Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

GRitchie

Members
  • Posts

    795
  • Joined

Everything posted by GRitchie

  1. @caffrey - removing the exit button might be a bit lethal, but adding a password to it would work?
  2. A clock or maybe a timer? Maybe I'm getting a bit too ahead of myself here
  3. Leeds is the football team, Cumbria's where I'm at
  4. Okay, well The school are now going to offer purchasing food ingredients for students. The parents then just have to pay that fee each year (works out cheaper/bought in bulk.) The food teacher is having this spreadatabase so that it can calculate all her costs for each recipe basically. So yes, in theory there will be a limited number of recipes (or at least for this year it won't change). If I was going to do a spreadsheet, I also thought having hundreds of recipe tabs would be a bit insane, so I thought maybe put them on sweet/savoury pages for KS3 and KS4. Then, on the homepage, have a dropdown/search for the recipes and have it just jump to that cell? We're meeting again at 11:15 so if anyone's active then for input that would be great! Thanks :-)
  5. I've started something here... I started it initially in excel, but then because she wanted a lot more links I thought oh maybe Access! But can you use IF/VLOOKUPS etc. in access?
  6. I've got a food tech teacher wanting to create a recipes/prices document (with LOTS of links/calculations). I can't decide whether or not I should be using Access or Excel to create this? What do you think? It will have a list of prices (including supplier, item name, cost per unit etc.) and then a recipe (including supplier name, item name, cost per unit, students in class, cost per student, cost for class) It's turning into quite a challenge already and don't want to get in too deep in the wrong program and have to back track. Thanks!
  7. It's just while we're over at our repair bench, just convenience more than anything! Get back to your desk and then you see you've got an unread email, start reading that and before you know it you've forgotten to comment on that ticket. . . . . Did think about different browsers - not ideal, but would work! VM's are maybe taking it a bit far for what it is
  8. @jezi55 problem with that is just that adding comments doesn't come from that technician, more just a 'general' account @Imgtfy I'll take a look at Chrome's user modes - not a bad shout actually!
  9. I've set up a touchscreen PC in our repair area in the office and wanted to utilise our helpdesk on it. How can I configure Spiceworks so that I can easily switch between user accounts, without having to input an email and password every time? Tried doing a batch to run chrome as that user, but that didn't agree with me... Thanks
  10. Not familiar with GAFE sorry. However, from what you've said it does sound like a policy related setting. Can you exclude your domain account from any GAFE policies completely and see if that does it? As I said, not familiar with GAFE though, so this may not even be possible...
  11. Yeah, it will just be the devices above. So in total it's 6 devices. If we purchased 2, I could end put more on them I suppose, or balance the two main servers across two different UPS? Will this (what you've linked) allow me to perform automated shutdown/email notifications?
  12. For the kit I've got - would I need two or three of those? Or would one suffice?
  13. Yes, sounds like it's a chrome setting/filter problem. If your administrator sets out Chrome policies via GPO, you will see icons like this: on the settings page. They may have created predefined black/whitelists for extensions.
  14. Seems to be okay here. Never used it before, but just installed to test. Quite like the look of the extension actually, might use it! Where's the greyed out box appearing for you?
  15. I'm sure this has been discussed before somewhere... The art teacher is getting very wound up and frustrated by smoothwall blocking a lot of content they require for art. The issue is, the students are allowed to do art topics on anything which could be guns, self harm, sex you name it... How are other schools combatting these blocks? I tried creating the teacher a 'bypass' user in smoothwall, but then apparently content is still being blocked when the site loads? Help...
  16. I think that would be good, but they'll always be able to access CTRL+ALT+DEL For example, the Pearsons Online Exam software does this too - stops you from being able to quit, then asks for a password. I like the idea, so if you can pull it off - do it!
  17. Okay, so. I want it to be able to support my primary servers, email me if it kicks in, and shut them down if need be. I have 2 x HP Proliant ML310e Gen8 V2 servers, 1 x Fujitsu Primergy TX140 S1. They're my main servers. Then, I have a HP 2530-48G Edge switch, which currently is acting as a core. (I hope to be replacing this in Summer with a 'real' HP core switch though, with 2x24 copper modules and 1x24 port SFP modules) Then, for it to be able to email out (by this time we should be on 365 not the internal Exchange) I will need my Juniper SRX100 router from my ISP and the Smoothwall S4 (as this is where the SRX connects to, not the core). Does that sound about right for what I'd need on it? The APC configuration tool doesn't have all of these products, so how would I easily work out the load? Wouldn't need to last forever, I was thinking like 15/30 minutes I guess - that would keep it cheaper, wouldn't it?
  18. Okay, I'll try and get some more prices today but I gave the estimate of around £1k/£1.5k He seemed a bit more open to the idea when I threw out the worst case scenarios! (Funny how that sometimes works.) If I were to have it working for the core essentials, would I also need to put the core switch on it? I imagine they send the shutdown command over LAN, so it would all need to talk somehow? But then for things like sending email notifications, I'd then need our router uplink on it etc.? I've never really implemented this before, more just 'watched it work'
  19. Right, so if I were to say for a bare minimum to have UPS on my 2 virtual hosts and 1 physical DC (couple of other physical servers, but they're not that important) How much approximately could I say it would cost? Got a meeting with him in 5!
  20. Hello, So I'm doing my budget plan and our current UPS is complete garbage and lasts about 30 seconds (if that) so I've put down that we need to replace this. I estimated around £1k from a couple of quotes on our total load. However the HT is questioning the need for it. His argument is that it's not going to be any use if half of the time the power failures are in the night as nobody will be here to shut the servers down safely anyway. What do you think to this? How could I reason enough for the fact that 'what if it goes down during school hours?' 'what if the outage is 5 minutes?' etc etc Never really been in the position where the need for UPS has been questioned?(!)
  21. I had one before. Printers appearing faint in the print dialogue box, and then when trying to connect to another I got told the print spooler wasn't running. However... It was... http://awscdn.cdngeek.net/images/smilies/confused.pnghttp://awscdn.cdngeek.net/images/smilies/confused.pnghttp://awscdn.cdngeek.net/images/smilies/confused.png
  22. This is kind of what I was hoping it was, an update of some kind. But I'm not sure. Seems too random and intermittent to be that?
  23. They gave me a username regarding updates, but that doesn't seem to work. Update path: http://av.thisla.org.uk/SophosUpdate Username: **** Password ***** But those credentials don't work? :S
  24. Morning, Been having a bit of a battle with a new installation of Sophos that the LA who I get it through can't even work out. Apparently they're unable to replicate the problem... I've downloaded the installer from the LA's site. It's ran all successfully etc. When opening the Sophos Enterprise Console, I get prompted with the 'Download Security Software Wizard' which at one point asks for credentials. This is where I get stuck. I haven't been given any credentials? So what do I put in here? If I close the wizard, the rest of the software seems unusable and prompts me to re-run that wizard!
×
×
  • Create New...