-
Posts
795 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by GRitchie
-
So, we've currently got the network on Windows 7 with a 2008 R2 domain controller. We'll soon have a free server (migrating to 365) and I'm thinking of creating a 2012 server as a RODC and then moving across the FSMO roles etc. to that. Then, I can start to build on Windows 10. Our DC is a little bit of a mess if I'm honest, but I imagine moving it to a clean server would do it a world of good. I really want to rebuild the domain, but it's currently me and an apprentice and with me being not even 1 year into the job, I don't want to risk that. Can anyone see any problems in my thinking? (Assuming 2012 has the templates for 10 built in?)
-
KB for getting custom Windows 10 wallpaper to work? I tried, but couldn't seem to get it to play along with me...
-
Happy this isn't just me then! It's always a relief to know you're not completely alone:o
-
Not taking excessive paracetamol or anything, did take a few, but then I know you can work yourself up to being 'immune' to them if you keep taking them. I'll definitely get myself to the opticians again and see what they make of it. It's a nightmare for me though, because it's just such an inconvenience. Makes me feel like
-
@witch (see edited post) I didn't, but I went for a different reason so didn't really think about it at the time. I think a return trip to the opticians is a good shout!
-
I've been to the optician, who told me my eyesight was perfect? But I suppose maybe eyesight and staring at something are two different things. No need to claim the cost - get to Tesco where it's FREE! (EDIT: FOR THE TEST) I don't drink a great deal and have tried to drink more. I've also recently stopped drinking coffee as frequently, thinking that may have been it. Completely drop sugar 100% or?
-
Can print from the server, rest of the network is fine, it's just random ones but it's happening frequently. Not checked the print management tool on the clients, but it just was giving an error code (didn't take note of it this time)
-
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
I should ask too - I assume 365 comes with it's own antispam/filtering? And the same with backups, I suppose MS deal with that in some way? -
So, recently (past 3 months or so) I've been getting random occurrences of feeling dizzy/having a migraine? I'm starting to think that maybe it could be work related? Been to see the GP on and off, but so far no luck! Next step with them is an ENT specialist! Admittedly I probably spend more time looking at my screen now that we have an apprentice who goes out to do some of the more simple jobs. But this job obviously involves staring at a screen! I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this at any time and how they fought it? EDIT: When edugeek gives a tooltip for GP, but I actually mean General Practitioner
-
I'm definitely going to turn the question around and see if the HT can ask 'why, do you need the C drive' He's already agreed with me that the argument of 'shortcuts being unstable' is nonsense. So if that's the only argument, or that she doesn't like having to go about something in a different way, then that's not my problem IMO.
-
Morning, For some reason, I'm frequently being presented with issues where people can't print. It shows as 'server offline' on the printers, but the spooler is running. Contrary to that, I've had a few where the spooler has completely stopped itself... Quite vague, but if anyone has any ideas?
-
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
Looks like we might be getting a 3rd party company to do the migration to 365 for us. Hopefully this will then get rid of these tedious problems! Thanks for your help though! /thread -
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - 10 hours of game time Farming Simulator 2013 - 41 hours of game time Can somebody point me in the direction of a door?
-
The positive side to working in IT within schools.
GRitchie replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Been working in schools now since 2013 (the year I left school - started as an apprentice). I'm now a Network Manager at a small secondary school. The speed of which I have progressed 'through the ranks' is phenomenal IMO! Schools are interesting places of work, to say the least. We all have our good and bad days, but I don't think a day goes by when you walk through the corridor and don't hear a student say something absolutely hilarious. Students that are interested in ICT etc. are my favourite. They remind me of my eager days as a year 9 student, where I used to go to the IT Support office to ask what a Domain Controller Forest was... I'm having a tough time at the moment, taking on my new role, enforcing changes to the system; security and policies. But I feel as soon as I've got this year under my belt, things will get easier (I mean, they have to - right?). Causing me a significant amount of stress, unlike my previous role as a tech. But then again, now being a decision maker comes with its pressure. Again, I hope it will ease over time! I imagine most workplaces give you a bit of a rough first year, to check you're capable of keeping up with the demands of the job! To reiterate the things others have said, the freedom to do whatever you like/whenever you like (within reason) is just brilliant. The fact that one minute I can be plugging in a VGA cable for a member of staff who can't project, to then managing users on a domain controller is quite comical when you think about it. The variety and the challenges are what have kept me going I think. tl;dr - schools are incredibly diverse workplaces. -
Yes, I have a GPO set to hide the drive from 'Computer'. They also don't have full write permissions to everywhere, but as I said - I feel it's more the principal? I'm not preventing her doing her job, it's a work laptop, it shouldn't be configured as she wants just because she's complaining? IMO... If it does go down that route, then I'll definitely get it in writing from the HT. Because if it does go wrong and there's a security mishap due to that; I don't want to be in a position where it's my fault!!
-
Resurrecting this... Turns out I was wrong! This isn't over yet and the saga continues! At one point in my meeting today (and I quote) the HT actually said "I think we should let her have it how she wants" After some more debating, he's going away to 'think some more'. Am I taking this too far, for what it is? Or should I be standing my ground as much as I am here? More than anything now, it's the principal to me... That she shouldn't be made any different just because she's kicked off and teaches IT. I used the argument about if she was able to access it, then malicious software could etc etc. but apparently "that hasn't happened in 6 years" and "she has enough IT knowledge not to click on something malicious"... I'm getting so frustrated by the whole situation...
-
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
Just did tracert mail.myschool.co.uk and it just did 1 hop straight to the internal IP of the server (the same with autodiscover.myschool.co.uk). -
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
Not entirely sure, the website (http://www.) works internally, if that would advise? How would I check this on Smoothwall? Thanks. Note: We don't use a proxy on the client machines. -
@elsiegee40 Which one do I choose, let's take a vote ;-)
-
Off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread for this: Wanting to get in touch with someone from VeryPC - who would be my best contact there?
-
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
For internal DNS I created a FLZ for the domain. Then in there I have the following: Event viewer on my PC when I try and expand a group says: "Cannot perform the requested operation. The command selected is not valid for this recipient. We can't complete this because we can't contact the server right now. Please try again later." -
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
Nope, no luck with that When trying to expand the group, we get this: This does then tie in with the error about not being able to see the server initially when trying to set up outlook? I'm assuming my DNS is all setup correctly mind... -
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
Console output: Nothing else really happens when trying to access a distribution group on outlook I just can't see the members - can send emails to the groups though...! -
Oh... I missed those. My bad *doh*
-
EXCHANGE: Autodiscover/Outlook Connectivity Issues (STILL)
GRitchie replied to GRitchie's topic in Enterprise Software
