-
Posts
200 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by actech
-
Doesn't make a difference. I even tried dropping the parameter to no avail. Edit: Just a thought - could it have anything to do with the security settings of IE7 not letting executables run?? if so is there a GPO that I can override this?
-
We have been using Papercut to manage and monitor printers for the last year now and the management have decided that the time is right to start charging students for what they print. Papercut have a client that needs to be run on the local machine (from a server share) so that users can see what jobs cost to print and also to see notifications. However I can't get this to work. I tried creating a GPO (Computer Config->Administrative Templates->System->Logon->Run these programs at user logon) with the link exactly as per the manual (\\servername\PCClient\win\pc-client.exe --silent) but this didn't work. The directory on the server has "authenticated users" with a read & execute permissions as setup by my predecessor Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stumped with this:(
-
I'm doing something similar to dave.81. OO will be installed on all the machines next year as well as MS Office 2007. I know that there will be some staff that we refuse to use it including one of the IT teachers who only like MS 2007 because "that's all we have tutorial books for" WTF??? As for the admin staff, I am still having battles with the Principals secretary because she refuses to give up using WordPerfect. Think I should just go off and find a brick wall to connect my head with a few times.
-
We use Domain-Room-Machine Number (starting from the door going clockwise) for PC's and Domain-LT-Description for Laptops. Reason for using this is that printers are set via the logon script based on which room the machines are in or for laptops it gives them a variety to choose from.
-
We've had a Ruckus system in for two months now and am really happy with the performance. We haven't had any more than 20 machines on at once, but it is great that I can walk around with my laptop and the system just jumps me from one AP to the next. Would highly recommend to anyone!
-
CAD software for D&T - what do you have?
actech replied to cheredenine's topic in Educational Software
We use the Autodesk 2008 Suite (Cad, Inventor & Revit). I know that most of the uni's and TAFE's around here still use it as do a lot of industries, which is why we went with it -
Yes we use OWA, and nop we don't have a frontend OWA in a DMZ. I don't have the resources to do this at the moment.
-
Acw is the domain, not the computer. The computer is Mercury which is our exchange server. Changing to Websense is not an option at the moment as the decision was made from district office that we stay with SurfControl for one more year while they look into the possibility of a WAN type solution (don't ask as I have no idea). For the record there was no-one on the network when this happens. This is what I'm trying to work out.
-
I'm having problems with unwanted attempts of accessing our network. I've attached a screenshot of the SurfControl Real-time Monitor. Its all the red ones that concern me. I assume that they would be using bandwidth that at the moment I can't afford to loose. Does anyone have any suggestions?
-
We do the same and the staff just have to cope or they don't get their laptops connected! With the my docs, we make them a power user on the laptop and put a shortcut in their network my documents that links to their laptop my documents. Something else that I am investigating is making an intranet ftp server so that staff can access their network docs through their web browser. Just need to work out how they can access printers without logging in. That way there is no need to connect them to the domain.
-
Apparently there are some issues using GameMaker 7 on a domain network too. I use v6 and was told by a colleague that just installed v7 that he had some troubles but there are threads on the GameMaker Forums that tell you how to resolve the problem. Not sure if it will apply to you but worth the heads up.
-
I had a problem with the symantec ad as well with IE7 and XP sp2. Had the give it the three fingered salute and force IE to close. It hasn't happened again (yet).
-
G ap's. Although they claim they AP's can work on N as well but not if you use the POE option?? Really makes no sense to me?!?
-
We've just installed a Ruckus system and I am very happy with it. We are still having issues with the pre-authentication, but I put that down to my in-experience. Once connected that range is great and there isno problems changing for AP to AP as you roam the school. We also installed it as we will be upgrading the phone system to an IP based system using wi-fi handsets. No complaints from me!
-
Surfcontrol is not a proxy just a web filter, but busibox is the firewall. What you are saying though is sort of what I want to do. Make the new ISA Server (with surfcontrol running as the web content filter) the proxy server and then deny all outbound port 80 traffic at the firewall unless it comes from the proxy. The question is the best way to configure ISQ to do this. I am not familiar with it and would like some better opinions first.
-
Would like to get some opinions on the best way to configure a new ISA server that I am installing. At the moment our network has a hardware firewall (called a busibox), with a machine running SurfControl monitoring web traffic. The problem is that if the machine with SurfControl goes down the internet becomes wide open. What I am thinking of doing is running an ISQ server as the web proxy with only the port 80 requests coming from it being allowed through the firewall machine. Do I set ISQ up as a single network adapter configuration and direct all machine to it as the web proxy server? Or is there a better way of doing it. Removing the Busibox is not an option as it is our ADSL modem and VPN box (that and the fact that the district office tell us we have to have it) Thanks in advance
-
I will look into Sharepoint more. I have a server I think I could run it off without too many problems.
-
We don't use SIMS here.
-
We have our own exchange server on site, with all staff having email, Though only a few use outlook, the rest only have OWA. I did think about sharing calenders through Outlook, but need something simplier (yes some of the staff are that useless with computers!) Always thought that we needed a licence for sharepoint. Might be worth looking into.
-
I have had a request from some of the admin team if it is possible to have a calender that all staff can access and use for sharing dates of assignments, exams, and excursions etc. Does anyone use something like this on your networks and if so what is it. I have thought of a web based browser but we do not run seperate admin and student domains so I'm not sure how to make it staff view only? Any help greatly appreciated!
-
"Large" wireless install pilot. Things to worry about ..?
actech replied to amfony's topic in Wireless Networks
We purchased the system from Comtel in Toowoomba, QLD. Try giving this guy a call. He organised the system for us (and if you don't mind mention Rowan from Assumption College, me) Wade Stuart Sales Consultant Comtel Pty. Ltd. 2 Ann Street Toowoomba, QLD 4350 Ph: (07) 4639 8999 Fax: (07) 4639 8989 Email: [email protected] -
"Large" wireless install pilot. Things to worry about ..?
actech replied to amfony's topic in Wireless Networks
There are people installing Ruckus systems. We have literally turned the system on today and I am happy with it. The web based interface is easy to use and the AP's are all self configuring. It is also easy to configure each machine to connect as you just plug it into the LAN and point it to the activate page via the web browser. Really worth looking at! -
Hi, I am currently trying to get Microsoft Photo Story working for students to use for a computing subject but am having problems. It installs fine but when students have been using it and tried to save the project nothing happens (and I mean nothing at all - it's like that there is no code for the button). Even under my login (full admin privileges) nothing happens. It seems to work when logged in locally to the machine so I assume the problem lies somewhere in the network setting but I don’t know where to start looking. The only suggestion I had was to make the program directory on c: with full access permission for local users but that didn't seem to make a difference. It have installed it on different machines at home and even re-downloaded the software just in case I had a dud install file but to no avail. If anyone has any other suggestions to try please let me know as I am totally out of ideas! Thanks Rowan
-
Just my 2cents on this. All staff and students have 100mb home drives. However Staff have allocated subject folders on a seperate drive. This is to try and encourage staff to put files where it can be shared. Students are all told to get at least a 1gb USB drive and use it for large files.
-
We're getting a Ruckus system installed sometime in the next month. Zone Director + 3 AP's for now. I'm interested how it would go with a complete lab of computers running Bandwidth intensive apps like Autocad? I am also installing a new lab of HP 7800's later this year and thought that wireless might be a better way to go than cabled. Is this a waste of time or not a bad idea?
