+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Qualifications needed for newbie in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm currently doing my A levels right now and was wondering what qualifications I would need to become a network ...
    Thank Post

Qualifications needed for newbie

I'm currently doing my A levels right now and was wondering what qualifications I would need to become a network manager, haven't decided on whether it would be in the education sector, but can anyone give me any advice on courses and qualifications that would look good on a c.v.

I'm currently looking into the following:

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/unde...cm11018464.php

http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/course...mentAndDesign/

http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=4590

I have been self teaching myself about group olicy, AD, profile setups etc. myself, but was wondering what else I would need that would be recognised by the industry
    Thnx in advance

Thank Post

Re: Qualifications needed for newbie

If you are serious about a career in IT, you will also need professional qualifications like CCNA MCSE.

Most employers in the private sector (where the money is!) will not consider inexperienced candidates unless they have professional qualifications also.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Actually, round here, employers are becoming wary of prospective employees turning up with qualifications but little to no experience. Generally they rate experience at least as highly as qualifications.

Thank Post

Indeed - it's hard to win!

You can't get the experience if you're getting the qualifications, and you can't get the qualifications as easily if you're getting the experience.

Along with this, it's hard to get the experience even with the qualifications because they then want to employ someone with experience!

It's a catch 22!

Thank Post

Yeh I'd say instead of aiming straight for a NM job to join somewhere in a more junior role that offers training that way you get everything you need.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Actually, round here, employers are becoming wary of prospective employees turning up with qualifications but little to no experience. Generally they rate experience at least as highly as qualifications.
    If you are 30+ that may be true and I agree experience is everything, however the OP has just finished A levels and is starting his/her IT career. Many prospective employers (private sector) will not even consider a graduate unless they have also completed or are “working towards” professional qualifications.

Thank Post

> I'm currently doing my A levels right now and was wondering what
    > qualifications I would need to become a network manager, haven't
    > decided on whether it would be in the education sector, but can anyone
    > give me any advice on courses and qualifications that would look good
    > on a c.v.

The courses you mentioned you are looking at seem to require BBB at A-level. If that's what you're realistically going to be capable of, you should forget the whole being-a-network-manager thing for the moment and concentrate on learning interesting stuff instead. Network management is the dull, tedious stuff that gets in the way of doing the interesting things that you learn about on a degree course. The job "network manager" might (hopefully) not be around in 10 years as people will have figured out how to get computers to just sort themselves out.

Personally, I'd go for that Staffs course - you can do an international placement (great fun, highly recommended), you can elect for a masters, and they actually encourage you to clear off for a year half-way through the course and start your own business. How cool is that?

> I have been self teaching myself about group policy, AD, profile
    > setups etc. myself, but was wondering what else I would need that
    > would be recognised by the industry

Why bother? You can pick that stuff up at the end of your degree if you like, or you might find yourself doing something more interesting.

Go read the current "Talk at Yale" postings up on www.joelonsoftware.com for the above sentiments written by someone more eloquent than me.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries

The way I got into this was to do a BSc Computing degree, and work part time for the IT support department at the uni and running my own web design/hosting business on the side. These, combined with my having ran a Windows network (ie. designed, built and maintained entirely by me) when I was at school (unlikely for anyone to do this now due to the formal nature of ICT in schools) landed me my NM job as my first role.

The best way of gaining experience is to do a degree and work part time/do a degree with a sandwich year.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    The way I got into this was to do a BSc Computing degree, and work part time for the IT support department at the uni and running my own web design/hosting business on the side. These, combined with my having ran a Windows network (ie. designed, built and maintained entirely by me) when I was at school (unlikely for anyone to do this now due to the formal nature of ICT in schools) landed me my NM job as my first role.

The best way of gaining experience is to do a degree and work part time/do a degree with a sandwich year.
    I did the same, with more maths :P (BSc computer science )

I took year out working at my old school, started as a science tech for a week then moved onto IT for the rest of the year. Then I did my first two years at uni, spent the 3rd year placement at another school and did one day a week there duing my final year. When I finished the NM position came up at the placement school and I started the day after my last exam. That was nearly 5 years ago now - how time wizzes by!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    Indeed - it's hard to win!

You can't get the experience if you're getting the qualifications, and you can't get the qualifications as easily if you're getting the experience.

Along with this, it's hard to get the experience even with the qualifications because they then want to employ someone with experience!

It's a catch 22!
    True Mr Plock, however you are the exception to that rule. I know your ability and I would rather leave you holding my server shaped baby than someone who has an MCSE and no experience.

The injustice is that Mr MCSE can charge £500per day to baby sit without experience and you my friend wouldn’t even be asked to change its nappy.

And this is often the result!

http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Fo...wtopic&t=13636

How’s it going down there in Reading by the way!

Thank Post

TBH do whatever you like at uni mate, just pick the right one. Once into uni you'll be able to change courses fairly easily and most courses are modular.

once you graduate (or come close to it) if you want to become a tech then your best bet is to look at the a+, n+ then mcp's to become a mcsa. Then get a decent job , dont worry to much about pay, but make sure the training and development is there.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    > Why bother? You can pick that stuff up at the end of your degree if you like, or you might find yourself doing something more interesting.
    David Hicks
    Because.... after 4 years of his life bumming around and he will probably end up teaching!

Within four years he could have done an MCSE a CCNA and if necessary complete an OU degree after and be earing more than the SLT.

Thank Post

> Within four years he could have done an MCSE a CCNA and if
    > necessary complete an OU degree after and be earing more
    > than the SLT.

Yes, but it's worth trying to encourage a 17/18 year old to aim for a career more interesting than fixing someone else's problems all day. Judging by the courses s/he is thinking of doing they're fairly bright, and after doing a decent degree they should have many more interesting options open to them.

I heartily agree with the OU idea, by the way - a good way to avoid the whole student debt thing would be to sign up for an OU course and work part time (okay, something like a network manager position would probably be ideal) whilst completing the degree.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    >

Yes, but it's worth trying to encourage a 17/18 year old to aim for a career more interesting than fixing someone else's problems all day.
    I think you may have missed the point. I would encourage anyone into an IT career, and I agree; educated to degree level you have more chance of an IT career where you employ people to “fix someone else's problems all day”

However, you will need professional qualifications also if you are aiming for an IT career in the Private Sector.

Thank Post

Sorry, I've not read what other people are saying because originofsymmetry has listed my degree at my university as the first in his list so i skipped to the bottom

If you come to Staffordshire uni and you do decide to do the network eng course you'll do your CCNA, Cisco fundamentals of network security, Cisco IP Telephony and I /think/ you do your CCNP too. I know I start mine at the end of this year (my second year).

There is a fair bit of maths content, not too much programming, there's some C in the first year and some shell scripting but that's about it, you'll get to use some industry standard engineering software like Matlab, Maple, Multisim, Pro Engineer for CAD work.

The Cisco labs are awesome. A good number of IP phones have just been bought along with some PoE gigabit switches, we've got lots of pretty routers and the network security rack has recently been expanded too.

</plugging_staffs>

Also, if you want to crack your way into industry the industrial placement year, whilst optional, is a great way to do this. I'm applying for placements in the industrial sector at the moment and the uni placements team can help you with this when the time comes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast