session that it is running on multiple moniters. Short of installing it locally or installing some kind of screen managment application on the RDP server which you can't do given it is managed by others you may well be stuck with it.

Edit, you could add a third moniter at which point at least the logon box would be in the middle
    Thanks Synack. Whats confusing me is that the office manager can use it successfully on her machine. She can move the remote app windows from screen to screen without problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Remote Desktop Plus perhaps? Although it's just a launcher for mstsc.exe, is has several features that you may find useful...

• Can adjust the working screen size to either the maximum available size (so it looks like a normal maximized application) or to a size somewhat smaller, so you can still move it around a bit.
    • When using multiple monitors, you can specify on which monitor the Remote Desktop session has to be started.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I downloaded the client from Michaels post originally. Is your link different??

EDIT: just seen that its different. I will try the latest version now.

Thanks Synack. Whats confusing me is that the office manager can use it successfully on her machine. She can move the remote app windows from screen to screen without problem.
    Is her screen setup as a span to start with in the driver? Some drivers allow this which precombine the screens to show up as one span to the host OS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread