unixman
Members-
Posts
141 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by unixman
-
We're all in this together
-
doesn't work in Opera or Safari either. (or lynx but I forgave it that)
-
50 of these http://keyosk.co.uk/images-products/pr-key-tag-pt1m.jpg
-
Recommend a camera for a budding hobbyist photographer?
unixman replied to LosOjos's topic in General Chat
I have a Ricoh KR5 which I purchased with my first ever pay cheque in December 1979. It's still as good as the day I bought it. I also regular use a Pentax LX of 1980 vintage (the Rolls Royce of cameras in my opinion) and an Exakta VX from 1951. I'd wonder how many of todays digital cameras will still be in regular use in 30-60 years time? Not many I suspect! -
I always think aeon flux sounds like it should be a toilet cleaner.
-
PEBCAK which I use or PICNIC which my boss likes.
-
Closing Date: 23 November 2009 , Starting Date: September 2010. I would apply but I need a job NOW!
-
Mark Steele told the same story on the News Quiz a couple of weeks ago.
-
I've been trying to get the bursar to let me buy a couple of these as student loan machines. 20.1" Rugged Laptop Computer - Argon Corp Strangely, she is against the idea
-
We have a pair of these BT Synergy 4100 DECT Twin Phone and we are very happy with them - ie they do the job - have enough power to get through the 15t of steel in our walls. There is a similar pair elsewhere in the site which feature an answering machine but I don't know the model other than it is a BT phone (site policy).
-
I whole heartedly recommend the Netgear ReadyNAS 1100 range. Great hardware, excellent o/s, loads of plugins that you can use and community support is pretty good. I've recovered files very easily from them just via the web frontend, or you can get filthy and use ssh if you want. http://www.readynas.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/readynas_comparison.pdf
-
The Gadget Show tested ADSL routers this week. I can't remember what came top of their list, but I do know that the D-Link DKT810 came 10th out of 10, and I fully concur with their verdict. They are complete junk and should be avoided at all costs. I have two of these to administer and I had nothing to do with purchasing them. When we first got them, we were having loads of grief getting them to work and I wanted to disable the firewall on them. There is no check box to do this. I queried D-Link support and they said if a I did a firmware upgrade, the disable firewall checkbox will appear. They also said "Actually you don't need to do that as the firewall doesn't do anything". Love it! So, I did the firmware upgrade and sure enough the disable firewall checkbox appeared. It didn't solve our problem, so I rolled back the firmware to the original and the checkbox remains! They have a nasty habit of forgetting your admin password so that you can't login and the only fix is to reset it completely and redo all your config. I use an old Belkin F5D7630 which I found at a car boot for £10 with no power supply. I knocked him down to a fiver and spent £20 on a generic supply from Maplins - magic! My only complaint with it is that there is no diagnostics (eg ping, traceroute, etc) on the web front end. Check ebay if you want to buy one of these.
-
The Israeli government rejected the name swine flu, and opted to call it "Mexico flu." The US pork industry have also called for a name change; people might think you can catch the disease for eating roast pork. What ever next?
-
Rosetta Stone for Unix covers *almost* every flavour of Unix/Linux.
-
Here's the BBCs take BBC NEWS | Technology | UK government backs open source I do like the term "minister for digital engagement"; fine case of government double-speak.
-
"The government has published its policy on open-source software, promising to use open source rather than proprietary alternatives if there is no significant cost difference in products and services." Government promises more open-source use - ZDNet.co.uk I predict that this will make no difference in the take-up open source software, as decisions are judged on TCO figures, which can be used to show whatever you like. Time for a move to ROI methinks, although this also has problems.
-
These look interesting Marvell's SheevaPlug Linux PC fits in its power adapter - Engadget and you can actually buy one now Marvell: SheevaPlug Development Kit I wish I had some spare time to fiddle with one.
-
I used to know an Andrew Holliday who did his PhD in philosophy, just so he could call himself Doc. I was at school in the 1960's with a Teresa Greene.
-
For great girl fight scenes, anything by Russ Meyer, especially "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!". For great xxx scenes, any of the Ilsa series (banned here in Blighty but you can get them on Amazon.com). The best action films are often said to be those by Bruce Lee, although Carter Huang runs a close second. Personally I prefer samurai films like the "Lone Wolf and Cub" series; number four Lone Wolf and Cub: In Peril is my favourite. The master of samurai films is, of course, Akira Kurosawa. I can highly recommend any of his films.
-
This is not completely accurate. The root account is not disabled; it has an invalid password hash, so that the authentication process will fail.
-
MoinMoin I've used the aforementioned MediaWiki and DocuWiki extensively (I've run all three at different times) and MoinMoin has proven to have the most features and the support community is pretty good. We currently have DocuWiki but soon I will be migrating the whole shebang to MoinMoin.
-
I would do the obvious, which is to rename your directory to something like summer_2009.
