+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK in General; ...
    Thank Post

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK

A handheld laser likened to a Star Wars lightsabre and so powerful it can instantly blind and "set fire to skin and other body parts" can be bought online and shipped to the UK.

The device - with a beam 1,000 times stronger than sunlight on the skin - is touted by makers as "the most dangerous laser ever created".

Trading standards chiefs said they were "seriously concerned" about the sale of the Spyder III Pro Arctic model and have warned against its use.

As well as blinding, burning and causing cancer, its Hong Kong-based maker, Wicked Lasers, admits that "a split-second laser light in a plane cockpit (...) can be disastrous".

Star Wars fans are among hundreds of people who have already shown an interest in buying the laser, for sale to the general public for £135.

Laser safety expert John Colton, director of Lucid Optical Services, told Sky News Online that the lasers were "horrendously dangerous".

"Under no circumastances should they be on sale on the internet," he said.

Mr Colton said the 1W beam was 1,000 times stronger than laser pointers normally available to the public.

They could be "deadly" if aimed at car drivers or even pilots in planes, Mr Colton added.

Wicked said the device would have cost thousands of pounds to build not long ago, but technological advances have made it available much more cheaply.

"Don't let the Arctic name fool you, this laser possesses the most burning capabilities of any portable laser in existence," the website reads.

"That's why it's also the most dangerous laser ever created."

The website goes on to warn: "Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power.

"It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts."

It adds that users should use eye protection and must read and agree the "Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form".

News of the laser has sparked a flurry of excitement on social networking websites.

One person wrote: "Real lasers that resemble Star Wars lightsabres, that can burn skin, cut through plastic and ignite matches - yes please."

Another wrote: "The fact that it looks like a lightsabre is even cooler."

One more said: "I must have this. Birthday present anyone? I will KILL things, with FIRE."

Christine Heemskerk, lead officer for product safety at the Trading Standards Institute (TSI), said the items should not be on sale to the general public.

"We are seriously concerned about the sale of these products which should only be for industrial use."

Ms Heemskerk added that because the lasers were manufactured abroad, there was nothing the TSI could do to stop their sale over the internet.

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK - Yahoo! News UK

Thank Post
    What?! Why would anyone sell such a thing? It would be cool apart from the blinding/burning/cancer making part...

Plus why can no one spell "Lighsaber"?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joh619 View Post
    Including you...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joh619 View Post

Because that would be spelling it wrong

Thank Post
    Fail! :'(

*Lightsaber

I blame my new keyboard >_>

Thank Post
    Havent stupidly high powered laser pens been available over the net for a while now? I saw a video of one that could burst balloons and set fire to things a good year or so ago

Have to say I'm not usually bothered by these sort of scare stories but this is a little worrying, all it takes is one idiot to buy one and start waving it round in public and it could seriously hurt people.

Thank Post
    wow, i honestly didn't think it would be available over here, £135 for that, I really want one, but understand the dangers and risks and therefore wont actually buy it. I don't think people realise they can blind themselves by simply pointing it at a matte wall, yes the reflection off a MATTE surface can blind you..... In the uk were we have the chav parents on benefits buying there lazy kids laser pointers and 18+ computer games, do we expect that no one will be hurt with this?
    Last edited by Flakes; 16th June 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure it is dangerous (not sure how accurate Wikipedia is for this but it seems to suggest that a 1W laser would be in class 4 which is the most dangerous class) but it's certainly not "the most dangerous laser ever created"

Without getting into James Bond territory, there are plenty of much more powerful lasers. True, they're not normally sold as toys (the ones used for cutting metal etc can be in the kilowatt range) but it would be nice to have a little bit of accuracy in statements which use superlatives!

Thank Post
    Not only does it sound cool, it look cool:

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...ue_laser_1.jpg

<insert mock outrage>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Without getting into James Bond territory, there are plenty of much more powerful lasers. True, they're not normally sold as toys (the ones used for cutting metal etc can be in the kilowatt range) but it would be nice to have a little bit of accuracy in statements which use superlatives!
    Yes however these more powerful lasers are not sold at £135 ($200 in USA) to ordinary households. £135 is well in the reach of anyone who wanted one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    but it's certainly not "the most dangerous laser ever created"
    But it is. The lasers you talk of aren't sold to joe public. The very fact that these lasers are easily available and portable makes them the most dangerous laser ever created.

Thank Post
    A laser can be 100w, but if it happens to be one mounted in the particle accelerator in CERN it's hardly dangerous to anyone unless you plan on crawling around inside it while they conduct the tests

A 1w laser you can almost fit in a pocket (albeit a BIG pocket) and leave sat on your side unit charging, and then walk outside and set fire to the neighbours cat.... Now THAT i'd class as dangerous

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Havent stupidly high powered laser pens been available over the net for a while now? I saw a video of one that could burst balloons and set fire to things a good year or so ago

Have to say I'm not usually bothered by these sort of scare stories but this is a little worrying, all it takes is one idiot to buy one and start waving it round in public and it could seriously hurt people.
    I think the video you're referring to was of a converted bluray laser, also very dangerous.

How long before a kid strolls in to school, blinds and mames a class full of kids including himself? Sad thing is it'll probably take something like that before the governemnt will pull their finger out and ban them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These are made out of the lasers in the new casio projectors. The Making of the Spyder III Arctic

Thank Post
    Are we seriously saying this company buys a truck of casio projectors, strips them and turns them into toys? I find it more likely they just ring the company that makes the diodes, and order a box. this smells of hoax to me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast