Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pmassingham

Members
  • Posts

    115
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pmassingham

  1. Bought 8 of these for the school last August and now a power supply has failed. After numerous condesending and patronising remarks from their help desk, we now have to send the PS AND THE LAPTOP back as they do not believe that the PS has failed. I won't touch Toshiba with a barge pole ever again!!
  2. Thanks for these everyone - I have enough ammo to stop this idiotic idea going any further. I will add some technomumbojumbo as well!!
  3. As a helpdesk, it is up to the Help desk manager to allocate tasks to the team and to set priorities - that is how we use it. It works fine for us and the access database is easy to manipulate for reports and queries. The one thing I have struggeled with is to get the date format correct for the UK. If anyone knows the definitive answer and can supply the changed .asp file or the scripts for the files, I would be grateful. Thanks.
  4. There are several threads on this topic but I wonder if I could ask 2 questions to tie these together? 1. Why should teachers and students NOT use their personal laptops at school? ( I wouid like as many reasons as possible please) 2. If they should be allowed, how should the network be configured? (here I need some ideas of cost and suppliers/installers of hardware, software, VLANs, managed wifi, switches, etc.) Many thanks.
  5. Have you managed to get anywhere with this? I note that you purchased it. Did you get full installtion instructions? I can't even get a reply from the help desk. I am giving up. Shame really - could have been useful.
  6. Can you help with this when after reaching stage 4 of 4 (v 0.9.6b) I proceed to the login screen? Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005' [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. /MLH/incs/common.asp, line 76 Thanks
  7. I am struggling to set this up with SQLexpress 2005. Has anyone succeded in doing this? If so, could you give me precise details? I cannot get past the initial setup page that sets up the database - either failed login or cannot find database errors. Many thanks.
  8. Latest edition of PCounter and PAdmin from Altman work fine on our system. Very flexible and works well with AD.
  9. Are we all completely barmy! It is so hot in the classrooms with the newly installed bolier and radiators that the doors and windows have to be opened. Is it a H & S issue to turn the b****y radiators down!!!!
  10. Content Keeper. Used for 4 years. Every URL is either classified within a range of groups which can be open or blocked, or Non Managed - in which case it remains blocked until I am asked to 'manage' it. I have total control. Real time activity viewing, report production, LDAP group filtering, download blocking - the list is (almost) endless. Sits on a Linux box which is provided as part of the package. Brilliant product.
  11. ERGO's Scholaris may fulfil your needs.
  12. Have a look at this. Should be self explanatory. Type in the Balance b/f, period and the start finish times and Bob's yer uncle! You only have to adlust the period lookup table at the start of each year. Don't change anything else in the sheets apart from Title and School name! It will also print out the time sheet. flexitimebase.xls
  13. Paid for the product over 1 year ago. We have now abandoned it. There is a School Trends thread on this site which is the same company.
  14. Yep, all of those and re-started the server.
  15. Suddenly the print server (2003 R2) does not not show any printer port details within the any printer properties pane, nor can I add a new port/IP address! HELP!!
  16. Has anyone come across this one and managed to resolve it? I can't find any help on MS website. Permissions look OK. Also, I can't add any folders to Public Folders in System Manager - there is no 'New' option when right clicking on Public FoldewrsSee attachment. Thanksexc.doc
  17. I have tried WinInstall LE and whilst it seems OK for simple applications, it can't cope with more complex installations, such as SIMS or Mcafee v8.
  18. Are you saying that either script, referred to above your post, can be wrapped into an MSI for deployment through GPO? If so, how did you create the relevant MSI? Or, is the script run as a startup script? Sorry if I am being a bit dim here! By the way, I have been able to run the script whilst logged in as an administrator at the client, but this defeats the object of rolling out at startup! Thanks.
  19. I have been configuring printers for the past couple of days in 'Add a Printer'. After a brief 'hang', the wizard no longer shows any ports in the 'Select a printer port' . None of the previously configured printers show any ports in their Properties/Port tabs. I have stopped and started the spooler service a couple of times and re-booted the server - no luck. Help!!
  20. Hi - it was a missing comctl32.ocx file. Downloaded and now WIWW OK. Will try the script route first as I am not fully up to speed with WIWW. I am going to run the batch file as a login script using a new domain admins username. If I can do this, I don't need to worry short term about deployment. Thanks again. PS - will your compiled .exe allow paths and other 'local' variables to be changed?
  21. Thanks for the advice. I tried to use WIWW but when I run it, there is an error message relating to missing components. All I am trying to do is to deploy SIMS quickly onto 150 staff desktops/laptops. Looking at the earlier posts, it seems that a batch file would do this. I'll give each a try, or else it is back to manual installs on all of these!
  22. I have created a package with WinInstall LE and tried to deploy with GPO in Windows Server 2003 R2. RSOP returns a fatal error with a message that an ini file in a windows sub folder cannot be updated. Of course SIMS does not install. Any one come across this and successfully rolled out with WinInstall?
  23. Holidays are when staff away, so that is when maintenance is carried out. I have total control and will power off any item at my own discretion. During term time, I can't even do tape backups until midnight onwards, let alone any other meaningful maintenance - that's how sad some of the staff are!!
  24. Old friend!! More like 'old blue screen' !!
  25. Essex LEA does have a VLE 'project' underway. Some secondary schools are participating - we are not as we would have to pay for it. Moodle is a low cost alternative to those being sold commercially and we had no choice but to go down this route since are budgets are so tight. We are developing Moodle on a local web server that has a secure public facing IP. If the internet goes down, we will be able to access the Intranet and VLE. When it is up, then those and the website will be available on the Internet. Moodle currently fulfills all of our needs and we will use this to embed the VLE culture into the school whilst the 'political' aspects are being sorted - this of course means that we will have to pay commercial prices rather than open source 'costs' at some point. Why is it that commercial interests will always succeed against the open source alternatives? Rhetorical of course!
×
×
  • Create New...