_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Ahhh... this is where the joys of working in a primary school kick in. Damage done to PCs on purpose: 0% ... quite literally. The worst I have seen is the kids continually turning the computers off at the plug sockets, but this isn't trying to damage the computers, it's just a lack of knowledge of how to shut them down. Okay that isn't quite true, I have come across chewing gum in the CD drive once before... but that was only once. And yes, whoever said it was boys that do the damage would be correct. That was always the case in my college... the girls seemed to have a lot more common sense and were above such things.
-
My network manager left a CD of MP3s in our office which I use .
-
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
How many of you on here have commented? I commented in reply to this post: because I thought it was extremely unfair. -
Yeah, we just use blue with school badge and details of account in top right hand corner using bginfo.
-
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
You posted it in the security forum. For obvious reasons that section of the forum is purposely kept away from search engine spiders . Thats the reason why people can't see it without logging in anyway. -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
Haha, nice. -
Another one for BGInfo. It's what we use here... makes it look professional.
-
As has been said, it won't be because he doesn't want you there. It's more because he wasn't asked. After all, surely the whole point of us being in the schools is to further students/pupils education in respect to ICT (in the long run)? What better way of doing that for you then this?
-
I second that. Anyone who lives in Somerset want to swap places?
-
We have never bought any... they just come with a lot of the computers we buy and whenever we replace a pc we obviously strip it down first before throwing it away (and the patch lead is obviously a very useful thing to keep). In both my schools now we have loads of spare patch leads since both have had new ict suites installed. EDIT: Thats not quite true, I have bought long ones (I think they were 25M) from misco before for £10.99 each... which I personally thought was a pretty good deal .
-
Displaying what the teacher is doing on all workstations
_Bat_ replied to _Bat_'s topic in How do you do....it?
Have looked at all of these sites and AB Tutor LOOKS to be the best. I'll install the free trial and if the teachers like it, will look into paying £150 for a USB Stick license. It certainly looks good value for what it is... Thanks for the suggestions -
I've been asked what software we could use that would allow a teacher to automatically switch all the pupils workstations in a certain room so that they are displaying what the teacher is seeing on her monitor. I'm sure I have seen something like this mentioned on here before, but not sure where to find it again. Has anyone else done something like this? Cheers
-
We use sysprep... the only time we haven't used it was when creating an image for PCs we were giving away to staff. It was unnecessary in that case. Never used newsid before.
-
I'm sure Craig will have him trained pretty soon. Most toddlers play with large toy bricks to build... well I'm sure THEY know what they are building. Not an edugeek toddler though... thats what motherboards, graphics cards, RAM, processors and network cards are for. Congratulations mate!
-
I suppose it depends how long the interviews went on for. They may ring you first thing tomorrow if you have got it, as ringing a person in the evening can be considered impolite. However, I'll be honest and admit it doesn't look good. Don't worry though... everyone goes through this. The more interviews you have, the better you'll get. I know they can't exactly be called a nice experience, but there are advantages to it all even if you don't get the job. I still think you should do voluntary IT support somewhere (bear in mind that there are a lot of places that can't afford IT support and are practically crying out for it)... it'd give you experience and something else to do while you are job hunting. It could also be mentioned in any future interviews. IT Support can be extremely satisfying as you probably already know .
-
I want to implement OCS Inventory (simply to audit the network) soon so could I ask some questions too? 1. By agent, I assume you mean the software installed onto the client machines to report back to the server? 2. If so, can this be installed via user login script? I'm sure this was the case when I played about with this a long time ago. All it seemed to require was a line or two in the login script and that was all that was needed for the client computers. 3. Why is there such a long delay as stated above? Can this be changed? Or is that not recommended? Are there any other issues that I should know about? At the moment my plan of action is to install ubuntu on an old server and installed OCS Inventory on that. I'll reserve an IP address on our DHCP server for it and place the server in the necessary location. Then add in additions to login script? Is that correct? Thanks.
-
You mean shitsu of course?
-
This certainly looks useful! I agree with the comment about primary schools. We could certainly make use of a lot of stuff secondary schools throw out (which is an awful shame really, I think we should be more closely linked with the local secondary schools). We have a bunch of 300MHz and 600MHz Tiny computers stacked up at the back of the ICT Suite waiting for me to decide exactly what to do with them. I'm doubting anyone on here wants them though and I don't even think ICT Direct would take them as a donation they are that old.
-
I rarely use youtube, but I thought that if a video was flagged as inappropriate, it'd be unavailable to unregistered users (and ones that were younger then 18 ). Maybe I got this wrong though.
-
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
It looks like everyone here feels the same with regards to sophos handling it differently, taking into account previous posts. I strongly suspect a sophos representative will read this at some point (hopefully from the legal department) so maybe they'll actually try and interact with and help their customers in future and not just silence them. It doesn't give a good impression when you threaten to sue the owner of a forum which accomodates a rather large group of your current and potential customers. Other companies have seen bad things written about their services on this website before. In one case, credentials of a full blown admin account for a large amount of websites designed by a company were published on this website. The thread they were publised on was full of negative comments about said company. If anything could have caused the site admin to be taken to court, it was that (even though it wasn't intended to be malicious (the person who published them was trying to prove how insecure the sites were) and the details were removed quickly, a lot of people still saw them). Yet the company in question didn't take edugeek to court, instead they interacted with the users of this forum and attempted to put the problems right (I believe they suceeded too). I think a lot of people changed their opinions about this company afterwards. Thats my 2p anyway. -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
This thread is taking quite an interesting change of topic... how on earth did we get to parsnips and parsnip farmers? -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
It'd be a very boring world, Jake, if we all had the same personality. Same goes for this forum... it'd be a very boring place to be if all that was discussed was work and more work. Who wants to discuss work when they are at home (loads of people do come onto this forum at home). So make sure you aren't a traitor and stay here! (not that WITCH is giving you much choice ) -
Do you mind if I ask where you work?
-
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
I agree I also agree. I suspect though that if Dos_Box allowed it to continue that edugeek would be shut down. We are still allowed to give our opinions on products, just as long as it is... backed up by evidence in effect, I suppose. -
EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences
_Bat_ replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
I believe it is sophos... certain bad posts I knew were in existance about them a couple of months back are no longer there today, so I think that's evidence enough.
