Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ADMaster

Members
  • Posts

    1,402
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ADMaster

  1. Papercut is great, I'd look into it if you can. However I did have the accounting stuff configured before we got papercut. Its been about 5 years so here is what I recall. Get the admin software from konica's website this will allow you to configure the accounts and import / export settings. Makes it much nicer to configure. Then the driver needs configured for secure print, its in the drop down under output method.
  2. The most common reason I hear is I want in install X. The process is the same as any other request, submit a ticket. In most cases I just push the software, or remote in and do it. There have been a few cases I can change folder permissions to get around the need for admin. Then I have just a few users with programs that need admin. In very rare cases I give them the local admin password, or elevate their account, then on GP refresh they are demoted.
  3. The three commands that should help are; dcdiag repadmin replmon This will give you the current health / status and allow you to force a replication.
  4. That message is strange, I thought it was flexible single master operations role, that message says floating. I'd start by checking the replication health, and trying to move the fsmo roles off that DC manually before demoting. Does that server have DNS, the message indicates a DNS problem to me. Are the DNS settings of the server pointing to the other DCs or itself?
  5. Here are the screen shots. I think the problem is solved. I'll keep an eye on it this week to be sure. I'd still like to improve performance a bit though. If I add one more drive and convert to raid 10, that should be better hen what I have now. I believe the solution was a combination of things. 1. A new build of PDQ is working much better and not crashing. I've stressed the system and crashed the sccm console and pdq kept going. 2. the operations manager db not growing and getting re indexed was causing issues. 3. tuning sccm Thanks,
  6. I'll attach screenshots tomorrow, but all those settings I listed appear to be for the controller, not individual drives. Also I think I answered one of my own questions. I found a section called migrate raid / stripe (I'll get exact wording tomorrow). It looked like I could change the striping and raid level if I had more drives. I also opened a support ticket with PDQ they gave me a new build to try, so I'll test more tomorrow.
  7. While looking at the RAID configuration I noticed these are only 7200 rpm drives, I'm sure that makes a difference to your recommendations. A failed drive in one of my other HP servers was a 15K and I assumed they were identical. Thanks
  8. OK I've just taken a second look and I do have room for a total of 8 drives. Here are my settings, please advise. Smart HBA H240ar (RAID Mode) Transformation Priority Medium Rebuild Priority High Surface Scan Analysis Priority Idle with delay 3 seconds. Current Parallel Surface Scan Count 1 Physical Drive Write Cache Disabled Stripe Size / Full Stripe Size 256/512 KiB I should have write cache enabled, will do that soon, any recommendation on stripe size? If I go buy 5 more drives can I convert this to Raid 10 live, or will it be backup destroy / rebuild restore? Thanks,
  9. I think operations manager is a contributing factor. I don't know why I as reindexing the DBs as I have a maintenance plan doing that every week. However checking its history, it has been failing since I installs SCOM. I tried to reindex manually and it says I'm out of space to add files or enable auto growth. I have enabled / disabled auto growth a few times and restarted the sql service. The gui says it is enabled, but the errors say it is not. Edit: I increased the intial size my 100MB, then I was able to rebuild, heres hoping it continues to behave. Thanks
  10. Thank you for the advice so far. I will lay out all the specs and applications running. I know there is no way I’ll get best practice on everything, one article I read said OS/ apps/ DB /Logs all on separate spindles. That seems a waste of resources. This server has all my System center related stuff sql and pdq. My environment is 600-700 windows devices so consider that, I don’t need TB’s of DB files / RAM. The current SQL DB files are this. Solar Winds Orion 25GB SUSDB 6GB SCCM 6GB Operations Manager DW 1.8GB Operations Manager 1GB Virtual Manager 800MB Report Server 73MB I have reindexed most of the DB’s, defraged some key files including the pdq database and disabled incremental updates on several collections. The pdq database is in the programdata folder on drive C: it uses sqlite. It is 2GB SQL’s min / max memory is set to 8 / 16 GB This server runs SCCM, SQL, PDQ, SCVMM and most recently SCOM. It also hosts the DB for my solar winds setup. The OS and data are on separate volumes, but it is the same underlying raid disks. I just added ScOM very recently to learn, it only has a dozen or so agents attached. The physical server specs are this; HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9 (P89) 32 GB RAM 12-Core 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz SKU 780018-S01 From the front it looks like I only have a total to 6 drive bays, I may have overlooked some if that is not standard. I know it currently has 3 of the 15K sas drives. When I checked counters this morning the average disk queue was 5 and now it is 8. When I reindexed the solar winds DB, I lost access to PDQ, but once it was done I could reopen the application. I think with the advice from Friday we have made improvements but are not quite there yet. Just typing this out has be good to realize all the data. If I recall SQL likes to live in RAM as much as possible, so having less RAM the my DB sizes means I’m paging. I just read an article that suggested disk queue length isn’t the whole story when it comes to SQL. There are several queries I can run to find bottle necks. I’ll read and learn more on that and report back. Thanks,
  11. Thanks I've had a read through that and I'm sure I have collections with incremental updates. I will definitely defrag the indexes, i have a script around here for that. I forgot to say that hour reboot included updates installing. To your suggestions The lights are all green, its not reporting any smart errors. the top disk i/o processes are sql and pdq working on this thanks for the guide. I'm not a fan of rebuilding the array, but will if I have to. Does this mean data loss / backup and restore, or just the raid controller doing its thing to include the other disks? Thanks, EDIT, shortly after my first post pdq started working again, but its been a daily battle for the last few weeks. I'm sure it will crash out again before the day is done.
  12. Hello all, I’m not sure if this should be in the server or hardware section, feel free to move it. I’ve been having trouble with one of my servers. The main application giving unusable symptoms is PDQ inventory. This server is also sccm / sql server. I recently installed scom to have a play with it too. I go into resource monitor and the disk queue length jumps quite a bit. I’d guess it averages 10 but frequently spikes to 30 – 50 and occasionally 100. Going into performance monitor and running the system performance report, all returns normal. The latest report was 215/sec (135 read 80 write) The resource monitor also shows anywhere from 1 to 10 mbps of disk i/o If I recall a sata connection is 3 or 6 Gbps so this should not be an issue. These are 3 15K sas drives in a raid 5 configuration. I know for this config the ideal queue length is no more then 6, but most of the system seems to be working fine. I just imaged a PC this morning without issue. Last week in addition to the disk issues, I had high cpu with wsus, I thought that was the problem for a time, but that’s cleared up and I still have issues. I’ve monitored the disks even when PDQ is working well and it’s about the same, so I’m at a loss on what to try next. The event logs show the scom database is out of room, it didn’t have auto grow enabled. I enabled it and it has not grown yet. I rebooted the server this morning for good measure, it took about an hour to reboot. I ran defragler and saw the pdq database was in 9k fragments. I defragmented just that file. Still no joy. I’m considering removing scom, but I tried just stopping the services and things didn’t improve. I’ve also considered throwing more disks at the problem, but can I add to / expand the raid? The chassis has room for 3 more disks. This is an HP Proliant Gen9 Storage is not my strong suit, any advice welcome. Thank you
  13. Yes that's why I spelled it Bucket and not Bouquet. ITS BOUQUET NOT BUCKET! It used to air over here on PBS.
  14. I just checked one of mine and re enable and deprovision option are both available. Whatever you do don't deprovision, that is for permanent loss / sold on etc. I'd try a refresh of the browser, then call google support. I use the disable feature all the time as a way to find lost devices. Edit: Also worth enabling force re enrollment. It won't solve this problem, but a good setting to have on. Chrome 65 is supposed to have auto re enroll.
  15. A bucket of flowers?
  16. I had a skim of the new v66 gpos and saw a policy to continue trusting them if you want. https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#EnableSymantecLegacyInfrastructure
  17. Yes working again here to, thanks to the admins whatever you did. @ZeroHour
  18. I've just installed tapatalk it is working.
  19. When the apps data was cleared there was a brief message before the crash. I was able to get a screen shot. The app does have location permission so I don't know why its asking this. I'm glad its not just me and probably has nothing to do with me mucking with permissions. Unless you mucked with permissions too @robk
  20. I've broken the app somehow. I've done everything short of a full reset. A few weeks ago I culled a lot of permissions. I've used the app since then, but today it is crashing. I've granted it all the permissions again, rebooted, cleared data, uninstalled / reinstalled etc. The device was also recently upgraded to oreo. attached is a crash log from before the resets and after. Thanks, 833-EduGeek-AndroidCrashed-200324-94648.txt 833-EduGeek-AndroidCrashed-200324-21663.txt
  21. Yes, I've been using it for years. Even on my 2016 DC. However it appears the link to sha1hexfltr is dead, which is what I use. The hashing-password-filter is still available for download, but I can't comment on its use. Another solution I used before sha1hexfltr is Passwd HK I paired it with gam to sync passwords. It had problems with special characters so I've not used that since GAPS came along. Another option that may work for you is to use the same initial password for everyone. I think GADS has an option to set the password to a static value on user creation. If you then use that password when you create the AD user, you will be at the same end result.
  22. There is a password filter dll sha1hexfltr that will put an sha1 hashed version of the password in the division field. Point GCDS at this field, and your initial password will sync. You will also need to alter the permissions so users cannot read the attribute. https://angrytechnician.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/securing-your-google-apps-sha1-password-hashes/
  23. My tech and I talked of this a few months ago. He started talking about different stuff just to see and soon enough there would be an ad. He has since turned off mic access for facebook.
  24. Need to resurrect this one. Has anyone disabled access to apis and which ones? I'm considering enabling this, but its domain wide so i can't test with a few users. I know I can trust apps from the installed apps list, but if that app isn't installed how do I get its App ID to add it? I have several apps that are just the app id for the name, anyway to find out what those are? Some apps say they have access to other, whats that? For gmail and drive, I can disable access to high risk. Google gives an example, but is there a detailed list of what data this is? Thank you
×
×
  • Create New...