firefighting
Members-
Posts
94 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by firefighting
-
I have a pc that was use for school office and want to recycle it for reuse in the school. I don't want to completely erase/format the machine.... just remove any way or trace confidential files from being recovered. Is there any suggestion for preparing the PC back for use without the complete erase. Many thanks
-
W2k3 server ; redirected desktop I am putting together a script to send an email from the desktop. I have a link which opens a PHP web page on a web server. The user just types in a message and clicks "Submit". Is there a way to find out the user that is logged in and place the name in my web page? TIA
-
Got it all going at long last Just for the record, I downloaded the trial copy of Server 2k8 and extracted the boot.wim file. Then I injected the VISTA NIC drivers into boot.wim. Must be done on a vista pc and run cmd as administrator. Install boot.wim into WDS server. Network boot and that it.... A big thank you to Gatt for pushing me in the right direction. Now I just need to construct an answer file for a lite touch install...
-
Thankyou Gatt, I will start again and report back and hopefully close this thread with good news. regards
-
Yes, I did use the WAIK boot.wim file. I have now changed to a copy from Toshiba Satelllite Vista Restore disk. Which does not work either. I have seen one suggestion to download Server 2008 and extract the boot.wim. Will this work as I cannot get a OEM Vista disk? I did not create a Dicover Image in WDS. I used selected > Boot Image>File location>Browse to Boot.wim with the injected drivers>Next>Finish. If I selected Create Discover Image I get an error "The image cannot be used to create a Discover Image as it does not have the required WDSClicent binariers" Which would explain using the Toashiba Recovery Vista disk. I did managed to capture a sysprep image and it appears in WDS server. When deploying image and the process stops at startnet.cmd command window open, isn't there anything I can do to start the reimage process manually? I can the server ok and I only have a few new Eee PCs to install. Why does MS make it sooo difficult to implement!
-
Help! I going mad W2K3 Deploying an XP Pro image. 1. Successfully saved and uploaded a sysprep WIM image file of a Eee PC B202 to WDS server. 2. injected correct NIC drivers into boot.wim for deployment. 3. booted client and it hangs with a command window startnet.cmd open. When I run ipconfig I get a correct IP address shown. if I run wpeinit and it hangs again. What should I enter TIA
-
audacity?
-
All Programs list in Start Menu
firefighting replied to firefighting's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
permissions ok. It seems to be picking the local Start Menu list instead of the redirected menu! I have even deleted all the local profiles to force a workstation to pick up the new menu. I'll keep looking -
All Programs list in Start Menu
firefighting replied to firefighting's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
The redirect Desktop and My Document work fine So I've got the method right but the redirect Start Menu doesn't do anything on the clicent. I presume I place shortcuts in a folder and redirect in GPO! -
All Programs list in Start Menu
firefighting replied to firefighting's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
I take it you mean redirect the Start Menu in GPO? I have redirected Desktop and My Documents but I cannot get Start Menu to work! Something not right with my setup... -
This is more of a 2k3 question. I can disable the "All Programs" list from the user Start Menu in GPO but is there a way of just block some of the menu items from appearing in the list? TIA
-
Hello all, I have set up a OU with high restrictions setting. Sort of a user "sin-bin". I want to allow the ICTCO easy and simple access to move a user in and out of this OU. Anyone got a VB script or suggestion on how to do this? many thanks and Happy Christmas.
-
I have a sysprep pc that I want to deploy across a network and getting very confused. Is there a very simple step by step tutorial on how get a sysprep pc imaged and placed on to a network for deployment. I am currently trying to setup BDD 2007 and not sure which components to install. I use Acronis to image but that produces a tib file and not a wim file. Any help appreciated.
-
My other choice is BeThere. They offer up to 24M download and 2.5M upload at much cheaper rate than BT plus 1 static IP address for £22.00 per month! I have heard good reviews about BeThere. There on line tests says I can get up to 18M!!!
-
I am considering moving to BT Total Anywhere Broadband and getting the HTC s710 for a one off cost of £29.99. This will give me access to all BT Hot-spots and VOIP. Anyone bought into this of have pros and cons?
-
Sorry, my bad . I forgot to "run as administrator". This did the trick. ok.. I can uninstall all sticks in USBDeview. When stick is re-inserted it picks up and installs successfully BUT I still do not see the drive or can read, format, change drive letter. It is still the same. I noticed the stick has a serial number which may be the reason that the registry blocks it (somewhere). Anyway, I think I have wasted enough of all your time and very grateful for your input. There are far more important issues to deal with. I will plug away in spare moments to find a soultion and publish any findings. I WILL get to the bottom of this. regards and thanks again
-
When you say "zap", do you mean from the list display in USBDeview? I can see the listing and the properties of the drives and what looks like a rogue entry! What ever I do, the list just seems the same. I could use this listing and find the drive in the registry and delete from there. Is this what you mean?
-
I can see the drive in DM (see attached) but cannot change letter, read or format drive. Anyother PC I can do all of the above. When I try to do any of the above on my PC, I get an error (see attached).
-
No drive clashing as I can add another drive and it is fine. It just seem to be this one drive. I cannot work it out. There must be a way the registry knows what usb is inserted!
-
Yep! other 1GB Kingston sticks work even with my data put on them. I tried 3 BTW.
-
Yes other sticks including Kingston. I even copied the data back on to another Kingston stick and that worked. It just this one stick that won't work. Very sorry, paranoia is setting in
-
I have a 1GB Kingston stick that seems to work fine in every way (regardless of OS) except on my own pc . When I insert it into one of my ports, it doesn't show in the drives listing menu. However in Disk Management but I cannot explore, format or change the drive letter. I just get an error message. I have formated on another pc and even renamed but the result is still the same. I guess it may be logged in the registry. Do drives have some sort of embeded tag that is recognised in the registry which is blocking it's operation on my pc and cannot be removed even after formatting? I know 1GB sticks are cheap and replacing it is the easy answer, but I have to get to the bottom. any help most appreciated. TIA
-
EduGeek 1.5.3 Found my site hacked with a Trojan Horse backdoor.R57shell . The 2 files were new.php and old.php. These were placed in the images folder. First I deleted old.php only to find it recreated itself a few days later. I then realised new.php was not mine and now deleted both. Is there a way I can find any other dropped files?
-
LCP ICT Resources cross curricular
firefighting replied to speckytecky's topic in Educational Software
Maybe something wrong with my setup! It was over a year ago. It's all working fine now. No complaints from staff (at the monent).
