+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, FROGOS - Anyone seen it? in Technical; I am waiting to have a demo. All I know is its a slimmed down version of frog and will ...

Thank Post

FROGOS - Anyone seen it?

I am waiting to have a demo.

All I know is its a slimmed down version of frog and will cost less (10 times less and we may buy it )

Thank Post
    Went to the Frog Conference and must say we got a quick peak - instantly impressed which is rare.

Designed to be much cleaner and easier to use on creation of websites (also designed for mobile devices like the iPad). They have also setup a bunch of templates for users.

I keep hearing about the price drops - probably because FROGOS wont have all the additions that Frog3 has. Once FrogOS comes out they have admitted that the rest of stuff to work with it will come later. I also like the drive access, no longer needing to upload files just drag and drop.

They have 20 schools signed up for the Beta right now and I believe its early next year for the release. Whats annoying though is I could have signed up but I dont have the time they requested

Thank Post
    We got a preview on Monday from Karl Bolland. Frog OS is in no way slimmed down, it's completely rebuilt. I think (but don't quote me) that Frog are intending offering schools hosted solution as an option. Although for us, we'd would have always gone with the server system - otherwise you're using up your bandwidth.

FrogOS looks really cool, has been rebuilt from the ground up and (brace yourself) doesn't have a toolkit. But that's because it doesn't need one. It will make more sense when you get a demo. There's a couple of important features missing right now, but they are on their way and we'll be moving to when its ready.

Thank Post
    Thanks, they will need to lower the price for us to be seriously interested to be honest. I like the integration with mobile devices... its needed more than ever nowadays.

Thank Post
    Just an update. I have a quote and its not as scary as the full blown version. Real shame they don't do write back to Sims (SchoolAnywhere does) and I need to see how it integrates with Sims. I have a logon to play with to check it out. Its sub 10k for us by the way.

Thank Post
    A bit off there, it is the new version of Frog and is nothing like the previous. Went to the launch on Friday and was impressed, very impressed. It is the same price as Frog 3 I think but miles ahead of anything I have seen out there.

It will have Sims write back soon as well.

Also AD SSO, Google Apps, 365 etc

Thank Post
    Lots of stuff seem to be soon, parental gateway, sims write back, IE compatability. Will wait 12 months and see if it gets out of beta.

Thank Post
    We went to a Frog event at Ninestyles on Friday last week, and I received my FrogOS demo account details from the service desk this morning.

I have to say that considering I developed an almost instant dislike to Frog 3 that has not abated through use, my first impressions of OS are very good - it's a lot slicker than 3 which is looking horribly clunky and dated in comparison.

There is the promise of true HTML5 cross-platform support which is going to be a big win for pretty much anyone and it was demonstrated running quite happily in Chrome, and we were assured that Firefox, Safari, IE support is all there.

We were told that if you're interested in looking at FrogOS, the first port of call should be the Service Desk. They can advise you on what your server may / may not need to run optimally with OS (some servers may benefit from a memory upgrade), and set you up with some demo accounts so you can have a play on their central system.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We had FROG OS installed just before Easter, as we are one of their Champion Schools. We did have a ram upgrade - now running with 12GB.

Works great in Chrome but also Internet Explorer as well. We have also tested it on iPADs (not much though) and it works perfectly fine on those as well, where-as FROG v3 was hit and miss in terms of mobile devices.

Much quicker and slicker than v3 and has some nice features. Completely redefined interface. I must admit does leave pretty much every other VLE I've seen behind. From what I can gather schools can request to be upgraded, although I believe there's a big queue so it may be a few weeks as they are slowly rolling it out to schools so it's done properly.

Cheers,

Rob

Thank Post
    Haven't been to any of the events but have had a bit of a play with the demo site and yea it looks good and is tablet friendly but is currently missing a lot of functionality. Everything is very much centred around creating a site or webpage which I'm not sure about, I.e you want to assign a class a piece of work you've done in word you can't just assign this like you could on Frog 3 it has to be turned or embeded into a website which it will do for you quickly and easily but why does everything have to exist and be assigned in this fashion?

Thank Post
    @robknowles 12Gb? Crikey - the figure mentioned to us was 8Gb, which we assumed was down to the fact that OS runs side-by-side with 3, essentially duplicating the requirement on resources so they were doubling the memory in the box to accommodate it.

Did you end up with 12Gb as a result of trial-and-error as OS progressed through the development and test stages, or did the service desk stipulate that from the outset before they knew for sure how it would run on a server in a "live" environment?

Thank Post
    Been running the test site (latest version) and had our ICT department create a load of resources, the site thing doesn make sense once you get your head arround it but i agree a quick homework aspect is needed as well. We have some homework which isnt on Frog and is a link such as, your homework is on mymaths, this is currently done in 2 clicks.

We have kiosk moded some chrome books and sso with google apps, this is excellent, a good way to get staff using Frog more and limits the management of laptops. In tests nothing we have tried in Frog Os hasnt worked on them, 3 seconds boot time and 7 hours of bettery. 200 quid each, sccrom works, google apps, browsing (only pain is impero doesnt but we can manage that on smoothwall).

Thank Post
    @TheCrust When we original had FrogOS installed the implementation team said we needed 12GB Ram from the outset. We have 4 x 2GB sticks to compliment the existing 2 x 2GB sticks we had.

Thank Post
    Looking at these responses it completely explains why certain people at my previous job wanted Frog out quick. Shame really because this FrogOS does seem to be the bees knees, but at the end of the day we can't all care about whats best for the students .

Good to see FrogOS seeming popular, hopefully i can get my hands on it at some point.

Thank Post
    We had a demo this week, it's certainly impressive. Very slick and packed full of features, but the demo we had and our demo logins suffer really badly from lag. If this is how it works "in the cloud" then it wouldn't take long before it would be frustrating to the point of not using it. Typing a sentence and then seeing it appear letter by letter 5 seconds later soon gets tiring when you're checking for spelling mistakes and the like.

Of course, if you get a server then I can imagine that problem will largely disappear, as long as you can afford to add another 7k or so to the already hefty setup cost.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast