+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Copying one file to multiple computers in Technical; Hi gang, Something's stopped me being clever this morning. I've got a shortcut file that I want to put on ...
    Thank Post

Copying one file to multiple computers

Hi gang,

Something's stopped me being clever this morning.
    I've got a shortcut file that I want to put on admin users desktops. I've already written it into the logon script as a simple copy command from a network location to Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop so tomorrow it won't be a problem.

However, I'm impatient and want it there now.
    Can the copy command be used to run a batch now to copy this shortcut to the desktop of every admin computer currently on? Can it be done without using GP?

Someone suggested somewhere that...

Code:
    copy \\server\file.lnk "\\%computername%.mydomain.local\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\file.lnk"
    ... might work but it didn't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    youd need to have a list of all the computers in a text file

and then do a for loop to loop through all the entries in the text file

gimme a min ill knock up the exact syntax

Thank Post
    If you are running it in the local computers context.

Code:
    copy \\server\file.lnk "%allusersprofile%\Desktop\file.lnk"

Thank Post
    FOR %%A IN (pc1 pc2 pc3 etc etc) DO copy \\server\file.lnk "\\%%A.mydomain.local\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\file.lnk"

The above might work, I don't have time to test it.

With Powershell or VBS you should be able to do a script that reads the computernames from AD.

Thank Post
    this should work,

xcopy \\server\file.lnk \\%computername%.mydomain.local\c$\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE ~1\DESKTOP\file.lnk

or

xcopy \\server\file.lnk \\%computername%\c$\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\DESKTOP\file .lnk

i don't normaly use the domaim.local
    if you use it in a batch file, dont think batch can take the spaces,

edit - the website has put a space between alluse~1 on the top line and file.lnk on the 2nd line but there shouldnt be

Thank Post
    Excel and its Fill Down option is quite handy for making batch files like that, copy and paste the lot into Notepad and find/replace on the tabs to get rid of the gaps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also remember you can use Group Policy Extenstions for this as well (free)

Thank Post
    I do this sometiomes frequently via a script I picked up ... I posted it in another thread.

Try this script that I have used (attatched) which I use sometimes to patch remote machines.

You'll need to add machines you want to deploy to a group - I use STRCCWorkstations (schoolname, workstation).

You can add command line parameters too after you have specified the install file - Installing IE7 Silently is Simple… | So Joe... should help you.

Hope it works! (it does here! ).

Another note - if you have windows firewall on you need to make sure WMI is allowed as an exception - you can do it via GPO - but that's for another time...!
    You may be able to do something with it...

rh91uk
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Hi

I dont know if you could do this but it might be easier.

Create a share on a server and assign the admin users read permission on the share and the ntfs permissions.

Copy the short cuts or icons in the share

Now create a group policy that will only apply to one test user of admin and call it redirect desktop.

Now edit the gpo and set the path to the share, set the grant users exclusive access to disable, move content of desktop to disable, policy removal behavior to restore content.

Find a admin computer and run gpupdate /force /boot. This will update group policy and reboot the pc.

Log on as the test user and you should get the normal icon from all users on the machine and the redirected desktop.

The only problem with this is if users have been storing things on the desktop which I dont allow because I don't backup individual pcs and only backup the servers.

Just an idea.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanks to all. I'll give a few of those options a go.

Thank Post

PSExec or Group Policy

Sometimes when I want to be quick and dirty about something i'll use psexec. In your case i'd just have a batch file located on a network share that runs the copy command. Then i'd create a text file that contains a list of the machines i want to hit. I usually use a program called lookatlan to scan the network and do an export. Then i'll just execute this command psexec @c:\computer.txt -u domain\user -d "\\server\share\copy.bat"

There actually is away to use group policy to place a shortcut on a desktop as well. Currently I'm using Win 7 and if you are using you GPO Management you can goto Computer Config/Preferences/Windows Settings/Files Here just do a file replace of the ICO image for your shortcut. Then go to Config/Preferences/Windows Settings/Shortcuts then just create the shortcut you want.

Thank Post

Curious about the PSEXEC option

Asanders,
    What copy command do you use in your batch file? I understand the @file option. I dont understand how a remote copy command will copy the proper file to all of the computers in the computer.txt file. Dont you have to specify the file to be copied and the destination in the copy command?

copy c:\folder\test.txt "\\remote computer\folder"

How does the computer.txt file replace the remote computer?

Thank Post

PSEXEC Example

Think of PSExec like this it allows you to remotely execute a command on a machine. In this case we just want to run a batch file. I'll try and create a step by step example for you

Step 1. Create batch file called copy.bat and place it on a network share that can be accessed by everyone. ie \\server\share
    Step 2. Place the shortcut you want in the same network share as copy.bat ie \\server\share\Shortcut.lnk
    Step 3. Edit copy.bat and type this
    copy "\\server\share\Shortcut.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"
    Step 4. Create a text file called computers.txt in the root of your C:\ and in that file just list your computers you want this batch file to run on.
    ie. Computer1
    Computer2
    Computer3
    Computer4
    **Note The reason we are creating this text file is because we want a list of computer names and psexec will execute the batch file on every computer that is listed in that text file.
    Step 5. In CMD type this "psexec @C:\computers.txt -u domain\UserWithAdminRights -p Pa$$Word -d "\\server\share\copy.bat"

**Note that I added this -d because I just want the batch file to run and disconnect. Otherwise you will see the batch file run on each computer and well that can take forever.

14. Thanks to asanders from:

mwbutler (6th May 2014)

Thank Post

Talking

Asanders,
    Thank you for the information. I knew psexec would be able to copy the files I needed across the network but I could not figure out how to do it. This makes my life so much easier. Thanks for your help. It is working like a charm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asanders View Post
    Think of PSExec like this it allows you to remotely execute a command on a machine. In this case we just want to run a batch file. I'll try and create a step by step example for you

Step 1. Create batch file called copy.bat and place it on a network share that can be accessed by everyone. ie \\server\share
    Step 2. Place the shortcut you want in the same network share as copy.bat ie \\server\share\Shortcut.lnk
    Step 3. Edit copy.bat and type this
    copy "\\server\share\Shortcut.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"
    Step 4. Create a text file called computers.txt in the root of your C:\ and in that file just list your computers you want this batch file to run on.
    ie. Computer1
    Computer2
    Computer3
    Computer4
    **Note The reason we are creating this text file is because we want a list of computer names and psexec will execute the batch file on every computer that is listed in that text file.
    Step 5. In CMD type this "psexec @C:\computers.txt -u domain\UserWithAdminRights -p Pa$$Word -d "\\server\share\copy.bat"

**Note that I added this -d because I just want the batch file to run and disconnect. Otherwise you will see the batch file run on each computer and well that can take forever.
    I followed your instructions however on all of my workstation names it says

\\workstation
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

Am I supposed to add anything else to the computer.txt file?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast