_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
Jake is the expert for getting out from behind bars. Still don't know how he gets out of his cage... -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
Come on, we all know Geoff isn't a technician. He is a bot with a knowledgebase 15 times the size of wikipedia . -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
That's true. However I still don't think their actions are morally correct and I also don't believe whichever company it is has done themselves any favours. As Grommit said, actually discussing the threads with their customers and trying to figure out why their products got such bad "reviews" as opposed to purely focusing on their image would have gotten them much more kudos. -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
I was not aware that ANY company could do this anyway? What legal rights do they have over this forum? I don't see where they get right to demand you remove it to be honest... it's like demanding that a review of their products on a review website be removed because it says bad stuff about the product... Or am I looking at this the wrong way? EDIT: I take it that it is sophos then? Threatening a forum filled with with their customers with legal action isn't the way I'd have chosen to handle things... I have no problems with their software, I quite like it in fact, but if it is them, I'll be seeing them in a different light in future. -
No-one? Is this a buy a new projector solution then?
-
Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight
_Bat_ replied to pete's topic in Wireless Networks
Erm, do I dare ask what you were doing last night? Have you managed to work out the exact GPS coordinates of WITCH yet, who happened to be moving into your county? Hehe. -
Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight
_Bat_ replied to pete's topic in Wireless Networks
That reminds me of the saying "A wise man learns from his own mistakes, but a really wise man learns from the mistakes of others". Have we learnt from the mistake our ancestors made with smoking etc? I'm sorry to go so much against the crowd here, but the conversation that is taking place here strikes me as something that would have happened if I went back in time to around 1850 and told them smoking tabacco wasn't good for your health. Do you think they'd have mocked me and laughed at me? Of course they would. That said, I've stated in a previous post that there is not a lot we can do about it. In answer to my own question above, of course we haven't learnt from the mistakes our anscestors made. We rarely do. That's just human nature. It's too late now... we have implemented this technology with little research into it's long term effects and trying to stop it now would be like trying to stop the world using cars. -
I'm going to have to add to these "dodgy projector" posts I'm afraid. We have an Hitachi CP-X275 projector which is acting up. If you switch it on, nothing is shown from the lamp at all, no light is produced. The power indicator flashes green for about 60 seconds then starts flashing red and the lamp indictator is static red. We have replaced the lamp twice now, but neither new lamp made any difference. I have cleaned it out as much as possible with a vacuum, but again, this made no difference. The manual says that light sequence means: "There is a possibility that the interior portion has become heated. Turn the power OFF and waitapproximately 20 minutes. After the main unit has cooled down, please confirm whether or notthere is blockage of the air passage aperture, whether or not the filter is dirty, and/or whether ornot the peripheral temperature exceeds 35°C, etc. After performing any needed maintenance,turn the power ON again; if the same display is displayed, then please change the lamp". The filter has been cleaned as well as the vents vacuumed out. Any advice appreciated Thanks
-
Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight
_Bat_ replied to pete's topic in Wireless Networks
Hehehehehe. I should have guessed. Like many people have said before though, I'd use anything as an excuse to get rid of wireless. I hate it. Causes me a lot of grief (fortunately all outside of work as we don't use wireless at school). -
Panorama's "Wireless in schools" Program 8:30 Tonight
_Bat_ replied to pete's topic in Wireless Networks
I couldn't agree more with you. I too have the same thoughts. Mobile phones have not been proved dangerous, however, I suspect most of us here (and elsewhere) believe that they are. Most people generally believe that they can aid towards cancer. So why wouldn't wifi be dangerous too? The thing is, even though most people suspect mobile phones are dangerous, those same people (including myself) carry a mobile phone with them. That suggests to me that the same will happen with wifi. You won't get rid of it now... it's too late. Wifi is everywhere, not just in schools. My brother (the geek that he is) carried a laptop into the bullring in Birmingham to do a test on wireless networks. He detected 8. EIGHT different wireless networks... are we going to ban children from the bullring (and most other places)? Or are we going to ban wireless totally? Doubt it. -
We defrag our servers as often as holidays permit, however I've never seen scandisk in action on the servers before.
-
Oh and ignore the teachers when they try and make you nervous as they "emphasis how important these exams are". They want you to pass your exams first time because it makes them look good as a school (or as a teacher). They don't want you to pass them somewhere else purely for that reason. The reality is as I stated above in my last post. Of course it's always better for you to pass them first time around, but only because it will save you time in the long run, no other reason. I'll admit now, I failed a vital subject first time around (it was English actually). I passed it in college the next year though at the same time as taking my computing qualification at A level. So all is not lost .
-
Just bear in mine that if you fail your GCSEs, it isn't the end of the world. Qualifications can be gained at any stage of your life. You can retake your GCSEs at college and even afterwards at nightschool, so don't think failing is dreadfully bad or anything, because it isn't. It's not like this is a once in a life time opportunity, you'll have endless opportunities to get these qualifications. Don't worry about looking bad in front of your mates. It's not important what they think. You are not taking your GCSEs to impress them and if they think you are "thick" if you fail any of them, that is their problem, not yours. One of my mums friends failed every single one of her GCSEs four times over (and I really mean every one) then passed them all the fifth time. She is now a social worker and from what I hear, is highly respected. So all in all, don't worry...
-
Guess FAST don't get out and about as often as they try and make out . I assume they only act on tip offs anyway?
-
I know it HAS happened, but I too would like to hear stories from people first hand. Who has had them come to check and HOW do they check (I know it takes ME for forever to manually audit my networks, let alone THEM). What do they do if they discover unpaid for software on the network (or software for which we have no evidence of having bought i.e. lost paperwork for licenses)?
-
Teachers resetting pupil passwords
_Bat_ replied to dave-a's topic in Network and Classroom Management
How many primary schools give all the pupils a unique password? All of our pupils have the same network logon password for this reason. They WILL forget it. At one school, pupils were allowed to set their own password for their new e-mail accounts. I counted at least 25 times within the first two weeks (and many more times afterwards) that the following conversation took place: Teacher: Student X cannot log on to their e-mail Me: (to pupil) Did you change your password from the default password? Pupil: Yeah Me: What did you change it to? Pupil: I can't remember My college had a great way of doing it. At the beginning of every year, all new students had an account and password generated for them automatically. The usernames and passwords were printed off and handed to the reception "helpdesk" staff in the learning centre. Students were not allowed to change their own passwords, so any student who forgot their password went to the helpdesk in the learning centre and it would be given to them once they proved who they were. The above way of doing it meant that resetting passwords was never an issue for the IT support staff and the helpdesk staff only had to look up what the password was, not actually change it. -
I replied to one of these with a fake e-mail address. Here in our correspondence so far: EDIT: Removed text so search engines can't pick it up. Please look at attachments instead. Ideas of what I should say in my reply are welcome .
-
What kind of trouble did you have with it?
-
Am looking into setting up a dedicated OCS Inventory server over the weekend (probably an ubuntu system as we don't have a spare windows server license). I've never done this before, is it difficult to set up? I'm doing it as an experiment, if it works (and impresses my network manager) it'll probably end up implemented in a number of other primary schools. Also, how much does it record? Does it do serial numbers, windows license keys etc? What other useful info does it record other then what hardware is in the machine and the software applications installed? What kind of useful graphs does it display in the web interface? Thanks for any info
-
Haha, you could have mentioned this site, Tony . 8O tut tut
-
They never support any of them because they most likely don't even know they exist . Don't you actually get more money on benefits then actually working these days anyway?
-
A vet . Always loved animals
-
Win 2000 and XP. Thanks very much everyone, I just tried it and it worked. I didn't expect it to cos I tried the manual install before and it failed. Think I know why that happened now though and it's not related. Thanks .
-
We have sophos enterprise manager installed across our domain network, however there are a few PCs scattered around the school that cannot be on the domain for various reasons. They are connected physically to the network for internet, but not on the domain. Is there any way at all of getting sophos to install and update from the server on these standalone PCs? I don't want to leave these PCs unprotected . I'm guessing the answer is no though.
-
Beat me to it, Craig
