+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Problems accessing NAS from Windows 7 clients in Technical; I'm currently testing a windows 7 client on our 2003 domain network by using it as my own computer so ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Problems accessing NAS from Windows 7 clients

I'm currently testing a windows 7 client on our 2003 domain network by using it as my own computer so I can find as many problems from my own experience as possible. One major issue im having is i'm unable to access a Buffalo NAS that we use to store alot of documents, I can use my logon from an XP client and access it no problem but on a windows 7 client i'm asked for a logon every time, I have no idea what this logon is as i've tryed multiple domain accounts,the buffalo doesnt have NTFS security on it anyway and is set to everyone read permissions.

confused!

Thank Post
    What model of Buffalo NAS? We have an old Terastation and it simply won't talk to anything newer than 2003R2 or Windows XP. Just keeps popping up the login box on 7 and 2008/R2. In the end, I shuffled things around so that unit only spoke to a 2003 R2 file server, and it's fine now. I'm lucky that I had a newer model waiting to take over. This was also on the newest firmware, but be sure to check yours (firmware updates on these are essential!)

Thank Post
    try using the ip address\name

Thank Post
    Your problem is indeed a combination af several compatability issues.

Windows 7 is unable to negotiate correctly with your NAS and without a 2008 Server to keep your Win7 boxes in check your going to have issues.
    I am making a few assumptions as you have not provided any details but the NAS is configured in Workgroup or 2003 Domain Mode and the authentication is by default NTLM V1 or 2

The Win7 client is trying to communicate using Netbios names and as such are incorrectly assuming a higher level of secure channel by default than the NAS understands (KEBEROS).
    When you connect using \\IP_Address\share the Win7 client automatically assumes this is a Linux box or LANMAN SMB connection and a lower level of security NTLM1 is negotiated first which is why that method works when names do not.
    A lot of time gets wasted trying to fix this with DNS, dont bother as it isnt your problem.

Without a 2k8R2 DC and the associated GP objects dumbing down the SMB Protocols has to be done with a local policy.
    NTLMvX.png

I managed to resolve this issue enough to connect my Win 7 boxes to my NAS but as soon as I went 2008 Native everything was resolved anyway.

I eventually got rid of the Terastation in favour of a ReadyNAS as well, which is now iSCSI attached so these are issues long in the past thank god!

Even if your NAS is 2008 AD aware without a DC to dictate what levels of SMB encryption to use this can be an eternal PIA.

To see whats happening you need Wireshark on the Win7 box capture the packets as you try to negotiate the SMB connection to the NAS whilst using the netbios name eg. \\myserver\share
    Then do it again using \\IP-Address\Share

The capture will reveal all, even if you have 2k8 servers and DNS if the NAS doesnt speak 2k8 AD it will be and endless source of woe. I have a few early Terastations still kicking around and none of the available firmware is 2k8 compatible but the later devices have no problems at all.

If you seriously want to play Windows 7 on your Domain get a 2008R2 DC in place asap it will save a lot of pain in the interim.
    Last edited by m25man; 17th October 2011 at 05:50 PM.

5. Thanks to m25man from:

bondbill2k2 (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    You will also notice this can happen with samba on Linux servers using ntlm

Thank Post
    @m25man is spot on with the fix

Thank Post
    I would setup a iSCSI connection from the NAS box to whatever file server you use (should work on things greater than 2003R2 as well) and then run the whole thing from that - the client PCs will see the files as coming from the server and your problems will all go away.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great work m25man Shall be going to 2008 domain next Easter hopefully, Ill just use an IP for now as its only a few files me and the NWM use for quick setup of software, staff files are on a nice new 4TB readyNAS NVX

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread