Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. I read too much - its why I ended up buying an e-reader as I literally have no more space for books or bookshelves in my house. On average I probably get through four or five in a busy week, more if I'm not doing much else. Travelling's the worst. Having to take a dozen books for a week's holiday really uses up your weight allowance fast.
  2. You could always try a search for guestbook hosting. These were the first guys that turned up on mine - Guest-Book.co.uk - fully customizable free guestbook
  3. Well, there's this pre-built cantenna which might help: Canny Antenna Design - www.wi-fiplanet.com And I'd imagine any access point would do. One with two aerials would probably be best though, one to link to the cantenna and one to broadcast around the house. Otherwise you might end up having to use two networked together, and I've no idea whether that would work (can't see any reason why it wouldn't though). Edit: Just as a thought, is there any sort of agreement that the town hall require which might be against this?
  4. Cantenna hooked up to a wireless access point configured to act as a relay? Edit: Something like this http://www.sysmaster.com/products/wireless_bridge.php with the antenna socket plugged into a cable running up to the roof, and a cantenna pointing at the town hall'd probably do it.
  5. It sounds like they were copying the link to the picture, rather than the actual picture. In word it'd appear as an embedded picture but most likely be a link. This is just a guess though. I'm curious why they couldn't right-click, were the images on the page protected for copyright?
  6. For me I guess its not really that, I was working in a bookshop when the Harry Potter craze hit and came across the same problem. People would come in and ask for Harry Potter, which is a good thing no matter what you think of the books, at least people are reading. But at the same time the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix was coming out, along with the Edgewood Chronicles, the Darren Shan books, Goodknyght series, and many others. These were pretty much crushed by the ridiculous hype that surrounded Harry Potter, so people bought Harry Potter, read it, and didn't even pause to think that there might be other books they could sit and read rather than just going back to relying on the television. I'd much rather the publicity for these 'blockbuster' books were parcelled out a little more, preferably to books with a little intelligence, but Hollywood publishing seems to be the big thing these days so I can't see it happening.
  7. Good thing he hadn't got rusty at all, and that he'd flown that particular model. I've no objection to Dan Brown in principle. Its just in practice that I don't like his work. That and the fact that it gets raved about, while geniuses like Max Frei and George Mann go unremarked.
  8. I was indifferent to Dan Brown, right up until I was dragged along to watch Angels and Demons. The amount of anti-matter in that little tube would have been enough to sterilize half the planet. Probably more. The moon most likely wouldn't have gone untouched either. And since when was anti-matter all glowy and shiny? For that matter, why did a priest have training in flying a helicopter? Why would anyone store anti-matter in a little glass tube which can actually be taken away, and is hooked up to a battery which only lasts 24 hours? Then I watched the Da Vinci code again, and nearly cried at what he'd done to Da Vinci.
  9. Learning Gateway systems which allow parents to check on their children's attendance, behaviour and so on over the internet in (usually at least near-) real-time. School communication systems which send text messages to parents of children who are missing from school, or e-mails, or automatically call them. Even school e-newsletters which keep parents up to date on things which are going on, where they might just through a normal paper newsletter in the bin or never see it.
  10. Parental involvement programs - anything which involves the parents more, and makes it easier for them to get involved. A lot of this revolves around IT these days.
  11. If you select your courses/exams carefully, and choose the right elective then your MCSA exams will count towards the MCSE, and you can also end up with MCSA Security and MCSE Security, just so you can have a few more letters to throw around.
  12. It means you get one volume license key. Its a single license covering multiple installations, rather than multiple licenses with each covering a single installation. I think anyway. Licensing gives me a headache.
  13. I had something similar in one school I worked in, until I found the right way to approach it. Originally I'd tried e-mails, mentioning things and so on. Nothing got done unless a crisis was hit. Then I hit on the idea of writing out a business plan, scheme of work, budget, and detail of improvements. It took a while to get everything that I wanted to do down, with all of the various options and some pretty diagrams to show how things would be scheduled and what the impact would be, as well as the benefits. Basically I made a full business project proposal. I then arranged a meeting with the head teacher, assistant head and bursar. I also requested that it be presented at the next governors meeting. They refused this at first, until I applied for selection as a staff governor. The first meeting took about an hour and a half. The governors meeting took another three hours a couple of weeks later. By the end of both I had a budget (less than I'd mentioned in my plan, but well within my safety margin), was reporting directly to the bursar as my line manager instead of the head of ICT, and had the go ahead to start on the project. I'm still convinced its at least partly because I ensured that I was clean-shaven and wearing a suit to both meetings, whereas usually I have at least a goatee and am slightly scruffy to say the least. May not help with anyone else's situation, but my point is that sometimes the way you approach things can really make a difference. Throwing reams and reams of well-formatted, well-diagrammed documents at a problem can in fact make it go away while dire warnings of doom and despair go unheeded. Remember, dire warnings come along every day, a good business presentation is a rarity.
  14. Options are self-study, correspondence course, center-based course and residential course. Those are in order of (usual) pricing. Self-study requires the books and exams, and possibly some equipment to practice on. Would run to maybe a few hundred (exams are about £80 each, free second shot if you fail the first time). Amazon's the best place to look for the books, and I believe ProMetric handle the exams these days. I don't know much about correspondence courses. A center-based course depends on regular attendance, whether as an evening class, weekend class, or whatever. Generally more expensive than a correspondence course or self-study, but cheaper than residential. These may or may not include exams, depending on the course. QA-IQ offer these, and I know that others do as well. Some colleges offer Microsoft courses for adults. If what you really need is an intensiveupdate then it might be worth going for a residential course. They're the most expensive option, but generally it means that it'll only take you a couple of weeks to get everything updated rather than months. Only worth doing if it suits your learning style however. For these you're generally looking at a few thousand for an MCSE course. Firebrand are generally the people I go with for these (if nothing else, the food is fantastic) but there are many others out there.
  15. Advertising and data. Don't forget the data.
  16. For most servers it does work by default, but DCs are much more tightly locked down than your average Windows server.
  17. If I remember correctly zone . is root, top-level, basically the 12 (I think) servers which host DNS for the internet. Is your DNS server defined as being authoritative for all zones?
  18. I can't see myself leaving IT willingly, I enjoy the area too much. If I did though my plan is to take my emergency fund and emigrate to Canada, then just see what happens.
  19. - the cloud dumbs down services to appeal to more people, its users beging to regress, forgetting literacy - the few techies perfect task automation and begin to rely on their machines - the cloud users eventually devolve into Morlocks, while the techies become Eloi.
  20. jamesb

    Commute

    It might be worth trying the commute for a time, but keeping your eye open for places to live which are closer. Could also be worth looking at the difference in house/flat prices between the two.
  21. I didn't even notice, but then I haven't used Google at all for a few months. Just had a look at it now and honestly can't tell the difference.
  22. My Computer | Manage | Shared Folders | Sessions should show you what sessions are open on the machine. If you bring up Services.msc and kill the SQL Server Browser service, that should stop anyone logging on until you restart it.
  23. jamesb

    9/11

    I was working in a pub at the time and had to come in for a staff meeting. I remember us all coming back up the stairs after the meeting to hear the pub in complete silence. Everyone was sitting and watching. My first reaction was to grab a phone and desperately call my parents. They were in New York at the time, and I knew that one of the people they were going to meet was in the Towers. Fortunately for them, they'd had that meeting a few days before, but I didn't find that out until two days later since I was completely unable to get in touch with them.
  24. I think he means the little torch symbol which appears in Explorer while the system's running through the file structure. Run a defrag, should help.
  25. As another semi-hero (more a conglomerate of them) for me, Bletchley Park and Colossus.
×
×
  • Create New...