Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. With £600 for a laptop that essentially does basics only and lasts, you can get something for just under £400 and a brand name. If you wanted something with the pretty/slick and also 13 inch screen instead of the big clunky laptop here is a very good one. Lenovo Essential M30-70 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer I am a fan of this laptop, nice screen, light, looks pretty. It really does feel/look like a Mac Book but a lot cheaper plus I will be surprised if it didn't last some Years. Also looks like there is a cashback deal with this laptop. Out of all the laptops I've used/purchased over the Years for work this is by far my favourite + priced.
  2. I don't get why anyone would want to waste their money on Smart TVs. I spent a few hundred on a 42 Inch Samsung HD, looks brilliant. I got Virgin Media setup so I get everything that would normally come with a Smart TV minus the IE access but if I was that desperate to access the internet I can load up my mobile or the other god knows amount of IE access devices I have..... As for name brands, to be honest no matter what brand you buy you will find the pros/cons. I'm not fussed about buying big brands but I refuse to buy your Tesco never heard of brand.
  3. 1: How did you negotiate the contract length? This is something we didn't negotiate we simply got told that it will auto renew after the trial period if we didn't tell them and the period was automatically set to 5 Years. 2. Discounts for longer contracts? 3. 3 month notice period? Again can't go in to details but we are really not happy with them at the moment.
  4. Much appreciated, we are currently going through a very bad moment so we kind of needed ammo.
  5. Bringing up an old topic. Does anyone use this and how have you found the customer Support????? There is a bit of politics going on at the moment about agreements that were made are now being denied. I will go in to more details soon. Bad/Good I would like them all.
  6. To be honest this is a question where the answer is based on what type of Staff are responsible for IT and the School. If it's a School that pushes for IT regardless of the Pro's and Con's you may find that your list is pretty much covers nearly everything. One thing IT should be about is cutting down costs, ease of access and back to basics for Teachers. Online text books/research materials - I personally see Schools going more and more down the route of Universities that are setup to have almost everything online based. Where Students are not only able to access their homework but also able to access their day to day classwork. Teachers will have their lesson plans online and accessed by other Staff (for cover etc but also for Leaders/Ofsted/Governors). I see IT systems becoming more reliable but only experienced and/or qualified leadership (this isn't negative towards anyone personally). IT should be about what Staff want to use it for on a daily basis and not just what's available. Some of the above might be some time away though.
  7. You will probably far harsher petitions that would need more looking at. Difference is though publicity... and of course what news sells.
  8. Whats strange over this, I've seen 4 different surveys and this petition. The survey says 25-35% want him sacked while the other % want him back. Petition has reached an insane amount in 48 hours - 750,000 want him back. Even Celebs are starting to jump to his defence. For someone that so many hate him, I guess so many more like him. Recent thing to pop up though is the BBC could face issues/penalties/sanctions for cancellation of Top Gear. I just cant wait till all the information is released, there is still so little to go on and as others have said - why are the police not involved.
  9. Strange, we have been looking at Office 365 Live and I started questioning this "Online" reliance. Although I know you can download PC/Mac - Office 365 constantly reminds me I can. Just got me thinking again that when they go down you are potentially screwed.
  10. What's the world record for most petition signatures?? I was watching it last night and it was on barely 30,000, now over 400,000! The masses are speaking.
  11. I agree, BBC F1 is a prime example and So is Sky's Football crew. I really enjoy the current trio, just like I enjoy DC/EJ and Jake - I don't how ever like Suzi but I do like Lee. Personally the only reason I enjoy the BBC F1 is DC/EJ when EJ isn't about I feel like they are missing something. Getting a group of people who click well although doesn't happen over night, doesn't always work well even with time. I still can't stand Suzi I feel she is trying too hard where as Jake came across as a natural presenter which is why he moved over to BT Sport and does a good job for them. I don't always get to watch live Football but instead I get the Sky crew sitting there joking around - there is that chemistry. Course that's just my opinion. Replacing Clarkson is possible but how long will it take to find some one like him or has that chemistry with the other guys? as much as the previous presenters were okay they didn't match up in my book. I enjoy the less scripted feeling to a show which I certainly feel with all the above. Will say this though, in the last year I have watched the BBC for 4 shows and that already drops to 3 now that I have Sky F1.
  12. What I will say is this, I am one of the 300,000 people I also know more 25+ Year olds who have their own house signing it than under 25s still living with Parents. Not really a fair assessment though considering I know more 25+ than under 25. Nice to see the "stereotypical Top Gear viewer attitude" accusation that we are all teens living at home with Parents instead of Parents them selves watching the show. Having seen the show live and watched the show even before the "revamp" a lot more older adults watch the show compared to teenagers when you see the audience. If I was your every day throw a tantrum at what was said, I would take severe offense to that. Will also say for a show some here don't like or even like Clarkson we are now on page 7 of this discussion. @pcstru - Your right on the assault part and as I said before he should rightly be punished. We have been given very little information but by the looks of things this really has been a one off. Comparison to essentially a member of Staff who felt bullied as well as an assault. That Student should be charged to the full extent of the law which again I did say Clarkson should get. And also this isn't being covered up by the BBC which if I remember rightly the School did want to brush it under the carpet.
  13. +1 He isn't responsible for this, that would be like blaming the Trotters for all the dodgy deals that go on in this Country.
  14. I am glad others feel the same way. To be honest, the Country is trying to squeeze every ounce of education in to their minds. I do some times worry that if you take away a child hood from them will it damage them in the longer run. The Gov is trying their best to protect their innocence by destroying it other ways in my view. I can understand in their final Year of Primary just to help that adjustment to Secondary School, sadly what more can you do. Just hope when they grow older they still have a sense of humour and still enjoy bubble wrap!
  15. Probably searching Group Policy or DNS problems! Must of been DNS.....
  16. Although I agree, in today's world people need to know exactly what you mean with everything you say. He isn't a comedian, but he is your everyday Joe. I can't stress the amount of times I have said simple phrases that some Tom Dick or Harry will take offense to it. We have become a Country where everything can be taken badly or the wrong way. How many times have I heard IT related jokes about your stereo typical IT person and I could take offense if frankly I didn't have a backbone or a humour. I could mention the IT Crowd a show I love but the mount of times my team has been compared to them. My other half insists on watching garbage (something like) ex's on the beach. Shamble of a show where they bicker, argue, sleep with each other yet the other half complains about it. My response (nothing against you BTW) is why watch it if it winds you up. She knows the type of people that go on the show all selfish pigs yet moans. People by now should know what Clarkson is like, he like the rest of us (I agree with you on this) who have a right to an opinion. His attitude is like mine on the basis that we all have a right to a voice in a democratic society, if I don't like what other people say I either respond with my voice or I simply move on and get over it. Personally I hate the way this Country is going, we complain about other nations holding back basic rights or have zero democracy yet all we want to do is censor people who say something that 1 person out of 400,000 takes offense to.
  17. This is my attitude towards it. We don't know the full facts which doesn't help the situation, if he did hit some one over something silly then he should be punished for it to the extent of the law. The law which frankly doesn't take a harsh approach on assault, I know plenty of people who got involved in fights and got a slapped wrist back to work next day. I don't think the BBC Fully realizes how popular he is, he is what I class as a normal old fashioned Brit. Doesn't take too much crap, says it how it is, isn't purposely setting out to be evil with what he says but is arrogant. He is an idiot though but again who isn't, who hasn't made a ton of mistakes, who hasn't hit out at people (either verbally or physically) over nothing. The world is quick to forgive serious crimes but for little things it goes mental.
  18. I saw this and I first thought - RIDE EM COW BOY YEEEEEHHARRRRRR. Then I remember they are little buggers especially the females - fearless. They certainly have the Eye of the Tiger.
  19. Policies I have dealt with are all in the original school agreements when Students join us. If they wish for photos to be removed, controlled they need to fill in a form or inform us in writing. Otherwise the School will use the images as it wants - within reason
  20. 1. Stop Schools from throwing money at "OH Look At That" IT and instead fix/replace the Technology that gets used all day every day - Does the job. 2. Stop trying to come up with excuses why you should buy NEW technology, instead look at ways it can make your life easier and better. 3. Keep it REAL - That old chest nut. What I mean by this, whats more important - Buying a Tablet for a teacher or replace their 8 Year old PC which takes an age to logon. 4. Backbone - no matter what path you go, good servers, fast networking make a huge difference. It has done so at two Schools in my experience and that doesn't include the partnership work I have done over the years. 5. Listen to IT, some Teachers are like children, they don't care whats best at teaching and learning they simply want the "Pretty Device". Teachers should be proving its Productivity level on every piece of IT Purchasing if they refuse to listen to IT. 6. Bring back common sense to Schools. 7. Schools make the effort to employ Qualified or/and Experienced IT Staff. Sorry but an Ex Student of two years as a Technician shouldn't be running an IT Support Department. This is not aimed at anyone in particular but I have heard plenty of stories and those IT Staff are blamed for problems - instead SLT/HEADs should take responsibility. 8. Force Schools to have an improved pay scale for certain Support Staff. Some Staff are happy to do their basic functions all day, others have their roles constantly grow (like mine) and force Schools to pay adequately or be left behind. Said my piece
  21. I must the only one that told them to go ahead, plug it in and do what you want. As long as I get what I pay for - who cares? I have had no issues internet wise since going back to when Virgin Media was Telewest and blueyonder?..
  22. ISIS at the moment don't make sense what so ever. They are not fighting for their freedom or even their own beliefs, it's all rather pathetic. Thing that winds me up though is if their military grew as big as the Nazis did the world would have no choice but to get involved. BUT because it's yet again more trouble in the Middle East they are all worried about their own political agendas. Sooner or later the world will have to acknowledge the fact that ISIS are a serious threat to the freedoms of todays society. Our Country wont get heavily involved till we get our own terrorist incident. I absolutely hate Reacting instead of Acting.
  23. " education and understanding" Completely disagree, this excuse has been used far too often for far too many problems in todays society. We educate so many people in todays world about the health damages yet people don't quit smoking because of it. So many issues from driving, sexual health, pregnancy and general day to day life and the excuse always is "Better Education". I quit smoking because of the cost, I know more people that too have quit because of it. Others sadly (I know 3) who have quit because they started to have severe health issues. One was told he had a matter of years to live if he didn't.... I do not know 1 single person who has quit as a result of education, advise from the doctors, TV adverts, Pictures on the packets, packets being hidden locked out of sight - its all gimmicks. People will choose to do something regardless of their health, it takes a punch in the face (excuse the pun) for people to quit or that every day thing called "Money".
  24. Other half struggled to stop smoking, not because of the nicotine. She is now smoking vapour electronic ones that have fruit. She just needs something to occupy her fingers (no joke).
  25. New laws always stop more than 1 person, it will stop a lot and it will also help some quit. I know several people who have quit smoking as a result of the law not just because of their health warnings. I was a smoker.
×
×
  • Create New...