Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

broadld

Members
  • Posts

    120
  • Joined

Everything posted by broadld

  1. Excellent thanks for this. My plan was to:- - Install Windows on the host & run updates to the same state as existing hosts. - Connect ISCSI drives and configure MPIO - Add host and not use validation for storage.
  2. Anyone else with any advice or past experience adding an additional host to an existing cluster that is in use?
  3. Good afternoon yes there are 3 CSV's currently in the cluster. But don't want to corrupt the data on these when adding a 3rd host.
  4. Sorry forgot to mention. It is a failover cluster used for Hyper-V. Forgot to include that part!
  5. Good morning all, So we have currently got 2 x physical servers with Windows Server 2022 setup in a failover cluster with a SAN. I have created new clusters in the past and done migrations etc. One thing I haven't done is add an extra host to an existing cluster. One thing I am worried about is that when adding an additional host is it corrupting the shared storage where the VHD files are stored. As I have heard horror stories of this happening from forum posts. Such as this one https://straightpathsql.com/archives/2020/06/cluster-validation-beware/ I have done a lot of research on this but can't find a definitive answer.
  6. Thanks that is exactly what I did yesterday and we are placing an order today!
  7. I have been looking into this recently. There doesn't seem to be a way of disabling spell check with group policy. I have found you can hide the Review tab etc but if you goto the search box and type in spell check it works. You can also type in options and get to proofing tool options and turn back on spell check as you type. I have tried this on Office 365 word and Office 2021 LTSC. The only way I have found is to not install the proofing tool in the install. But as exams use IT suites etc and don't have dedicated devices we need to restrict based on exam users. Has anyone managed to completely disable spell check? I have had a look at Exam Write Pad and it looks great so will recommending the school purchase this or to use Wordpad. However Wordpad you can't add headers / footers for candidate details and it doesn't have the autosave feature which I would say is a must for exams.
  8. Yes it looks to be rolling out slowly to users. Like you say some are restricted and some aren't yet. We tried to notify users if they were over the 100GB to try and give them a chance to reduce it if possible. There is a useful report in the admin center > Reports > Storage Then click on Onedrive. You can the sort the storage used column to show you your high usage users. We had some users who were email by Microsoft to say they were over but the limit wasn't enforced. But others were enforced straight away giving them no notice to clean up their data. If users are over the limit and it is enforced it stops users from being able to edit or create new content. Essentially their Onedrive becomes read only as they are over the limit.
  9. Excellent thanks for this. I had seem something like this. It says that users at 100% will be unable to save but currently this limit is applied to some of our user that are over and it hasn't enforced the limit yet. I contacted Office 365 support and they said it will start to warn users then will enforce the limit later in the month. But they couldn't give specific dates which isn't very useful.
  10. Hi Everyone Some of our users have started to receive an warning about being over the 100GB limit that is being to applied to anyone using A1 licenses. This was mean to start on 1st February 2024. Does anyone know if the limit is a hard limit to start with that will prevent users from saving / editing? The only options I see for users that are over the limit are:- - Delete unused stuff to get them under the limit - Transfer data to a team or sharepoint library if they are resources etc - Purchase A3 or A5 licenses which increase the limit back up to 1TB per user There is no way to increase this 100GB limit when the user has an A1 license. Thanks Dave
  11. If you use the search box you can just search for spelling and grammar options and just change all the option back on Office 365 version of office. I can't find any way to disable this.
  12. I am just wondering when people are migrating shared areas over to Sharepoint. Do you have an all staff site and then individual department sites? To make setting permissions easier? Or do you have different folders for departments and edit the permissions for these?
  13. Thanks everyone we have been test OBS and seems to work fine. We are also feeding our halls sound mixer that has our wireless mics into the laptop. We are looking at sorting a suitable camera out now. Like you say it's what fits best our site. We may need one for shots further away with more optical zoom. The cameras you use are they all wired into an interface box? Or is there such a thing as a wireless one?
  14. We have the correct 365 licenses. We need to use it in a big space like our main hall / sports hall. So would probably need something better than a webcam. Possibly with a wireless lapel microphone.
  15. Good evening All, We are looking into using live streaming for some events like assemblies, Guest speakers & others. I am just wondering what other people are using in terms of software / equipment for this. We were looking at using Teams lIve events for this. But not sure which camera / microphone would work well with this. I'm sure someone will have done something similar.
  16. Excellent thanks for this it has been really useful. Been testing with this and seems to work fine. How do you deal with user areas after they have been migrated and switched over? Do you set the files as read only for a while or just remove them from the user? Do you redirect appdata at all or just leave this local?
  17. Thats great I will do some more testing with this. What are you doing for profile data then? Are you using anything or just letting it create a new profile when users login on every machine? How have you found device hard disk usage with OneDrive sync data? Does storage sense keep usage down to a minimum when used with files on demand? The only reason i ask is that some of our PC's have 120 GB SSD's in.
  18. So to anyone using iamcloud Cloud Drive Mapper. Are you using group policy redirection to redirect folders to this mapped drive? We basically want to be able for a new user to be able to just login and all their folders be redirected to Onedrive. With no user interaction. We had to scrap roaming profiles as these didn't play nicely with Onedrive auto sign in. The only thing we got close with was FSLogix and it seemed to work fine when roaming. However, you could only have one login as it locks the vhd. In testing we also came across where when you logged off it left a lock on the drive so prevented login.
  19. I'm not sure what other people are doing. Maybe someone can clarify. We were in the same position where roaming profiles don't work with One Drive Auto sign in. We did get this all working with FS Logic but the size of the drive is massive. We decided to setup the new intake with UEV so OneDrive auto sign in would work then we are educating users to save to OneDrive. As redirection only occurred on second login and it was inconsistent. I can't believe there is not yet a redirection to Onedrive for everything. Not just known folders which only does docs, desktop and pictures. Instead, people are having to create environment variables with redirection etc and have to try and bodge an enterprise solution to redirect everything to OneDrive. Maybe Microsoft don't want everyone to store everything in the cloud.
  20. Hi Guys, Hopefully someone can help. We have been looking at setting up our new intake with Onedrive only user areas with redirection. However we have come across some issues:- - We have gone down the route of creating a environment variable for users similar to the second post on this thread. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/cloud-services/226083-migration-network-user-folders-onedrive.html - In the past we have used roaming profiles and folder redirection. Which has worked great for us. However roaming profiles do not play nicely with Onedrive auto sign in. How is everyone dealing with this? Are you just using local profiles and using folder redirection to a small network user area? I have looked at Microsoft User Experience Virtualization https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/uev-v2/ and FSLogix for user profiles. FSLogix seems to work ok but limits the user to one login as it locks the VHD file. - Using UEV and folder redirection for Onedrive seemed to work but it only redirected Onedrive on the second user login to the same machine We are trying to achieve where a brand new user logs in and everything is redirected to their Onedrive automatically. I can't believe Microsoft don't have a setting for redirection straight to Onedrive. I know there is Known folder redirection but this doesn't do all folders that you can redirect and doesn't work for existing users that already have redirection. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks David
  21. We have been looking at getting this setup over summer. It seems to however take a lot more storage up than roaming profiles and folder redirection. We used this guide for setup. https://www.infusedinnovations.com/blog/secure-modern-workplace/step-by-step-guide-to-install-fslogix-on-wvd You download the client and have to install this on all client computers. What we were struggling with is it downloads Onedrive files as people use them which is ok as we have the setting for Onedrive configured for files on demand. However this downloads and then saves into the VHD. So you are kind of backing your Onedrive files up to your file server. We have decided to hold off on this for now until we do more testing.
  22. Thanks for this Dave @SchoolsBroadband. I do appreciate that you care about your company and customers. I am glad you have seen this and dealt with it to get my tickets progressed. It is a shame it had to get to this stage to vent my frustration on here. I have an up to date escalation matrix and these tickets have been escalated through it. But then my tickets hang mostly when they get escalated to the NOC team. We have 7 tickets currently open. One that has been open since November 2021. Other tickets that have also been open for 2/3 months. I would like to take you up on the offer to visit your offices and meet the team. The last time I visited was probably over 6 years ago, when you were based in the center of Ilkley. I have worked with Schools Broadband for over 14 years. I think the fortigate & Netsweeper training sessions would be a great idea.
  23. Just because a CEO is active on a forum doesn't mean they provide good support. It probably means they are heading off any customer complaints so they don't get sounded publicly. Have you logged anything connection related recently? Are you primary school or secondary school based? I remember the days of good support from Schools Broadband, this was a few years ago. David Tindal has also confirmed via PM to me that they have indeed outsourced some support related to connection issues. I think this is option 2 when you ring them. The firewalling & filtering support is apparently not outsourced but I'm not convinced. Thanks David
  24. Good morning All, I am wondering if anyone else is having similar frustrations with extremely poor support from Schools Broadband. I would be very interested if others are having the same issues we are. We seem to have to constantly chase tickets we have logged with them for any kind of response. Even tickets that have been escalated through their own escalation paths go unanswered. I also think they may have outsourced their first line support to a different company. Which may explain the poor levels of support. They can't even seem to transfer calls to other people in support which seems a bit suspect.
  25. broadld

    OneDrive

    Thanks some really good information. Is everyone using folder redirection into the OneDrive folder then rather than the known folder OneDrive group policy setting? I also got stuck getting OneDrive to SSO. It turned out we didn't have Single Sign on set in AD Sync. We also didn't have our machines OU synced so they weren't hybrid azure joined. Which I believe is a requirement for SSO to work properly.
×
×
  • Create New...