Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Techie2000

Members
  • Posts

    137
  • Joined

Everything posted by Techie2000

  1. We always use Konica Minolta - they have just refreshed their education pricing structure. The new pricing is extremely competitive (much cheaper on the machine rentals and cost per copy) - plus reliable, solid machines.
  2. I assume you're using your firewall as your default gateway? Are you able to ping the switch from the firewall?
  3. Just a note for reference - depending on your switch, IP-helper address may be called DHCP relay. Something which tripped me up a few years ago.
  4. Yes, that shouldn't be an issue creating your new DHCP scopes on the DHCP server. Just remember to update the IP-helper addresses on your switch; but bear in mind that if you are using your firewall to dish out IPs for your Guest WiFi range you will probably want to set the firewall as the IP-helper address for that VLAN (rather than your DHCP server).
  5. Have you missed tagging port 3 on vlan 20?
  6. If you don't mind - could you post your entire config? (removing any secrets/ IP addresses you don't want making public)
  7. Have you configured your ip default gateway?
  8. Could the company bring a duplicator on site so that a member of your IT team could 'babysit' them to make sure they don't take a copy? In that sense, they wouldn't be taking anything offsite.
  9. Does anyone know how to safely delete duplicate staff within SIMS? I have some setup with just a name, others with employment details and some with loads of details that I can't delete. The problem started when our old SBM created duplicates without a contract, so next time she logged in she couldn't see them as active staff (although they were in the system without an employment start date). I've been looking for answers and the only solution I found was on the local SIMS support site which told me to modify the SQL database - which I'd like to avoid!
  10. Sorry to jump on an old post, but just wanted to add to the info above if anyone was using this as a knowledge-base to make a decision! Following discussions with Meraki - their MX security appliances do not (yet) support DPI-SSL or HTTPS filtering (please also see https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Blocking_Websites_with_Content_Filtering_and_Layer_7_Firewall_Rules). Personally for anyone considering the Meraki appliances for an install immediately, I'd consider this as a potential issue. Particularly with the likes of Google using HTTPS etc. However, the AutoVPN makes it a doddle to configure VPNs between schools - perfect if setting up for a MAT/ partner schools. (Although other products are available out there that aren't particularly complex).
  11. Scrap that! It was an issue with one of our server hardware NIC's - replaced with a new module and all is working fine
  12. Have you noticed a performance difference between v3 and v4? We've just upgraded to v4 and have noticed it runs much, much slower - particularly when roaming directories?
  13. Thanks I will have a look - at first glance the first obstacle would be the ability to download our own apps - such as Lexia?
  14. I've been asked to look at an alternative tablet devices for classes to use - we currently use iPads however the most obvious downside is the cost per device. Has anyone had any dealings with other tablets in schools on a large scale? Are they worth it in the long run or is it better just to stick with iPads? We use meraki for our MDM and currently use AC2 to deploy the iPads. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  15. Primary School, 2 form entry - all in house.
  16. We have IE pushed out, however it is through the Offline Editor which uses IE policies, annoyingly. We also have Chrome deployed.
  17. Hi all, When children go to open scratch, they receive an annoying pop up saying "The Certificate Issuer for this site is untrusted or unknown. Do you wish to proceed?" Does anyone know if there is a setting or GPO I can change to prevent this popping up? It's taking almost 10-15 mins to get the children to click Yes 3 - 4 times!
  18. Have to say, I'm not loving it - particularly the dumb CLI which is pretty useless!
  19. I found the issue - within DHCP relay, you'd assume enabling DHCP service would mean enable the switches own DHCP - however its a toggle between turning the relays on and off - flicked this on and all started working, the routing table automatically filled with new routes.
  20. Yeah I've done that - VLAN 1 works perfectly and even pulls from DHCP. I can only assume its VLAN related - on the old switch there was the IP Routing command to enable intervlan routing however I haven't found an option on the new one (so far it seems over-complex). I've read quite a few articles online suggesting I have to make static routes for each VLAN, seems a little extreme though?!
  21. Hi all, I've recently invested in a new HPE 1920-48G and have tried all ways to configure it to how the previous L3 was configured. All VLANs, interface IPs, port assignments, port link types etc. All has worked, however I am uncertain to whether or not intervlan routing is working - from VLAN1 I am able to ping all of the interfaces of the other VLANS; however when it comes to trying to obtain an IP or get onto the network using any VLAN other than VLAN1, I end up with a 169 address. I have checked my IPv4 Route table and it appears to be the same as my old L3. I have also configured DHCP Relay (led to believe this is the new IP Helper address). I'm starting to run out of ideas as everything looks to be how it should!
  22. Thank you! I found this very helpful! I think Ruckus is the way forward for us!
  23. We're looking at 20 following a Ruckus survey.
  24. Hi, I'm struggling to decide which solution to go for. I have the option to go with either Ruckus or Aruba - either solution will be the controller-less version. We are a high density environment with anything from 20/30 to 70/80 devices per room at any time - mainly Apple iPads/ iPods. The building is fairly old with walls 3-4 brick thick. Given the options, what solution would you advise?
  25. Hi all, I have a random issue where duplicate folders appear in User's Start menu folders. User's have Documents, My Documents, Pictures, My Pictures etc. I have enabled the check box for User Conf> Admin Templates> Start Menu & Taskbar> Remove user's folders from the Start Menu. Is there a way to remove or hide the folders as staff and pupils keep saving to the wrong folder (which is not the redirected folder)?
×
×
  • Create New...