+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Having problems with NetSupport School in Technical; Hello Everybody, I've been asked to sort out our school's installaion of NetSupport School 10.5 on a vanilla 2003/XP network. ...
    Thank Post

Having problems with NetSupport School

Hello Everybody,

I've been asked to sort out our school's installaion of NetSupport School 10.5 on a vanilla 2003/XP network. I've used a CC3 which had a near-identical interface without any problems. Ive got a number of problems:

- Under the technician console, I cannot connect to some coupters. It shows them as offline (even though they aren't)
    - Agaign trying to connect to other computers it says the security key is invalid. I was under the impression that the SK was the serial which should be the same on all computers.
    - Trying to deploy through the Technicans Deploy console or the Teachers Deployment console always results in some sort of problem. It copies the files but never manages to install them.

Unfortunately I came in a while after this system was put in and teachers have been struggling for a while. We have very limited installation documentation and it's needed evermore as we get to the end of the school year. Luckily we are having a new school through BSF ready for september, which will have Ranger which I understand is a newer version of NSS.

Thanks for any help.

Thank Post
    Check if the computers are set to connect by IP address or Hostname. if you use DHCP and the IP address for the computer changes you loose the connection

Thank Post
    Hi, I think first step is to check the deployement settings. What settings do you have for the deployment and what errors does the console give you?

Thank Post
    Whenever we have issues seeing machines, we tend to check that client32.exe process is running and that Client32 service is also started - for us if there is a problem with either suggests a problem with the installation and usually we reinstall the client. We are a CC4 school however we use what is essentially NSS10.5 although it means because of that I can't advise on your other issues (as our deployment isn't done via the deployment wizard).

Also with regards to Ranger, I was under the impression that the tutor part of ranger was Netsupport school but rebadged (so it's never going to be a "newer" version of NSS on that basis, but likely the opposite).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    Check if the computers are set to connect by IP address or Hostname. if you use DHCP and the IP address for the computer changes you loose the connection
    Hi, Changed to Hostname Resolution, no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GangrelChilde View Post
    Hi, I think first step is to check the deployement settings. What settings do you have for the deployment and what errors does the console give you?
    Hokay. NetSupport School Deploy > Network Tab > Domain > right click on computer > Deploy > Deploy NetSupport School Package > Deploy > copies setup file > errors in the status with "Error Installing Net Support: Fatal Error During Installation"

Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Whenever we have issues seeing machines, we tend to check that client32.exe process is running and that Client32 service is also started - for us if there is a problem with either suggests a problem with the installation and usually we reinstall the client. We are a CC4 school however we use what is essentially NSS10.5 although it means because of that I can't advise on your other issues (as our deployment isn't done via the deployment wizard).

Also with regards to Ranger, I was under the impression that the tutor part of ranger was Netsupport school but rebadged (so it's never going to be a "newer" version of NSS on that basis, but likely the opposite).
    As there are classes in the room I will check the service during lunch break. I would really like not to have to re-image three computer rooms.

Thanks for the note on ranger. We've been given very little info and no training so far so I don't know what to expect.

Thank Post
    When you right click on a machine to deploy to, it is worth checking the config. When you right click and go to deploy there is a Configuration option at the bottom. You can then check how the package is configured.

I am installing my clients via GP. You can import the NSS bits for the GP from the NSS install folder. http://www.netsupportsoftware.co.uk/...kb/TechDoc.xsl
    Last edited by GangrelChilde; 9th June 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Thank Post
    I've tinkered around with the config and have tried many different options, with no luck.

Thank Post
    Just checked my set up v10.5 is the latest version. The security key is an optional setting set in the general tab in the configuration menu - we don't set it. If yo have set the connectivity to host name I would still check that the IP address shown in the net support properties is correct (check against DNS). Have you tried a manual install one one of the workstations? In your position I would be tempted to start from scratch.

Thank Post
    Doing a manual install on a machine is my next line of action. I would like to start again but I don't know if it's worth the time to image ~90 computers, re-join to the domain, and deply the lot. I'll do a single install to start with and see how that goes. If it works, I'll ask the sysadmin what he wants to do.

EDIT: After testing on one client machine it worked flawlessly. Now I face the task of installing onto the rest of the clients. Would XCOPY Deployment work?
    Last edited by tb2571989; 9th June 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Thank Post
    As you are having a few different problems I would recommend you contact our support team via our web site (PC Remote Control Software with Remote Desktop, Linux and Pocket PC support.). Just to be clear NSS is the original product, RM Tutor and Ranger are OEM's so as someone has already pointed out they will never be a newer version than NSS.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tb2571989 View Post
    Doing a manual install on a machine is my next line of action. I would like to start again but I don't know if it's worth the time to image ~90 computers, re-join to the domain, and deply the lot. I'll do a single install to start with and see how that goes. If it works, I'll ask the sysadmin what he wants to do.

EDIT: After testing on one client machine it worked flawlessly. Now I face the task of installing onto the rest of the clients. Would XCOPY Deployment work?
    Have you tried copying the license and configuration files from the manual install back to the deployment folder (replacing the current versions) and seeing if that helps deployment Otherwise I think it's time to contact NSS

Thank Post
    Spent just over two hours (!) on the phone with a guy from NetSupport (thank god for UK call center, I would have jumped out of the window within 15 minutes otherwise) and it seemed to be a weird setup and problems with installing the program on login...I'm still working on this and will hopefully have an answer by the end of the week.

ron

Thank Post
    I can't provide you with any help with NetSupport, I would contact them direct if you still have a support contract with them. We used NetSupport for years but we had a lot of problems with it so we moved to LanSchool. It's been great, you have more control and we havn't had any problems with it.

Thank Post
    This has been passed up to my manager who isn;t really sure what the problem is so we'll just have to come untill the end of term when we'll be getting the new school under BSF with Ranger.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread