-
Posts
1,402 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ADMaster
-
If both hosts are on the domain simply live migrate them, no down time needed. I have a cluster, but here is the info if you do not. Use live migration without Failover Clustering to move a virtual machine
-
Read these two threads if you haven't done so already. I believe @Scorpio finally solved it. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/173707-1607-account-picture-lock-screen.html http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/188674-set-specific-windows-10-accent-colour-via-gpo-reg.html
-
I think it follows the accent color of the last logged in user. Try setting the install theme key for the default user. I've not had a need to change it, the blue fits my branding.
-
spelling city is a site our staff use. Mobymax has a spelling module we use their site as well.
-
HyperV 2016 - Update Cluster Functional Level
ADMaster replied to garethEds's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I think I waited a week or two, but honestly it was a power shell one liner and didn't cause any issues. -
I don’t know what the RBCs of old were, but I’ll try to give my perspective. I am a small – medium sized districted compared to most. We have ITC’s that I equate with your LEA. They provide central hosted systems including firewall, filtering, SIS/MIS, library, and fiscal. They are also the ISP. Larger district host some if not all of that in house. My ITC had / has a LS cluster for filtering, they struggled with bandwidth for a time. The LS system was rated to handle 10G of traffic, but only filter 2-3G of it. They floated the idea of moving some of the filtering to the edge to take the load off the cluster. This was all back on version 2.x They also merged with company supplying another filtering platform. They offer both now. Due to other issues I had with LS at the time, I switched to the other and have it on site, so I have full control. I’ve learned the both platforms have their pros and cons. The biggest issue with a central filtering solution is some settings are global and must be one way for all schools. Other settings such as allow lists and blocked / allowed categories can be managed by each school through the tiered admin setup. The ITC would keep us updated with the software and occasionally needed to roll back when an issue was found. I have no doubt they are on 3.x now. I will not speculate on why SB didn’t update, but just say an onsite device that you have full control over will always be better than a hosted system shared with other customers.
-
We use clever and no one has reported issues yet. Although they have only ever used clever badges on those devices, the settings were not changed. The only time I've seen anything similar is when we reset a password. The Chromebook will ask the user to enter the old password. I tell users to just click forgot and proceed anyway. This erases any local data and resyncs from google. (there should not be any local data to worry about) What version is everyone on, I'm still holding at 62. Clever is only used in K-2, 3-12 get the standard sign in no SSO.
-
+1 to remove local accounts and use cached credentials.
-
SCCM 2016 Sources Folder Structure - Best Practice / Ideas
ADMaster replied to arh1a's topic in Enterprise Software
That script has it split up a lot further then what I'd use, but again its preference. I have the following structure. {Applications/product/version Applications/company/product/version} based on company a one off product has just its folder where Microsoft, Adobe etc have a company folder. Packages this is xml configs and scripts mostly for TS's OSimages/windows version Drivers/manufacturer or model Software update packages/year all updates for the given calendar year except definitions software update packages/definitions all endpoint definitions I hope this helps. -
Opinions wanted: Lenovo/IBM Server + Storage Warranty Experiences
ADMaster replied to Paid_Peanuts's topic in Hardware
I have a few Lenovo / EMC servers px4 and px12 one is my VM shared storage and another is my DPM storage. The VM storage could stand to have more IOPS but they were good value. Watch for configuration deals, I got one fully configured + bought the drives I wanted for cheaper then the no drives included model. I swapped in my drives and have the OEM's on the shelf just in case. -
I've had all Lenovo over the years. SL510's retired in favor of E550's have been the Thinkpad windows line. I still have some of those SL510's in service for lighter work loads. We have N21's and N22's Chromebooks. N22's did have a design flaw in their keyboard. I did have one consumer grade in service a G770 the hinges broke after 6 years. Anything in large enough quantities and you will find defects. I've found the HDD not held in with all the screws (E550), not an issue. I've had to re seat touch pad / keyboard cables, LCD cables etc. Most of the cable re seats are on the Chrome models after they have been in students hands for a while. The only serious recurring issue I've had was the N22 keyboards, but they are taking care of me on that.
-
Chrome Update hammering connection
ADMaster replied to tj2419's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
If you're referring to chrome on windows, I have the GPO set not to update. Then I push out the msi. If you're referring to ChromeOS then yes its a bandwidth killer. I have a Cachebox from Apliansys, the users don't notice a thing now, the connection is still perfectly usable. -
I've seen this mostly after a MFD install / upgrade or driver upgrade. We use Konica and there is a setting in the driver for authentication. If it is not set properly the job will try to authenticate against the machine and not papercut. Papercut thinks it printed, but the machine rejects it. This effects all users of that queue and not just a few. In your case, is it the same document that works on printer B, if not it could just be that document. Log into the mfd and look at its job history, any errors reported there?
-
In my experience doing a full home lab / having a domain for home use is overkill. If you have a decent spec machine you can install virtual box (free) and test things out there. Then just shut them down when your done. Most MS software has a 180 day eval license. There is also Microsoft Academy that provides access to virtual labs. That should get you started on Windows Servers anyway. If you want to learn virtualization, what platform? The concepts are the same, just different terminology. Again if you have a decent spec Windows machine you should be able to install hyper-v even on client OS. I think you need pro though. VMware used to provide esxi free, I'm sure they still do, but I've been on Hyper-v for several years now. It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles just a plain bare metal hyper-visor. Then there is Xen an OSS hyper-visor, I've never used it though. Storage and networking would probably be the most expensive to play with, but if you have access to the hardware great. Cisco has their packet tracer software that will allow you to learn switching a routing on your PC. Good Luck
-
I tried swapping in a previous version of Journeymap but the server rejected my login.
-
I've had sigs turned off for some time now, but I'm getting these ads, not quite inappropriate, but click bait. The log in / sign up type are particularly irritating / misleading. If someone was a new visitor and mistakes the ad for the site login. No idea what either of these are actually advertising, and I'm not clicking them either.
-
SCCM (again) - PXE problem on single PC
ADMaster replied to neonetman's topic in Enterprise Software
NIC / board hardware fault? Dodgy network cable? I've had a few strange issues before, 1 being will not image on a 100MB link and 2 needed to change around tftp settings for certain models. Tweaking PXE boot times in Configuration Manager 1606 – CCMEXEC.COM – Enterprise Mobility -
Have you updated the bios (system rom) for meltdown? One of the HPE threads I read this morning mentioned random reboots. I'll be rolling mine back to a previous rom this afternoon.
-
"Lets play a game"
-
All students can email any staff member. Students cannot send to distribution lists. Students cannot send/receive out of domain, except to white-listed domains. Students can only email each other in the same age range. Any email with objectionable content is copied to a SLT member to be addressed. We do display full names in the directory, I wish GSuite had an option for multiple GAL's
