-
Posts
13,543 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Geoff
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
My way is more fun. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Yes that's correct. There is a farming method for emerald that involves villagers, many wooden doors, conveyor belts and a smeltery. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
8 (smelter doubles ore) bronze = 1 tin ore + 3 copper ore. Did no one else play Dwarf Fortress? You should have what minerals, metals and composites are etched into your mind if you did. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
I have fenced off and lit up the nether portal in the overworld. I have also built a stone brick room in the nether around the portal there. It has an iron door and rubbish stone pressure plates (please replace with dark steel when possible). So you can safely travel to and from the nether without disaster striking. Be aware that blazes like to spawn directly outside the nether portal, so bring a bow and arrows. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
You could use journeymap to generate a static map. Multiplayer Server Map - JourneyMap for Minecraft -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Vanilla bow not good enough? What about an ic2 mining laser? - - - Updated - - - BTW @localzuk any dynamap? -
There's no sensible way to do this in powershell. Use youtube-dl instead. Infact all the powershell scripts I can google that purport to download youtube videos are just a wrapper for youtube-dl. https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ Disclaimer: Always check the videos license before using youtube-dl. Some may forbid copying.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
And they 'level up' and get better as a result. e.g. my iron tinkers pick has levelled up to the point where it can mine anything a diamond pick can (apart from obsidian as it runs out of durability before the mining of the block completes). -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
If someone wants to go in there and replace the island with stone blocks then you've got a better chance. I'll have a crack at it tonight if no one else wants to risk it. Also the portal in the overworld needs fencing off. I'm not expecting a pigman invasion due to the nature of the netherrack island however it's better to be safe. I also found out why I was getting damaged mining. I used a wooden tool rod for my tinkers pickaxe. This has the affix 'splinters' which causes random occasional damage when used. Very funny. I have replaced it with bronze which seemed the best early game tool rod. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
I casted a nether portal near the village smeltery. It's just far enough away that the noise wont be annoying. However my typical minecraft misfortune applies. The nether side is on a one block thick floating netherrack island in the middle of a cavern suspended over lava. One ghast fireball and you are screwed. -
Server 2008 to 2012/16 swing - how do you do it?
Geoff replied to talksr's topic in Learning Network Manager
There's also the Storage Spaces Direct stuff if you have 2016 (It's basically VSAN). So you can do that Hyper-converged nonsense. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-direct-overview -
Server 2008 to 2012/16 swing - how do you do it?
Geoff replied to talksr's topic in Learning Network Manager
2016 has full nested virtualisation support (including GPU pass thru and container support). -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Presume the rail station is going to be the spawn area base if you want to go down that route? -
Saw this announcement pop up on HackerNews and thought that it might interest EduGeek. DoudouLinux - English
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Sounds like we need a map with areas zoned for different builds. Then let people pick what they want to work on? -
I'm not working at a school however it might interest people how commercial works: We have full next day extended warranties on hardware. We have 4 hour SLAs on really important infrastructure like the Servers, SANs, Core Switches, Firewalls, etc. We have software support contracts for critical stuff. So basically there's always someone we can phone and we're never 'on our own'. i.e. if Citrix is broken I can ring our support company. If I can't get the MDT server working that's my problem. So in summary. If it's required to work with minimum / no downtime then it's got a support contract and hardware warranty. If it's just 'nice to have' or 'we can manage without it for a few days' then it probably only the hardware has a warranty. Some of the random homebrew stuff doesn't even have that of course, but why should it. The other thing to note is we spread our risk around. So we don't end up with one company supporting us for everything. That way we can shop for price and also don't get blackmailed into higher prices on renewal or end up a creek without a paddle if the support company goes tits.
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Other than the broad goal for the server group build. Does anyone actually have any solid ideas / plans? I was thinking of taking the Victorian buildings idea and going as steampunk as I could with it. Possibly with a bit of magic thrown in (where I can use magic + machinery in a steampunk kinda way). -
BTW you need both of the above policys set. If you don't the local WUDO will obliterate your LAN uplinks (I have clients with SSDs. So half a switch of those clients can saturate my 10Gbit uplinks unless I tell BITS to throttle).
-
The other thing to check is in the Update settings. I'm not sure what the default is but there is an option to P2P updates to other machines on the Internet. If you have that on, then that will eat all your bandwidth too. Managing Windows 10's New Peer Updating Capability Using GPO | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro The setting in GPO is: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization > Download Mode I have it set to 'Enable WUDO (local peers only)' for my desktops and servers. I set it to 'Disable WUDO' for my laptops as they might be on VPN or offsite and I don't want to kill their connection.
-
I assume you can turn stuff off in Education via GPO just like Enterprise? Or does it ignore you like Pro does?
-
Oh and as a general thing: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)> Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers My settings are: Limit background transfer rate (kbps) to : 100 From : 7AM To : 9PM At all other times : Use all available unused bandwidth
-
Which version of Win10?
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
WAILA has ruined you. We used to manage just fine back in 1.6.4 days without it. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Pack has 'The One Probe' in it. It's a tool you have to use to get block info (you can put it in your off hand though). Unless you add it to a helmet. https://github.com/McJty/TheOneProbe/wiki I think @localzuk can also tweak the config to make it work like WAILA did. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
I wandered round aimlessly somewhat last night (I was raiding with my WoW guild on my main monitor), then circled back to the village on the plains and setup the basics in a spare house.
