Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Just on the 2k peak infections a day, I think it was 200k, but to be honest, the gov pubished figures are effectively a sample which I wonder if it is becoming a smaller and smaller sample. Increasingly, I'd rely on the ONS survey where I would trust they use an appropriate sampling technique to get the most useful value - although I haven't researched it and you could get a degree on sampling techniques! An interesting discussion from a GP whilst on the radio whilst doing the school run. It was emphasised about the importance of continued monitoring and I detected a concern around a big drop in testing in terms of spotting flare ups and/or variants breaking through. Also had a chat with a surgeon friend who is at home as he can't do his electives as beds aren't available. Covid is behind it, but whole wards are closed with an outbreak so that's current frontline impact. His biggest concern is the rules and subsequent behaviours being dropped too fast. I think this in many ways is the change challenge we are all having deal with. To me, and I've been cautious throughout this pandemic, it does feel a rapid change. Perhaps if figures improve in the next 5 weeks, it'll feel different at the time. Take just one data point, hospitalisations. I know there is a lag from infections, but they are still very high at over 1,000 per day. If they continue to drop at current rates, by April they could be much lower, even below a hundred, but we will have to wait and see. My feeling is that it won't get that low and in England, I think we may see an impact of the Omicron BA.2 variant.
  2. Earlier in the thread, we touch upon excess deaths. Not directly related, but I'm currently building skills on Power BI, but related to excess deaths, there is an excellent example of Power BI in action - https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYmUwNmFhMjYtNGZhYS00NDk2LWFlMTAtOTg0OGNhNmFiNGM0IiwidCI6ImVlNGUxNDk5LTRhMzUtNGIyZS1hZDQ3LTVmM2NmOWRlODY2NiIsImMiOjh9 It's fascinating to explore the data - as an example, look at the data for 'Location of Death' - the visualisation of that data is quite revealing.
  3. I agree, but I like to think those with that sense of propriety are still in the majority. Unfortunately those that don't have that tend to dominate the news and it can skew perceptions. It's also why, in spite of the recent announcements, it won't be an overnight change in behaviour because behavioural impact isn't solely as a result of law changes.
  4. What's the profile of those deaths over the months? I'm sure it's not steady state so understanding the picture more clearly would provide more meaningful context to the current discussion. *** EDIT, BTW, would you go if the island didn't have internet connection but the mainland did? The reason I ask is, in some ways it encapsulates the analogy of a more restrictive environment versus the so-called living with the virus ***
  5. If I understand correctly, the advice is to isolate, but it's no longer a legal requirement. Worth noting this public health advice was stated as being a sensible thing to do with other infections too, including things like norovirus. Where coronavirus differs, is there is a currently readily available test to identify it. In terms of longer term, whether testing remains more important for coronavirus is a key question. As far as I know, norovirus, colds, common flu don't have same risk of long term effects, not the risk to mutuate into something more nasty.
  6. Percentage with antibodies has shifted dramatically in just over a year - I doubt any other disease has this profile. Regardless, still feels a bit early to be dropping all restrictions, but I expect many will continue with sensible precautions. I guess we'll know later today the plan and the decision around the contentious topic of paying for tests.
  7. I'm hearing quite a number of second cases recently. The current vaccine programme seems to still be successful against severe disease and hospitalisation in the vast majority of cases, but it does look less successful at deeper immunity and preventing transmission. With the vaccine developed for the Omicron variant going through testing, if it is rolled out, it will be interesting to see how the outcomes differ in terms of transmission.
  8. I rejected (on Windows laptop) and it seemed Ok. Even remembered my win streak. On phone, even desktop mode, just couldn't reject or accept! Is that what you mean?
  9. Not so much a joke, but a true experience. One of my brothers had a 2CV and the passenger door fell of outside Argos when my mum got out. She was dead embarrassed! The car was later put up for sale for £45 ono hoping to get something above £30. A local lad visited and said 'Would you take £50'. Of course the offer was accepted immediately!
  10. Thanks James, really helpful information. I doubt there has ever been a situation where one supplier has taken action to keep it's customers and the competition has delighted in the consequences! I think a 'pub chat' would be super interesting compared to what can be said in the public domain, but I do have to say I really don't think DfE have helped schools in any way whatsoever. In what are really challenging times, with schools trying to achieve a lot of educational catch-up, on top of inflation pressures all around (think open windows and rapidly rising heating costs, the recent move by ESS could not have come at a more insensitive time.
  11. Given the different blues on show, it has the look of a cut and shut even if it isn't!
  12. I think that needs a PCR initially, presumably as it's more trusted. I don't think France accepts it anyway. Maybe daily LFTs is a way forward but that gets very expensive and we couldn't book any when we tried before France, before the fully pulled the plug on us Brits. Maybe I need to review Sweden/Norway again as that a destination we have done before at Easter. Staycation skiing doesn't really work!
  13. It would appear the abandonment of PCRs following positive LFTs has screwed our attempts to reschedule our cancelled Xmas ski holiday to Easter. We can't get a certificate for youngest son as not double vaccinated. He can't be vaccinated in time due to 12 week wait post positive. We can't get a certificate showing a positive PCR cause we we asked not to. Just wondering if he did a PCR now whether show positive? Probably won't as it's not really in the spirit of things, and would probably mean unnecessary isolation, but it is super annoying. Maybe the rules will change again.
  14. Ermmm - this was deliberate right?! http://www.edugeek.net/forums/jokes-interweb-things/167807-dad-jokes-thread-30.html#post1881192 I mean, we're not exactly traveling across the centuries here are we? The best bit is @mikeprice giving thanks to his time travelled joke
  15. Speedy work! Off to MI5 you go
  16. Sneaky - took me 6 goes too! It's clear the url where 'word=csvnd' is using a cryptographic technique. Anyone fancy the challenge of working out which crypto technique is being used?! ***EDIT - just spotted the comments about js - that's cheating!!! ***
  17. What baffles me, is for most exams there is an expectation that using a computer is a normal part of their individual schooling, so saving should be a norm. How many of the exams in the thread are accredited or are these mocks or similar. I hope the pupils aren't being asked to use PC's now to find they are not allowed in the real thing.
  18. About two-thirds of mine is about that depth - like you I noticed the difference it has made a difference and we had the wall cavity filled at the same time. The remaining central third is less insulated due to loft boarding and I was thinking about raising on legs too so that I could have both the space and insulation. What legs did you use and was it relative easy and stable? Did you take any steps to keep access to wiring, water pipes etc.?
  19. The future of Dad jokes is in good hands. My two boys came home with these today. Why did the jelly-baby go to school? To become a smartie. ... and my new favourite I just learnt today that I'm colour-blind - that come out of the purple.
  20. If that was indeed the case, I agree it is nonsense. I'll be honest, I haven't heard that theory before but you could be right. I tend to stick to more trusted, medical and scientific perspectives. Conspiracy theorists will always misrepresent facts, but I align more to Prof. (Sir) Whitty's statement from one of the September press briefings on this topic: "repeating them in public actually just gives them credence which they don't need". Ultimately, I think if anyone takes the time to listen through Dr John's Campbell video, the comments made do him an injustice. If conspiracy theorists misuse his scientific commentary for there own warped means, it's unreasonable he should be tainted as a result.
  21. Aha! I had not dug into hard mode but recall the topic being discussed - I don't need to now, I see what they are doing . It would suggest I'm not - so, the big question, should I change or not?
  22. "the new conspiracy number", "conspiracy nutter" - seriously?! I've never been suggested as one of those! For what, commenting on a broad presentation by Dr John Campbell on death figures following a FOI request. I hope others have seen the video and can comment to bring some additional insight, otherwise I will have to draw the conclusion that having covid last year has destroyed my ability to make reasoned observations.
  23. I felt you made the point clearly and I interpreted it in a non-political way.
  24. My strategy with this is not to use any of the four known letters and use as many of the possible first letters in the next guess, to narrow in on the missing letter. With a bit of luck, you could get it in 3 and a good chance in 4. It took me 4 goes today with no matches on go one. *** Saw your subsequent post *** Your strategy worked well too
  25. Dune on Amazon. I see many others here liked it, but like a smaller group, it really didn't hit the sport for me. The other household watchers were equally under-whelmed. I think the slow start was an issue, but also the overly soft speaking early on meant that any minor audience (of 5!) noise meant the speaking was lost. We rarely pay the £14 rate for a movie in, so overall quite disappointed.
×
×
  • Create New...