+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Is the Metro interface doomed? in Technical; Mozilla pulls the plug on 'Metro' mode Firefox browser for Windows 8 | The Verge Mozilla has announced that they ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is the Metro interface doomed?

Mozilla pulls the plug on 'Metro' mode Firefox browser for Windows 8 | The Verge

Mozilla has announced that they will not be proceeding with the release of a Metro version of Firefox. There stats show very low use of Metro resulting in great difficulties in adequately testing a Metro version of Firefox.

This and the cries for a return of the traditional Windows start menu and desktop mode make me think the Metro interface may not be long for this world unless MS can really turn it around in Wimdows 9. If Windows 9 removed Metro though and we were left with all of the improvements 8.1 has over 7, I imagine Windows 9 would be wildly successful on the desktop.

Thoughts?

2. Thanks to seawolf from:

zag (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Their stats show very low use of Metro resulting in great difficulties in adequately testing a Metro version of Firefox.
    I was waiting for a stable version before trying it out. I guess a lot of other people were too?

Mozilla has a habit of cancelling projects (or putting them on hold) and then coming back to them at a later date. e.g.

I bet within the next two or three years Mozilla will start working on Metro Firefox again, especially if Firefox OS has limited success.

the cries for a return of the traditional Windows start menu and desktop mode make me think the Metro interface may not be long for this world
    There are also cries from a small minority of Firefox users for Mozilla to scrap Firefox's forthcoming Australis UX. It doesn't mean to say the most vocal users are always right however (the same applies to Windows users too).

I am looking forward to when Sir Jonathan Ive redesigns OS X to look more like iOS 7 - it's only a matter of time!

Some Apple users are going to go absolutely mental, simply because it's different to what they are used to!

Last edited by Arthur; 15th March 2014 at 10:51 PM.

Thank Post
    In all honestly I can see the desktop going over the metro style. I like the metro style and think it shows up just how cluttered the start menu was to the point where when using 7, I now hit start and just type to search the program rather than use the start menu (a sort of omg what cavemen we were back in 2010 using this interface).

As for Firefox pulling out.... in my opinion, who the hell uses Firefox anyway over Chrome or IE 10/11?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    In all honestly I can see the desktop going over the metro style. I like the metro style and think it shows up just how cluttered the start menu was to the point where when using 7, I now hit start and just type to search the program rather than use the start menu (a sort of omg what cavemen we were back in 2010 using this interface).

As for Firefox pulling out.... in my opinion, who the hell uses Firefox anyway over Chrome or IE 10/11?
    I do ( well did ) - Aurora on my Mac as it's easier on the Battery. I will never understand why it drains it so quick using Chrome. Also started to us Aurora on my Win7 but flip to Chrome for when testing page updates I've done and also some aspects of what the developers have updated. IE is great, great for downloading another browser.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    The numbers show that Firefox still has 26.9% of the worldwide browser market as of January 2104 and 17.68% of the worldwide market share on Windows computers. As Chrome has a 16.84% market share on Windows, it is beaten by Firefox on Windows. So, who indeed.

Browser Statistics
    IE10 Falls Below IE9, Firefox Down, Chrome Up

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Firefox is terrible now, we have ripped it off all our machines thanks to its mental footprint and its dirty Linux habit of spewing a billion tiny long named files to the roaming user profile by default.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Firefox is terrible now, we have ripped it off all our machines thanks to its mental footprint and its dirty Linux habit of spewing a billion tiny long named files to the roaming user profile by default.
    Firefox works better than Chrome in a locked down, managed environment. The Chrome autoupdate feature is a nightmare in a managed environment both for Windows 7 and Macs. We use the Frontmotion community edition of Firefox (with the icon changed to look like the normal Firefox browser). We had lots of issues with Chrome early last year, none at all with Frontmotion since making the switch.

We don't use roaming profiles, so can't comment on what it does there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We used the front motion one, never worked well with the GPO templates, still wanted filthy text files twiddles with and spewed rubbish as above. Chrome by comparison behaves fine and encapsulated the disgusting adobe flash like IE11 on w8 which is a major given how terrible that is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    We used the front motion one, never worked well with the GPO templates, still wanted filthy text files twiddles with and spewed rubbish as above. Chrome by comparison behaves fine and encapsulated the disgusting adobe flash like IE11 on w8 which is a major given how terrible that is.
    Frontmotion packages up Adobe Flash now as well, which is good. Haven't had any issues with it although like I said we don't use roaming profiles. Chrome gave us all sorts of fits in early 2013 though and I was having the same feelings towards it that you're having for Firefox right now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Frontmotion packages up Adobe Flash now as well, which is good. Haven't had any issues with it although like I said we don't use roaming profiles. Chrome gave us all sorts of fits in early 2013 though and I was having the same feelings towards it that you're having for Firefox right now.
    Yea, browsers are a pain in general, the only one that plays nice on a network fully is IE which is less supported thanks to every web scriptkiddie targeting for webkit exclusively with merit or otherwise. I guess it is a case of finding the path of least evil and going with that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought Microsoft have already confirmed that TIFKAM was here to stay, but the way it works was going to change. Eg. Being able to have TIFKAM apps open in windows on the normal desktop.

The thing with it is, Microsoft have made it difficult for users to make use of alternative browsers in the TIFKAM interface. Once you open one browser, all subsequent browsers are forced to open as 'desktop' applications, and not as a TIFKAM app.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Their stats show very low use of Metro
    Meanwhile, VLC release a beta version of their Metro app and get 38,000 downloads in less than four days.

Surely this means people want Metro apps?

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

SYNACK (17th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Meanwhile, VLC release a beta version of their Metro app and get 38,000 downloads in less than four days.

Surely this means people want Metro apps?
    38,000 downloads? Heck, that's peanuts when there have been over 200 million Windows 8/8.1 licenses sold.

By my calculations that is only 0.00019% of Windows 8/8.1 users. Sounds like throngs of people are crying out for Metro apps...

Thank Post
    38,000 downloads? Heck, that's peanuts when there have been over 200 million Windows 8/8.1 licenses sold.

By my calculations that is only 0.00019% of Windows 8/8.1 users. Sounds like throngs of people are crying out for Metro apps...
    but in 4 days with very little press (i only knew because it was posted here and havnt installed it yer on any of my 8.1 pcs yet but as soon as i need it i will

Thank Post
    I think they will have to slowly roll it back..they've already backtracked and in 8.1 allow users to disable it without using third party software after initially refusing to do so..even after the huge outcry from many users.

IMO Metro (which is basically an android imitation) is best suited for mobile devices; surface..etc. Also attempting to force it on users will only backfire.

I think they'll eventually do what they should have done from the start: give users the option to switch between the old start menu and the metro interface.
    Last edited by RafaelLane44; 18th March 2014 at 10:55 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast