-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
"Happy Birthday PC" . How Much We All Love You. ( well sometimes ! ) Twenty five years of the IBM PC Computer firm IBM made technological history on 12 August 1981 with the announcement of a personal computer - the IBM 5150. See....> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4780963.stm :occasion4:
-
What!! Are you sure your AV software was working correctly? Usually we do not get infections but the amount of alerts I receive of attemted installs and other files being brought in are an almost daily occurence. I think it came off a floppy / cd rom from pupil's home. AV software found it and held it.
-
Hi. To go with this W2K Server I'm building for this charity school, I was thinking of re-installing the W2k Pro. workstations. Fresh start. Please tell me if this method is ok . 1. boot up with WIN95 boot up disk. EDIT... WIN98 NOT WIN95.. EDIT 2. Format C:\ 3. Remove boot disk. 4. Insert W2K CD Rom. 5. Run set-up. > install. 6. Service packs/updates. 7. Install any software etc. eg office. 8. Configure 9. Make a copy and save it on the server. Questions. I have Norton ghost 8 (home type) and I have had a go in a test set up to use it. Will it be ok to use over the network ?. Or do I use Ris on the server ?.to send it over the network. Any help and advice please. Michael .
-
Hello All. I'm Still setting up this W2K.. DC server for the first time and now feel I'm getting there, Its for this local charity run school. My next question is do I need anti-virus software to run on the server ?. On the 30 computers in the school I have all free AV software also free firewall ,anti-spyware , anti-malware .etc..... But the free AV will not run on the server !. Does anyone know of any free AV software that can be used on a server.?. What risk do I run if I did not have AV software on the server and just had it on the workstations ?. Has many of you had attacks on your servers and what happened ? Regards Michael. PS I've only had one virus in the school on one workstation in 7 years .
-
Hello. I will look into that soon , But I'm going to test the smoothwall box with 'Shields up fire wall tester from http://www.grc.com/default.htm because not sure if it working has it should be ...There are no logs in the 'fire wall log' ??? I have disabled the routers firewall but still no logs ? The proxy has a log. but the proxy does not seem to be working as it should . May do a re-install of smoothwall and re set up.. Michael.
-
Hello. I'm getting there . Re installed again, set up AD, DNS,DHCP. Thanks Ajbriton for putting it down how to set the ou's up (did not set these up before oop's ) . I have done this, now I have to put all the workstations names in the "managed\computers" ou . eg..........managed\computers,lib1, lib2,office1,class1a, etc. but not any routers (member servers) etc. Then similar for the staff . eg "managed\users\staff,ann a, pat b, etc. Then similar for the pupils . eg "managed\users\pupils,ben a, sam b,mary xyz etc. Re You should also create OUs for other objects (eg Groups, Service Accounts, Admin Accounts). Do these come off the main tree or from the 'managed' ou ?. I can also see that I can set the GP for each ou. for ..say the workstations I would set things that would affect how the users can use there workstations and what they can have access to ? On this site have I seen some of these GP's I can download to use or is every school different ? I have seen that there are some 'template ' GP in w2k server. Michael.
-
Hi Ric, do you have a link for this please. Is it a small file to download ?. Michael
-
hi. I set up the router to connect to the internet by plugging it in one workstation on the network and using the routers web browsers set up screen, then set up smoothwall box to connect to the routers ip address. Then unplugged the router from the network and plugged it into smoothwall box and that into the net work. set smoothwall up and re-booted both and the set up seem to have worked ok, but now I cannot see the routers details if I type in it's address. From Michael.
-
Hi . Loads of them, went down the list and configured what I did not want the users to change . I want to get access to the GP and delete it and configure like you suggests above. I think it must be the root GP. Can only get to safe mode C:\ or directory restore mode ( but in that still cannot get in to Active directory) From Michael. Edit ... just seen other post . Backup what backup ? not got around to doing any back up's yet !!! . do you think it will be quicker to do yet another reinstall . I will get it right. Edit
-
Hi . A very very big oop's .. I now cannot access the DC . ( it now thinks it's a user workstation !!! ) HELP..... all I can get to is C:\ in safe mode. Does anyone have any idea's how I can get my DC back. ??? From Michael.
-
Hi Chris H, You are correct, I forgot that I set it to ignore echo requests (thinking that was for the internet only and not the Ethernet). So I will enable it again while I'm setting up this domain. Any one know how I can see the web interface set-up page for the router through the smoothwall box ?. From Michael.
-
Hello . Thanks you for help and links. I will put this on hold for few weeks because I'm upgrading the network to a domain and have my work cut out doing that for the first time by myself. I will use smoothwall just for a firewall for now. So my set up is BT internet> Linksys HG200 Router>Nic 1 smoothwall>firewall>Nic 2 >network switch. now from the network I should be able to ping Nic 2 but not Nic 1 ?. But I cannot ping Nic 2 and I get the internet on the workstations ? Is this right ?. any help please. From Michael.
-
Hello John. That did the trick.because windows 2000 is similar to XP. Thank you. From Michael.
-
Hello Tony . Thanks for the offer of the books but cannot make it to Leicester its very good of you. From Michael.
-
Hello all thanks for your help and the link (that is a good site). but need some more help !. Setting up Group policy's for my users and there computers. open AD users and computers>properties>GP tab>New>give it a name>press enter>edit>configure>Save. But Its changed the DC settings as well ?. eg. I set up that users could not turn off computers ... so I end up not being able to turn of the DC when I have finished working on it tonight . Where have I gone wrong this time. From Michael.
-
Hi Thanks for comments. Being an ex Scientist I have got use to things not working as you want them too !. see my members post here http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120 The book I was given is 'Windows 2000 Server for Dummies' you can see which bit I am !!!. From Michael.
-
Hi Thanks for comments. Still unsure if I have to select DCHP server options if I want these services to run or does work with out ticking the options box's From Michael.
-
Hi Kingswood thanks for reply. Have a look at my old post here.. http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3690 on the last page there is a diagram. You need the belkin utility to connect the adaptors peer to peer. Adaptor type = http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=203472 with 128bit encryption with alphanumeric key. What has happened is that if you plug the usb adaptor into say the second usb socket you get the usual ms has detected new hardware box etc. then installs the usb driver and then uses an other network connection from the first time. Then I have been using usb active extension leads (5Mts long) it then goes through the above set up again and uses yet another network connection ( the others now been hidden) but it tells you they are there if you set up a static ip address. I cannot find out how to get rid of the hidden ones. From Michael.
-
Hello, My next problem on W2K adv. Server (set up as a router) is I'm experimenting with a p2p wifi connection home to school (about 150Mts.). I have been testing using Belkin USB Wifi adaptors (about £20 each) and first indications are looking good, but I have ended up with a number of unwanted HIDDEN NETWORK CONNECTIONS that I need to get rid of and they do not show up in the network connection tab. What is happening is the belkin wireless utility is saying that I do not have a connection but icon in the system tray says there is and backing that up by 'pinging'. From Michael. Edit... I have show hidden files enabled in folder veiw ...edit
-
Hello All. We have just gone on to BT Broadband 4meg download 500k upload from ISDN @64kbps, so it will be a big difference .( we are out in the sticks about 3 miles from the exchange). I have just built a 'Smoothwall Box' and I want to add the DG content filter but need my hand holding and talking through doing it can any one help please. Regards Michael.
-
Hello All. Help please with setting up this server for the first time. Just need a basic set up to run AD ,do updates and be in control of the workstations to stop the little darlings changing all the settings. W2K adv. Server. to serve 30 computers On DHCP 'server options' do I select :- 004 Time server. 006 DNS. 015 DNS domain name. And on DNS do I have to set up the 'Reverse look up zones' ?. Any tips about setting up Active Directory.with Mandatory Profiles from scratch. Regards Michael.
-
Hello. At about 1am this morning I hit myself on the head for doing something so daft and I now have AD installed on the server . I have the server at home working on it before I install it at school for the first time. (only live 150 mt from the school). To help any one who has a similar problem this is the daft thing I was doing :- On the AD wizard at one stage it recommends to store three different items on separate disks. eg. database @ C:\winnt\ntds so what I did was to click on the 'Browse' button and pick a different disk from the list, I used M:\ so clicked on that and then made the other two choices for the other two items eg. log and sysvol. Then I continued with the rest of the wizard. And that's the problem I ended up with just M:\ for the disk and it had deleted (In my example above) winnt\ntds. So it confused it as to where to sent the info. So this is what I did . right click on C:\ of my example above and change it to M:\ So I ended up M:\winnt\ntds. set the other two disks up and continued with the wizard ....It Worked.... Thanks for all your help. Regards Michael.
-
Hello all. To day I removed DNS and the server is plugged into a switch and on network properties DNS points to its self., so I tried about four times to configure AD but I get this 'New Credential's box comes up and says 'Access Denied'. (see first post) So getting fed up I had not configured much on the server and did a new install and put the service packs on, but this time I did not set up DHCP or DNS first, then tried setting up AD again and the same thing happened. Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong ?. and what is this 'New Credential's box that comes up ?. what is it for ?. From Fed up Michael. Ps On my test set up I have used ' .Local ' before but will try .school
-
Hi. Thanks for advice and link, I will try it out today and let you know. Michael.
-
Hello All. I'm trying to set up active directory on a W2k server, it will be used for the school network of 30 computers, we have not had a domain before. I have done a fresh install and give it a computer name of 'schoolserver' and want to be on a domain of 'DCHS.local' . I think I have now set up the DNS server. it comes up with the name 'schoolserver' and the ip= 192.168.0.10 which is the static ip address for the server, and I can 'ping' its self eg schoolserver ..thats OK. I come to use the active directory wizard and fill it all in, press finish, then it starts to configures it and then comes up with a box that says ""Edit" " 'New Cridential's' ""Edit"" 'access denied' and below its got user name, password, domain. I have tried to fill these in but it just keeps coming back. On the fill in box on the wizard for DNS name I put 'DCHS.local' What am I doing wrong . ?. I have been at it most of today !!!. Help please. Michael.
