+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Odd folders display in Technical; We've got a couple of 2003 R2 servers that hold our students data folders. Each of those is a share ...
    Thank Post

Odd folders display

We've got a couple of 2003 R2 servers that hold our students data folders. Each of those is a share based on the username.

I've noticed recently that when looking through the top level folder a lot of the folder names are now showing as 'Documents' instead of the correct folder name (see picture). When you check the properties everything is correct (share name, permission etc) -just the onscreen display is wrong! When you browse the server shares (i.e \\server\share) the names are all correct as well. Out of about 300 shares, around 50 or so are showing as Documents.

Never seen this before, anyone else got an idea as to whats causing this? Its a nuisance when copying files around on the server itself. I've got Access Based Enumeration on the top level share but thats been on for a long time and this problem is fairly recent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Windows 7 clients will do this to your user folder names. There are a few registry tweaks around on here that fix it.

Edit: via GPO, set User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Folder Redirection/Use localised subfolder names when redirecting Start Menu and My Documents to Disabled - this has fixed it for me.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 24th January 2011 at 12:12 PM.

3. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Sheridan (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Windows 7 clients will do this to your user folder names. There are a few registry tweaks around on here that fix it.
    are thre oh good i wasnt looking forward to redoing my folder structure to \\server\users$\group\username\docs
    \pics etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Cheers for that - I'll try that out and see what happens. Sounds realistic as we only have about 10% of our network on Windows 7 and only certain groups of students would use those laptops/pcs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread