Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SimonWindisch

Members
  • Posts

    131
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SimonWindisch

  1. Thanks TronXP, I did try this, and it did change the colour, but the missing colours were still missing. Thankfully it was still under warrantee, so it's gone back to Sony. Simon
  2. Hi there, Thanks for that, I should have mentioned that I tried all that, it's snot the leads, this happens with a completely different set of leads on a different computer, it's something inside the projector, I think. Any other ideas?
  3. Hi there, Can anyone give me any advice on this? One of our Sony VPL-EX3 projectors has gone dunny, I can best describe this in pictures. Here's the original picture http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/colour_wheel/10206891231.jpg Here's the picture displayed on a CRT http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/colour_wheel/10206891230.jpg and here it is on the whiteboard http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/colour_wheel/10206891232.jpg. I can' work out what it is. Do you think it can be fixed, or do we need to buy a new one? Thanks - Simon
  4. Hi there, There comes a point when you just have to chuck non-working non-supported software out, and it's Winsuite's time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement. I don't feel up to the jumping off a cliff feeling that using policies gives me. We need to stop the children from messing up the computers, basically. We have pretty simple setup: we're a primary school with 300 children, around 30 PCs, four shared logons for the children. Thanks for your time. Simon Windisch
  5. I have a Windows 2000 Server running Veritas Backup Exec 9.00 Rev 4367 and Microsoft Exchange 2000 This used to work, but in the last month or so When I run a backup job that includes Microsoft Exchange via an M drive the backup job fails with: Final Error code a000fe30 HEX Final error description: A communications failure has occurred "A communications failure has occurred" (a000fe30 HEX or e000fe30 HEX) is reported during a failed backup job of an Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 Server's File System This says that the M drive should not be backed up at all, but I can't see how else to backup the data. I'm trying to think what's changed, and all I can come up with is that we have a new server (2003) which also has Microsoft Exchange (2003). I believe that the old server is still the primary, and I'm hoping to migrate all the email to the new server, but I need to take a backup first!
  6. Thanks for all your help FYI we're going with exceedia.co.uk to supply us with a Moby-Go trolley and a Sharp PG105 projector with speakers and accessories for just under £1000 Simon
  7. Oops, sorry, missed that last update. No I can't ping. Apparently ping is blocked!
  8. Thanks guys, the local authority denies all knowledge of making a change, and that hit is for a local database problem, not for a "failed to connect to server problem" I've been fighting this problem for two days now, I'm going to try installing Sophos on a different server. Simon
  9. Hi there, Since 29th September we've had a problem with Sophos. The message is... Description: The "\\SCH-2K-ALDRYP2\SophosEM" library update task has failed. INDEX 0x8000ffff Update failed. Parent could not be accessed. Check the parent address/path and access settings. INDEX 0x8000ffff Could not read the EM Library database. MCID 0x80040407 Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy Failed to make a connection. VFS 0x80040407 Deploy We're on the SEGfL, and I wonder if it's their firewall blocking Sophos. Has anyone else come across something similar? Thanks - Simon
  10. If you run the windows performance monitor do you also get paging to 100% at the same time that the problem happens, as I did (admin didn't get that)? And yes, Power DVD seemed to use the least resources. Simon
  11. Hi there, In case anyone reads this in the future, I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP and it was fine after that. Simon
  12. Thanks Geoff, do you have any more details on that? Simon
  13. Hi there, I have a teacher with a laptop that plays DVDs with jerky sound (and the video is jerky to match). When I sign on as an administrator I don't get the problem. If I sign on as another teacher then I do get the problem again! It's an Acer Travelmate, running Windows XP SP3, I've defragged the disk to no effect. We're using Cybershot PowerDVD to play the DVDs, sound is fine playing MP3s or CDs. When I run Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance I can see that the Pages/Sec count for the two teacher accounts is going sky high as soon as I press play on PwerDVD, when I hit pause, it goes back to nearly zero. When I try the same with the administrator acount the same statistic runs between 20 and 60 percent when the DVD is played. I ran a tasklist /v under all three user accounts, but I can't see any additional process running under the user accounts that the administrtor isn't running - the reverse in fact - wuauclt.exe and msmsgs.exe are running in the administrator account. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks - Simon
  14. Sounds good to me. Yes, can I have a quote please? not including laptop or DVD/VHS Thanks - Simon
  15. Checking student's work areas for missing folders Hi there, This is the way that I check to see if students' work areas have gone missing. At our school there are four student logons, Reception, Lower, Middle and Upper school. Each logon gets complete access to a share on the server, which is further divided up into Year1 or Year5, or whatever. Each year folder is then divided up into student names John Smith, Jane Smith etc. The problem, and I guess that some of you have the same problem, is that students accidently drag and drop each others user areas into random location. Checking 270 folders can be time consuming, so my technique is this. 1. I made a copy of just the Lower User\Year1\John Smith folder structure, by copying all the data over from the server onto my client machine and then deleting all the sibdirectories and files. 2. I do a dir of my folder structure and the folder structure on the server and output the results to two files 3. I run a compare on the two output files and so I can see in seconds if a stuudent's folder is missing, or if there is extra dross in the root folder Year X. So here's my bat file... echo _Start Year1users > local.txt echo _Start Year1users > remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Reception Users\" >> local.txt dir /B "N:\Reception User\Pupil folders\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year1users >> local.txt echo _Start Year1users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 1 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "L:\Lower User\Year 1 users\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year2users >> local.txt echo _Start Year2users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 2 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "L:\Lower User\Year 2 users\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year3users >> local.txt echo _Start Year3users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 3 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "M:\Middle User\Year 3 users\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year4users >> local.txt echo _Start Year4users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 4 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "M:\Middle User\Year 4 users\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year5users >> local.txt echo _Start Year5users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 5 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "O:\Upper User\Year 5 users\" >> remote.txt echo _Start Year6users >> local.txt echo _Start Year6users >> remote.txt dir /B "K:\Pupilchecker\Year 6 users\" >> local.txt dir /B "O:\Upper User\Year 6 users\" >> remote.txt "C:\Program Files\KDiff3\kdiff3.exe" local.txt remote.txt I hope that makes some kind of sense! Simon
  16. Hi there, I've been asked to source a projector trolley. It'll be a wheeled trolley with space for a laptop (not part of the buy) and including a projector, a 4 way long lead adaptor, and some decent speakers to be heard at the back of our largish hall. Has anyone had any experience buying anything like this recently? Thanks - Simon
  17. Thanks, I'll give that a go. I couldn't find it referred to anywhere so I thought it must be simple, but couldn't work out how to do it. Simon
  18. Hi there, I have installed IE7 at my school, and configured it with the Admin Template via a GPO. I'm trying to work out how to connect the GPO to individual users, or even a group of users, rather than to the entire domain, as I now have it. Thanks - Simon
×
×
  • Create New...