_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Nope - but with any luck I have found a version that works. So i'll have a mess around with gallery2 and see what happens. It's a terrible shame that the 'zoom' gallery had so many bugs, it has great potential. Thanks for the suggestion.
-
I tried this. Every time I try and upload I get: Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. (I feel like yelling "I am the server administrator but I STILL don't know what the problem is!") I will try an earlier version and see if that makes any difference. I'm guessing it won't.
-
Are there any recommends? I have been searching all weekend for an image gallery which does the job and actually works. The best looking and feature rich one seemed to be 'zoom'... yet i've had nightmares getting this darn thing to work. No matter what I do, I cannot upload pictures... it keeps freezing. I've tried some older versions but came across different bugs trying to do the same thing. Makes me wonder why the thing was released with such major bugs. So.. I need help you joomla experts. Which one do I choose that works? Most of all I just want a basic image gallery that has as little bugs as possible, but any cool features (I liked the 'zoom' feature on the zoom gallery) would be appreciated (as the kids love stuff like that). Cheers.
-
Mmm.. I look after a 10+ year old net forum that by it's nature, tends to attract a more obesssive crowd than usual and we do get a few paranoid folk. One is extreme (meandering tales of plots to kill her) and although it's mildly entertaining at first glance, you have to pity them.. there but for the grace of.. etc. I think many simply just do not realise what they are going through. It is not considered an illness as much as it is considered just being 'stupid' or 'pathetic'. Usually they are aware of the stupidity of what they are doing, but just feel the need/compulsion to do it anyway. They are aware of what the reality of the situation probably is, but just because of the off chance that their paranoid feelings might be right, they worry to excess - it is not a nice feeling I'm sure.
-
Obsessive compulsive disorder can cause things like this as well. Chances are that the above and the post that Dox Box linked to were asked so someone could just confirm to them that they weren't being watched. They know what they are asking is stupid and really they know the correct answer deep down, but just can't help but ask due to worrying about it.
-
- 94 Desktop/laptop machines - 26 Interactive whiteboards along with 26 projectors - Two separate in-house school websites - Six servers - 10 Admin machines - Four laserjet printers - 12 very old inkjet printers - Anti virus - Facility CMIS - Facility EPortal I'm paid £14,300. There is a NM above me but only see him about half a day a week due to other schools he works for. I'm perfectly happy with that wage. Not entirely sure what others make of it but from what i've seen, on this thread so far, my situation appears to be very good. Because I have built (and am still building) the websites from scratch, they take up a lot of my time. As webman points out, trying to get the teachers to give in content for the website takes ages as well.
-
Haha, you appear to have exactly the same scenario as me and have done exactly the same thing as me. I just hope it goes as well for me as it has done for you. I also think the cable ties sound like a good idea. If it doesn't work that may be another thing to look into - probably the first potential solution!
-
across your network. I'm just wondering because I want to change our home page from the BGfL page (as it takes so long to load) and need some ideas. I don't really want something as boring as the BGfL home page either. I would make my own, but I'm stuck for ideas.
-
Thanks for all the suggestions. Buying a labelling machine is not really possible - we are only a primary school so it probably wouldn't be worth it. If the next plan of my ICT Coordinator doesn't work (we got around the sellotape part - the only thing that can go wrong now is that the kids pull them off) then i'll look into both labels on the ceiling and a room plan/diagram/layout on the noticeboard. Both these seem like very good ideas.
-
Hahaha... it's not gonna happen. If I do this they'll still write stuff like 'the machine beneath the big "I" on the notice board'. Not sure why, maybe people with more experience in schools then me can tell me?
-
Thanks for the ideas everyone. We already use this - a very useful freebie. The problem is caused when the machine won't even switch on though.
-
Seemingly simple task... but not so easy at all. My ICT Coordinator told me to print off some labels which contain the number of each machine and stick each label to the correct machine (beneath the monitor where the kids cannot see it) with sellotape. I was skeptical from the second she said to do this, but did it anyway for lack of a better idea. Have now come back from christmas holidays and the labels are already starting to peel off. Yet the kids haven't even been here to pull them off yet! My ICT coordinator wanted the machines labelled physically in case a computer broke, therefore they can write exactly which machine there is a problem with in the book. How does everyone do it here?
-
I cannot get any control over the filter then though, can I? I also cannot see what students have been doing (not that being able to makes much difference anyway - I can only see the last 800 web connections. Taking into account all the adverts and pictures etc, this only means about the last ten minutes).
-
Grumbledook - I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it because it comes up with an error, but it is important. Cheers.
-
Does anyone know much about the proxy servers that the BGfL use? I believe a lot of schools use eduproxy.bgfl.org to connect to the internet, but that doesn't seem to work with internet logs etc. I've seen the proxy address changed in one of my other schools to something like proxy.schoolname.bgfl.org with a different port. This then also requires each user to enter a username and password each time they open a web browser, which is how the logging works. Enabling this also makes it easier for the kids to access their e-mail once I have set them all up with user accounts. Not entirely sure if I have the proxy address accurate though and have no idea what the port is. Can't find any info on this on the BGfL website either. Can anyone shed any light? Cheers James
-
Lol, I still find it amazing the amount that people charge to design a website. This is to excess, but even the standard prices concern me. I guess at the end of the day, it's just the amount of man hours it takes to do it, especially from scratch. If you are a web design company though, you'll no doubt have a series of prebuilt templates you have "made earlier". Plus if they use an open source CMS (I think most should now unless they have built their own) that'll take even less time.
-
Define this.
-
It's the second time that I have read one of his posts at exactly the same time as drinking water and can't help but laugh, therefore choking and sending the lot all over my monitor and keyboard - but this time it was at work and I can cause a lot more damage by doing it as I work in the server room lol. It's all your fault webman
-
Yeah, thats why I phoned them. I'm pretty sure none of us on here would do any damage, but I was worried that some student lurking around the site might eventually see it and find it funny to deface them. The password was changed immediately after I spoke to one of their technical support, I'm guessing therefore it was them that changed it. He seemed a bit shocked himself as I was talking to him, I guess he assumed I had hacked into the site or something. I e-mailed them to confirm afterwards, but not received a reply yet.
-
Webman - Why don't edugeek employ you to keep the spirit on this forum? I really think they should. No-one can feel at all down after you have responded to their posts
-
Yeah - I realised that account had full access to every single website on there. I saw a list of user accounts - one for each website. I could edit passwords etc. Not good, so I phoned their technical support. I have also e-mailed them to confirm. Appears they have responded though, which is good news.
-
What the heck does that give access to? Everytime I try I get taken to a template admin area, but not for that site I tried it on. I will e-mail them and tell them if it is a big security flaw, but only if someone who tried it can access the backend of the live websites. I think it is something they give out anyway as a demo?
-
I don't understand that. Any company who claims they do "professional" website design surely must include cross browser compatibility? Otherwise how can it possibly be professional? I always considered cross browser compatibility to be a major factor in designing a website. Any company who misses that bit out must be ripping you off, they are cheating and hoping you won't realise?
-
Another great thing about being able to post comments about companies like this on a forum as popular and closely related as this one, is that the company themselves will no doubt spot the comments and if they are at all professional, try and do something about it.
-
Still the same error unfortunately .
