+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Windows Thread, [SOLVED] How do I make a default logon Domain? in Technical; So lets admit it. Probably a good number of us have had someone come up to us saying "I can't ...
  1. #1
    link470's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    250
    Thank Post
    85
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Thumbs up [SOLVED] How do I make a default logon Domain?

    So lets admit it. Probably a good number of us have had someone come up to us saying "I can't login" and it turns out they're trying to login to the local machine and didn't change the drop down box to your domain. What I'd like to do, is have a default domain appear in that box. I found a good article on Microsoft on how to do this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo..._080305_2.mspx

    There's only one problem. The simple 8 line script they use errors out on line 8 when you try to import it as a template in a GPO. It says that it's expecting CATEGORY, and it found CATEGOR...doesn't make any sense. The two places that script says category, both say category in my script. I didn't miss a letter.

    Anyways, if anyone has a better idea on how to do this, or have come across that error before while trying to create that GPO, please let me know! Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 02:51 AM.

  2. 3 Thanks to link470:

    gumbygaz (8th March 2010), Heebeejeebee (4th November 2009), sparkeh (24th June 2009)

  3. #2
    monkeyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    364
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 52 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    This is our adm for default domain. If you posted yours may be able to help diagnose? Is your an exact copy of MSN adm as well?

    Code:
    CATEGORY "Logon Settings" 
      KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" 
        POLICY "Default Domain" 
          PART "Default Domain" EDITTEXT 
            VALUENAME "DefaultDomainName" 
          END PART 
        END POLICY 
    END CATEGORY

  4. #3
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    I had to add a space after CATEGORY at the end of the file to make it work.

  5. 2 Thanks to somabc:

    Heebeejeebee (4th November 2009), sparkeh (24th June 2009)

  6. #4

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    I've rarely had this problem, but on the subject of the domain logon window, the more common problem I have is users ticking the "Log on using dial-up connection" box.

    This reg file greys out the box making it impossible to tick. Very handy and logon problems have reduced considerably!

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "RasDisable"="1"

  7. 2 Thanks to Michael:

    Heebeejeebee (4th November 2009), TSCL (4th November 2009)

  8. #5
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    The .adm template seems a bit random and only works when it feels like it as far as i can tell.

  9. #6
    link470's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    250
    Thank Post
    85
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    Quote Originally Posted by somabc
    I had to add a space after CATEGORY at the end of the file to make it work.
    WOW...

    just WOW...

    lol. That worked perfectly. Thanks :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I've rarely had this problem, but on the subject of the domain logon window, the more common problem I have is users ticking the "Log on using dial-up connection" box.

    This reg file greys out the box making it impossible to tick. Very handy and logon problems have reduced considerably!

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "RasDisable"="1"
    Excellent call on that, I like it.

  10. #7
    link470's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    250
    Thank Post
    85
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: How do I make a default logon Domain?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    The .adm template seems a bit random and only works when it feels like it as far as i can tell.
    From what I've seen, it can take a few seconds for the policy to load. I've tested it and hit control+alt+delete to login and it's the local machine. I try again 5 seconds later [literally] and it's set to our domain. So what I'm going to try to do is just set the GPO to wait until all policies are loaded until the login window comes up.

  11. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,154
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 527 Times in 450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    123

    Re: [SOLVED] How do I make a default logon Domain?

    We use this subroutine in the machine startup script - replace "student" with the name of your domain.

    It sets the default logon domain and then hides the dropdown (it will appear if you click options or you ge the password wrong)

    it also makes the default option at shutdown change to "logoff"

    Code:
    sub SetLogonOptions
      sRegPath="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "DefaultDomainName","STUDENT","REG_SZ")
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "ShowLogonOptions", "0","REG_DWORD")
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "LogoffSetting", "0","REG_DWORD")
    end sub

  12. #9
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: [SOLVED] How do I make a default logon Domain?

    In a VB Script?

  13. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    306
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    We use this subroutine in the machine startup script - replace "student" with the name of your domain.

    It sets the default logon domain and then hides the dropdown (it will appear if you click options or you ge the password wrong)

    it also makes the default option at shutdown change to "logoff"

    Code:
    sub SetLogonOptions
      sRegPath="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\"
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "DefaultDomainName","STUDENT","REG_SZ")
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "ShowLogonOptions", "0","REG_DWORD")
      o=oShell.RegWrite(sRegPath & "LogoffSetting", "0","REG_DWORD")
    end sub

    I'm trying to implement something similar to this (adding some other reg entries too) but I can't seem to work out how to add it to an existing script - I use one to install printer drivers at startup due to restricted user permissions.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Dave.

  14. #11

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,644
    Thank Post
    895
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    444
    Just FYI if someones advice helps you click the "thanks" button and add to there reputation and it tells other users that the solution helped you.

  15. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    306
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Just FYI if someones advice helps you click the "thanks" button and add to there reputation and it tells other users that the solution helped you.
    That's great and i have started to do that where appropriate but I'm still trying to work this out. Can anyone help with adding reg edits via startup and logon scripts or i suppose call .reg files from vb scripts?

    Dave

  16. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    487
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    @djones - cmd /c regedit /s \\servershare\servername\key.reg

    Is that what you mean?

  17. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    306
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by plock View Post
    @djones - cmd /c regedit /s \\servershare\servername\key.reg

    Is that what you mean?
    Yeah, something like that. Would I need to wrap any commands around that line or could that be added, standalone, in an existing vbs login script?

    Edit: The /s switch I assume means 'silent' but what does the /c relate to - 'computer'?

  18. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Posts
    306
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Edit: The /s switch I assume means 'silent' but what does the /c relate to - 'computer'?
    Ignore that last edit. The /c switch means 'create' or 'replace' registry keys. Derr.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Make a script run for SINGLE domain user
    By philtomo-25 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th November 2007, 09:21 PM
  2. Problem assigning printers at logon - SOLVED
    By richard in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 4th January 2007, 09:14 AM
  3. Cannot join pc's to new domain :( - Solved :)
    By richard in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th December 2006, 09:06 AM
  4. no default domain gpo
    By ptrainor1 in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd September 2006, 09:34 AM
  5. XP Default Logon Theme
    By Gatt in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10th January 2006, 02:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •