AdamK
Members-
Posts
101 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by AdamK
-
Cool, Let us know if it works. I had to do it on a new install just to update, but I'm guessing it was the same problem your having.
-
under /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo change the https to http for the mirrorlist. Then try it. That solved it for me earlier! Edit: You'll need to do it to all the repos that you are using!
-
Thanks for all the replies I'd be surprised if the current classrooms have a space of 750mm. From a rough guess i'd say its around 600 - 650mm. Its pretty tight in there! Unfortunatly the majority of the classrooms around the school are quite small, so having the rooms changed is a bit of an issue. Currently there is a new building being put up and its likly that they will all be fitted out with computers, but I'm not sure on the room sizes at the moment. I have tried to mention some of the layouts above, such as a row down two of of the walls, then a doubel row coming up the middle where the teacher would only have to move abit to the left or right to see all the screens, but everytime I try to suggest anything but the horseshoe layout the Head of IT shouts at me saying it will not work and that we need new classrooms instead! So I kind of get the feeling that we are going to end up with a classroom setup that can only fit 20 - 24 computers and 4 - 8 students are going to have to sit at tables not using the computers Adam
-
Hi, Recently there has been alot of discussion/arguments at my school about IT classroom layouts so I thought I would ask on here how other schools have their classrooms. Currently our school has a horseshoe layout with 28 thin clients around the wall. The kids are pretty much shoulder to shoulder and the corners are terrible because you get two students really cramped. Over the summer we are hoping to replace one of the rooms with fat machines but its going to be impossible to have room for 28 machines on the desk with space for a monitor, keyboard and definetly no space for mouse movement, it also isnt possible for us to have a cage underneath the desk to put the machine in. Therefore the classroom would not be able to cater for the 28 students that are in each form. Now we have been told that there might be some budget to get proper desking in these classrooms. So I've tried talking to the teaching staff about making use of the floor space and have desking come off the walls, but the Head of IT, who is also the ICT Co-ordinator, just wont listen to our suggestions, as soon as we mention the layout, he says the only way to do it is the horse shoe shape, then he says the classrooms are too small, the class sizes are too big and that the majority of the schools have the exact same layout, but they get bigger classrooms and smaller classes, then he will have a half hour rant about it all. Talking with the IT Teachers they have said that in an ideal world the horseshoe allows them to see all the screens and it also has space in the middle for some desks for working on, but they agree that there isnt enough space for the kids around the walls with the way it is. So I was wondering how other schools have the classrooms set up and if you've got any pictures then please attach. Also it would be interesting to know how many students each of your computers room must cater for. Thanks, Adam p.s. I'm not anti-horseshoe, im just trying to get as much computers in the rooms and give the kids more breathing room
-
Hi, Thanks for everyone's help. After a good nights sleep and a bit more research I found that the cause of the problem was that when the printers are removed from group policy it wasn't updating the registry on the assigned machines due to an error. Apparently there is a hotfix on the MS website, but they only seem to have one for Vista and Server 2008, not XP. So I came up with my own solution. I modified a vbscript on the technet website to to delete all the registry entries for the printers: On Error Resume Next Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 strComputer = "." strKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Connections" Set objRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & _ strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv") DeleteSubkeys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeypath Sub DeleteSubkeys(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath) objRegistry.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, arrSubkeys If IsArray(arrSubkeys) Then For Each strSubkey In arrSubkeys DeleteSubkeys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath & "\" & strSubkey Next End If objRegistry.DeleteKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath End Sub I then added the script to the group policy and set it to run before the push printers exe. I've tested it deploying the printer and that works fine. I've also removed the printer and the script does the job of removing it. I'm not sure if that was the best solution to my problem, but at the end of the day, it works, so I'm happy again Adam
-
I was trying that originally, but the printers didn't get deployed. Then I found a post about using the pushprinterconnections.exe utility, so I followed the instructions for that and it worked straight off with several printers. Then I go to remove the printers and do it properly, but all the removed printers just come back every time I log back on or restart. Why can't things just work for a change! Adam
-
The printers deploy fine. Then when I remove the printers from the policy, update it and restart a couple times, the printers are still there. Then if you delete them manually and restart the computer they come back again. According to this topic it could be down to the newer version of the utility.
-
Hi. I have a problem with removing deployed printers from an XP machine using group policy on 2008 server with the pushprinterconnections utility. Apparently, using the Server 2003 R2 version of it should fix my problem, according to the technet MS forums. So could someone please send it me? Its located in %windir%\system32 Thanks in advance! Adam
-
I personally use Fedora 8 with KDE 3.5 Yum is a decent package manager and to set up a webserver you will need the following 2 packages: mysql-server httpd Installed by: yum install packageName
-
Im abit confussed as to why you named it ifcfg-staff_lan, I would of just kept it as eth0 But a few things to try: Rename it to ifcfg-eth0 then do: ifup eth0 Or just try with your current settings... ifup staff_lan Comparing it with my config files it looks right, so the only thing that is jumping to mind is the file name... Adam
-
It asks me to authenticate when I try it. Im using firefox and linux.
-
We name our servers after the Simpsons
-
yup "rm -rf *" does the trick "rm *" will only delete files and will ask if you are sure you want to delete each file "rm -f *" will force delete of all the files in the directory And as pointed out above, "rm -rf *" will force the deletion of all files and subfolders in the directory
-
I think you still don't have the permissions in write mode when accessing through the GUI, unless you were able to log on as root. I tend to do things through terminal anyway so not 100% sure
-
Did you "su -" into root? With the version of Knoppix I use it loads up as a basic user first, then to do anything you need to change to root! EDIT: Thats assuming your doing it through terminal. You'll prob find you'll have to do it that way. So load up terminal su - cd /media/hda-xyz/location/of/files rm -rf
-
Hi, I'm Adam. I'm an IT Technician in Birmingham, been doing the job going on 6 months now. Been reading the forums for a while now, so thought I should finally register
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
