+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Creating a USB Bootable OSX Lion Installer in Technical; For anyone who wants to know... 1. Download Lion form app store 2. Go to applications in OS X 3. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

Creating a USB Bootable OSX Lion Installer

For anyone who wants to know...

1. Download Lion form app store
    2. Go to applications in OS X
    3. Find install Mac OS X lion
    4. Right Click > Show package contents.
    5. Go to Contents > SharedSupport
    6. Copy "InstallESD.dmg" to your desktop
    7. Open Disk Utility
    8. Find you pendrive in there and go to the restore tab
    9. On source find the DMG on the desktop
    10. Drag the patition of the USB into destination.

And your done boot from that by pressing ALT when starting up your mac.

2. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Netman (21st July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On my white Macbook this works a treat but on my 2010 Macbook Pro when i try to boot from then pendrive it doesnt recognize it. I press alt when booting but it doesnt show the pendrive.

weird.....

edit: This did the trick: http://subrosasoft.com/blog/2011/07/...n-flash-drive/
    Last edited by FN-GM; 21st July 2011 at 09:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    How to create bootable Lion ISO (for burning to DVD)

Thank Post
    My parents have got an Intel iMac running Tiger. They keep talking about upgrading and I suggested they wait until Lion. Now it seems they would need to pay for an upgrade to Leopard before they can upgrade to Snow Leopard before they can pay again to upgrade to Tiger! It all seems like a bit of a Mac Steve Jobs classic to me.

Does anyone know if it is possible to bypass paying out more than once to upgrade to Lion?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyfoot View Post
    My parents have got an Intel iMac running Tiger. They keep talking about upgrading and I suggested they wait until Lion. Now it seems they would need to pay for an upgrade to Leopard before they can upgrade to Snow Leopard before they can pay again to upgrade to Tiger! It all seems like a bit of a Mac Steve Jobs classic to me.

Does anyone know if it is possible to bypass paying out more than once to upgrade to Lion?
    May be able to buy a snow leopard dvd ( 10.6.3 ) or there abouts and install Snow Leopard and then pay once to upgrade to Lion, but from what I am aware I think you are allowed to install Lion on up to 5 macs so if you have already purchased it you can do the above and install Lion for them without buying it again ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    May be able to buy a snow leopard dvd ( 10.6.3 ) or there abouts and install Snow Leopard and then pay once to upgrade to Lion, but from what I am aware I think you are allowed to install Lion on up to 5 macs so if you have already purchased it you can do the above and install Lion for them without buying it again ?
    I've got a pre-Intel Mac so won't be upgrading and therefore won't be able to install my copy of Lion on their computer. I am more than happy to recommend that they buy a copy of Lion but don't see the justification for paying out for two OS's when they will only have one installed.

If I had a copy of snow leoplard and installed that just prior to installing a paid for version of Lion do you think that would be in violation of terms and conditions? Is Lion an OS on it's own or is it an extension of Snow Leopard?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    It's really easy if you have access to another computer running Snow Leopard. All you need to do is buy Lion from the Mac App Store, create a bootable USB flash drive using the link in FN-GM's post, boot your iMac with this, open up Disk Utility, delete all of the partitions and/or format the HDD and then install Lion.

If I had a copy of snow leoplard and installed that just prior to installing a paid for version of Lion do you think that would be in violation of terms and conditions? Is Lion an OS on it's own or is it an extension of Snow Leopard?
    The only reason Snow Leopard is listed as a requirement for Lion is because this is the only version of Mac OS X prior to Lion which has the Mac App Store. Details here.
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st July 2011 at 01:37 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread