_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
It's definately not a local cache. The cache server is a Linux box installed by our LEA before I arrived here... I have never touched it before (apart from to reboot it) and I hope I never have to (while I love Linux, I don't know it anywhere near as well as I know windows). Unfortunately it does have to all go through that proxy, there is no other route. It wasn't so bad with just FTP... there was small ways around that with what I was doing at the time (renaming files and their sizes etc.) but since I installed a flash module its been a problem. I only realised it was the cache because I tried to fix a problem with it last week and my solution "didn't work". I come in this morning and it works fine. I tried to make some more changes a few mins ago and its still reloading the old flash module. It's starting to bug me now... it may end up in that smashed computer component pile gathering up outside my window. How many of you got your own internet connection purely for your own use at work? I know someone who did that.
-
Does anyone know any easy ways of stopping these causing problems for us... especially when doing things such as designing a website. I have had problems before when FTP'ing but now i'm having difficulty seeing changes I have made to the site, especially with flash... in fact I think I can put most of the problems I have had with designing the site down to the cache on the server. What an absolute pain...
-
Okay, tried eean's way but failed miserably. I just can't understand MSI's very well . Okay, so back to stage one. I am determined to do this one way or another. It's just this stupid standby issue... the script I made works 100% perfectly (I was impressed with how flexible and smooth it was) APART from when the computer is in standby. Why can't microsoft make a setting that does what it says, no more, no less? No matter what I do the computers still manage to end up in standby I cannot get wake on lan to work, no matter what I do. I don't even need these 'magic packets' because I don't really want the computers going into standby at all, so I don't care if they wake up randomly. I keep reading on the net that I might have to make a hardware adjustment to the NICs...
-
You are kidding me? I had no idea. Thats something they don't brag about, haha.
-
Good recommendation. I had a teacher come to me with a problem playing a DVD on her laptop the other day using power DVD (I think it was). The video was fine, but audio was jumpy. At first I thought it was the speakers but changing them made no difference. So I installed VLC and it now works like a charm... Who would have guessed the free software works better then the stuff you have to pay for? I love VLC so much.
-
Haha. Sorry.... I have to ask. What experience did you have that caused you to say this?
-
98 PCs & laptops in primary schools Six servers Development and maintance of two completely different websites Plus all usual stuff (whiteboards etc.) This is a mixture of both schools that I work for. There is just me and my network manager (who also works at both schools but only spends half a day at each per week due to the masses of other schools he works for). I think I have it easy compared to you all.
-
I'm a little bit confused. I loaded up the "KS2 targets" template. Once that loaded I imported student details by clicking students >> students for course/year >> KS2 Year 6 (doesn't matter which year I select, they all have the same problems). The 'Edit' and 'Delete' buttons appear when I right click on a cell... on certain people (records) they are greyed out, but for no apparent reason. Double clicking doesn't make any difference either... the drop down menu just refuses to appear on these cells. I'm confused because I would understand there was a permissions problem if it happened to all the students, but it's just a select few?
-
Indeed. Is there a better way? As I say, I never never used this software before. I feel like a n00b
-
Okay, now i'm fairly certain this is an ID10t error on my part, so bear with me. I have -never- really used CMIS before so I think teachers know much more about this then I do. Have logged into CMIS, clicked on assessments, then 'enter results'. I have loaded up a group of students and found that an awful lot of the students that don't currently have results entered seem to be acting as if they are read only. Yet the ones that currently have grades entered and a small minority of the blank ones work fine. I can right click on most of the cells and edit the data, but on the certain students mentioned above, the 'edit' and 'delete' text is greyed out. I'm betting this is a really simple problem (they tell me it has happened before but cannot remember the solution). Can anyone give me any pointers? Cheers
-
I wanted them to remain best quality really... the are going to be in a place on the site that you can't really miss them and my GIMP skills are only very basic. I'm not sure of the reason for no staff photos, its just what I have been told. I'm not sure they really know themselves. I spent about two hours searching for about three decent images yesterday but failed miserably to even find one. The only decent images come directly from other school websites (i'm jealous... I wanna be allowed to take photos of the kids )
-
I mentioned this as the other school I work for has done it. Unfortunately though they are determined there is going to be no way they can get into any trouble regardless of what happens, which with todays sue culture, I really can't blame them. I'm gonna keep browsing the net for any potential images anyway cos I desperately need them to cover up a major area of a site.
-
Cheers for that. Been having a browse through, but not able to find anything suitable. Our kids wear a red uniform and I can't find any kids wearing even remotely that colour unfortunately . I'm really annoyed about the policy of having no pics of our children... but I guess there is a lot of sense behind it. Maybe I could paste the face of celebs over all the kids faces and hope no-one notices 8)
-
Lol, how many swear words can there actually be? Not being someone who uses -any- vulgar language, i'd have probably ended up with a list of about 15-20 words max lol.
-
Hey, Having been told by my school that I am not allowed -any- photos/drawings of children, staff or anywhere inside the school on the website, I thought that the photos of kids didn't actually have to be kids from our school, therefore getting me off the hook (I think it should work as long as I am selective about the pictures). Obviously they cannot be kids from any other random school either, so I need them to be royalty free. Having never really used royalty free images before (yeah, i''m ignorant of copyright ) I only realised today that most sites charge for them and the ones that don't only contain very few images. Does anyone have any suggestions of any sites that contain large databases of royalty free images that really are free? Cheers
-
I had the same problem. See my post above and attached there is a MSI file. It installs a windows task to run psshutdown. The windows task wakes the computer up to run. It's currently set to 6pm (so long as the computer hasn't been used for the past 15 minutes). To change it you'll need to install it, change the time on the task in task scheduler then update the file in the msi, using any msi editor. Thanks eean. I will actually have a look at this as it seems like a very good method. The only reason I didn't before is that I know nothing about MSIs... I have only been working in IT since march after coming out of college and i'm still learning . My network manager literally told me they are used for deploying software over the network, but I have no idea how or how to edit them. Are there any tutorials anyone knows of that I can follow?
-
Okay, I got the info I needed off the web. For anyone who may or may not need it in the future:
-
Unfortunately the one I bought over the weekend doesn't have the blocked hole . This is the one I bought: link
-
Lol yeah but which way around does it go? I wouldn't have been too worried if it wasn't for people saying they had fried the drive doing it in the past. I need to check now before I can do it
-
Last time I used one of those (several moons ago) it fried the drive... An object lesson in making sure the connector is the right way round I think! Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but which way around do you connect it? I'm about to do this now and frying the drive is not an option. I know the red strip means pin 1, but which is pin 1? :S
-
Haha. Geoff doesn't know it, but my brother and myself love his posts. He makes some extremely good points about linux and doesn't worry about being discrete by posting in blogs hidden on the internet lol.
-
That does look very useful DHCP, i'll make a mental note of that software. But with my current task i'm not sure it really helps. I have the software I need to do it that can be run as a batch script straight from the server (which is perfect). It doesn't even require any credentials, so no clear text passwords. I have currently got a machine in testing to see whether it will eventually go into standby mode or whether I am in the clear. I was just wondering if anyone knew what win2k was set to do by default when there is no user logged on.
-
Sorry to bring this up again, but i've been working on getting all of our client machines to shut down at 7:30pm. I downloaded Beyondexec as it doesn't have some of the problems that the standard shutdown.exe has. I can get the entire network to shut down successfully within about two minutes (probably less) but yesterday I found a couple of machines were in standby mode, therefore they would not shut down when asked. I'm not entirely sure why they were in standby mode in the first place... does windows 2000 automatically do this after a certain amount of idle time if there isn't a user logged in? If it does, is there any way to stop it doing so?
-
Webman... you might wanna remove the name off that image... probably just me being over cautious though.
-
I am probably just stating the obvious here and I don't know how often it applies, but during the interview process and testing, I am always so nervous that I cannot concentrate. While the tasks above are simple, would they be that simple when you know someone is watching you and whether you get the job or not depends on whether you can fix it or not? I know it sounds silly, but I have screwed up the easiest of tasks before due to nerves.
