Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ticker

Members
  • Posts

    473
  • Joined

Everything posted by ticker

  1. We are going to run it again this year, had an interesting conversation with a guy from QCA at BETT who said it would be in our interest to continue running it because even though they have abolished it, it will be back in some form of assessment tool to let students be monitored through out the year rather than just at the end. So they really haven't got rid of the tests they just realise this isn't the path to take, I think it will be something similar to the Edexcel adult basic skills and key skills onscreen tests. Which I feel is a lot better at tracking and assessing students. I also let it slip that we had been using it to identify areas where staff would need training in by having them take the test, so they might put something in like that.
  2. have already got C: drive locked and hidden from students this seems to be like a little back door that gets around policys in place, and other than deleting sample pictures of ever since computer i was hoping for an easier way.
  3. We have ultravnc on all laptops and computers in school and use a product called smart code VNC manager to be able to look at multiple pc's at once. Been using about 6 months find it stable and it wasn't that expensive.
  4. We have Ultravnc on all laptops and computers in school and use a product called smart code VNC manager to be able to look at multiple pc's at once. Been using about 6 months find it stable and it wasn't that expensive.
  5. but pictures of a certain nature in the sample pictures folder which is a direct link to the c: drive of each machine in the all users folders of documents and settings. we have had a look in gpo but cant see anything that will turn it of or get rid of the sample pictures folder. it is also the same with sample music, so it wont be long before they start placing music files in their. Anyone any ideas please!!!!!!!!
  6. well i could have said click but touch does sound a bit more james bond, i have found one company (http://www.flipscreendesking.com) via a google search but struggling to find anymore company's who do this sort of thing.
  7. we are going to convert a room in to a graphic design room and the D+T guy has been looking into using computers intergrated into desks so it has a dual purpose, used as work areas then at the touch of a button monitors pop up and then used as computers. So my question is has anyone got this kind of set up at their place and could u please give me some links or contacts.
  8. Does anyone know or use a messenging system that just works across the network and is free!!
  9. you do. we spoke to a Data protection officer who said that all our internal cameras (10 in total) need signs by each one with the details of someone within college (headteacher) and a contact phone number.
  10. Cheers Guys, March the 25th the due date, though my partner can’t wait for it to be over, the first six weeks she had morning sickness all day good job it was the summer holidays. I also seem to have also put the same post up twice?
  11. It must be catching my partners pregnant to off for our first scan today. Fingers crossed for a boy!!!!
  12. It must be catching my partners pregnant to off for our first scan today. Fingers crossed for a boy!!!!
  13. Cheers techmonkey sorted it now thanks just installed sophos first then went and applied the policy through enterprise console and its working now, must have been something i was doing.
  14. We have just got a new HP tablet have add it to the network the next job was to add sophos antivirus Vs6, it was then I realised that I don’t know if sophos supports the MS windows XP tablet edition SP2. So I tried it and it failed to install checked the sophos website out and can not find whether it supports the OS anybody else had this problem and what have u done?
  15. what we did was to buy these cupboards from argos Argos Morgan Cupboard and then got the site technician to drill a hole in the back for the cables two vents on the side and he just add a lock to the door, oh and added a extra shelf for wireless keyboard and mouse. this was for IWB PC's in classrooms to stop damage and to store such things as the keyboard and mouse as well as the projector remote, and the great thing is we worked out the total cost was 65 - 70 quid.
  16. Here are the prices for the WinINSTALL MSI Packager Pro Console v8.7 plus maintenance which gives u a total cost of: £1,479.00 But he recommends that I get the whole lot which is WinINSTALL 8.7 DMS - single node license for 200 client plus maintenance: £3,426.
  17. Cheers for that been in contact with the sales guy from wininstall europe and he's going to email over some prices, which from what he said didn't seem to bad.
  18. I’ve asked around to see if any one has MS server 2000 so I could take it of their, we only have MS server 2003, but no luck so far! So that’s why its looking like I am going to have to purchase it. Cheers for the link Ben, I’ve already downloaded the evaluation version, and had a go and was impressed that’s why I like to find a reseller to purchase it of.
  19. I’ve tried to find company’s that supply the above product put no one has got back to me with a price yet. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a company they have got the product off and the price they paid. What is it with sales people when u want something they never ring back or email but annoy u when they want u to buy something?
  20. cheers for that, having had a look at it that was what i wanted. its just i am worried that we are buying ICT equipment like its going out of fashion just bought 24 wireless laptops to create 2 more wireless suites , aganist my recommdation as well as having 4 existing computer suites 4 half suites that include 20 wireless laptops and in the end we will get a nasty surprise several years down the line because we failed to plan in TCO's over the coming years. Of which all of the computers in college has been updated over the the last 2 years thanks to specialist status trust money.
  21. Cheers Mark for the link to that. Have been looking on Becta but its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It was sort of what I was looking for thou more to do with putting individual computer suites and ICT equipment purchases then the number of years before they needed to be replaced i.e. 4 to 5 years. This is so I can work out what we'll have to replace year on year to work out budget requirement costs each year. I did have something I got from a training course once but I can’t seem to find it, I do know it was in a spreadsheet I suppose I could always adapt the Becta thing but why re-invent the wheel when someone else has done it!
  22. I don’t know whether there has been a post about this but here goes, having over the last few years massively upgraded and added to both the network and computer suites. I now have problem in that in several years time this equipment is going to need to be replaced on a revolving program. I have started to design this in spreadsheet to help me track when they will need replacing but was just wondering if any one has an, of the self version I could use or knows of any software that could do this. Cheers
  23. cheers zerohour, just download it.
  24. how much do they charge been looking into getting rid of a load of old ICT equipment.
  25. That time is nearly here, summer hols. When teachers and student leave us for six weeks and the real work begins. don’t know if most or any of u work the hols but I can tell this one is going to be hard been putting together a summer job list and probably got enough to last a year never mind 6 weeks and I keep adding to it. Here’s just a small selection. Replace Print server Replace ISA server Final phase wireless network Rewiring science and FT Video editing suite a load of software Move offices New technician starts Oh and develop the new learning platform What’s everybody else got planned? Beside a well earned break.
×
×
  • Create New...