Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. If we're going for sci-fi, why not just say all the kids have brain implants which allow direct access for the teacher's computer to the child's visual cortex?
  2. Maybe replacing ICT with Computing and Networking, or a similar subject? ICT always seemed to me to be made up of the techniques which should be taught in other classes, whereas Computing would be more appropriate to teach the actual foundations behind the technologies involved and wouldn't be covered under other subjects, even under a well-integrated curriculum.
  3. Personally I think that by the time I get to retirement age, it'll probably be around 80. Just bump the age up by a year every few years. Of course, such a move makes quality of life much more important in later life, as well as the current focus on simple length of life. It'll also be more important to be able to move into more flexible working patterns as people age, provide more holidays and so on. I suspect we'll move into more of a situation where instead of simply ceasing work, people continue to work as long as they can but reduce the hours/amount of work they do. That's my most optimistic slant on trends.
  4. Yes. Not to mention that there are more and more of them every day.
  5. I agree with your gripe, but I thought we were meant to be teaching practical skills? Most of them aren't going to walk straight into a senior position where they can simply make their own decisions. Teaching them that would be handy, but it'll be more effectively useful for most to know how an actual meeting where these proposals are discussed would work. Of course, this is assuming that you're training them as general technical staff rather than public sector technical staff.
  6. Touch-typing, first and foremost. Business Studies would have to involve how to spec, cost and write a business case for a new project. Ideally as a committee and, if there's enough money available, actually implemented on the network where appropriate/possible. Obviously this would probably be restricted to the higher level students, or even run as a competition each year.
  7. SOLUS3?
  8. Nokia are also developing a few applications to improve things as well. I know that they've done one which essentially allows you to transfer money via text message (sort of, the full mechanism is a bit more complex) so that people who've left their villages to work in towns can send money home without having to rely on the honesty and kindness of strangers. There's also a farming application to help with crop rotation which I heard about, and the bike charger they're looking to release is intended to help even more people use their phones. Of course, since they're a company they are almost certainly doing this in order to increase the market and get more money out, but they're improving people's lives along the way, somewhat more than the average iPhone might. Meanwhile Google and Apple are continuing their little spat to devalue the definition of open, and to try and get every bit of data on their users lives to sell (Google) or control their consumers (Apple). Is it too late to become a luddite?
  9. You've obviously not tried some of the beers I have - though I'd still prefer the choice. However its true that there is too much choice from some companies. I'm just pleased to see that Nokia are hopefully fixing this in their own product lines.
  10. I'm planning to get an N8 at my next upgrade - the mechanical shutter, proper flash and good camera were the big selling points for me. On top of that I'm a big fan of Nokia. If you're feeling patient I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives (upgrade day is a few weeks away).
  11. I thought they took down Geocities months ago?
  12. jamesb

    Paranoid Linux

    Just found something I thought was interesting. Cory Doctorow wrote a book which included a lot of use of a fictional distro called Paranoid Linux. Some people may have heard of it. I just happened to come across this while doing a quick bit of web trawling - Tinfoil Hat Linux Anyone under attack from the government at the moment? Might be useful for you.
  13. $csvfile = Import-CSV C:\students.txt foreach ($badstudent in $csvfile) { add-MailboxPermission -Identity $badstudent -User admin -AccessRights fullaccess }
  14. Actually when I first saw this I was thinking a large block of Swiss cheese (made of wood) infested by 'mice'. I should be an artist.
  15. Glad to help - Powershell games are here: 2010 Scripting Games: Preparations - Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs All the powershell I know, I learned off the Scripting Guys. Some very good tutorials.
  16. Any thoughts on a project you'd like to do? Maybe something where it'd be convenient to learn a skill alongside? Six weeks is plenty of time to learn a new language, particularly if it's more scripting than software dev. If you haven't before pay a visit to the Scripting guys at Microsoft Technet and look into Powershell. The Powershell games make a great little challenge to give an aim and learn at the same time.
  17. W3Schools Online Web Tutorials always has some fairly good tutorials to work through.
  18. jamesb

    Lol... C64?!

    Bunch of newbies. My first was this little beast - Tangerine MICROTAN 65 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Even programmed Game of Life on it with the help of my dad. Of course, it was seven years old by the time I got my hands on it...
  19. Not quite true - an affinity for those who are similar is partly instinctive, but actual xenophobia is a different matter. Often the instinctive dislike of the different is minor except under times of stress/lack of resources, where the primacy of the tribe surfaces.
  20. I remember an old sci-fi story where they had something like this, although the 'dry' water was actually a combustible powder which would burn when ignited to provide safe drinking water. Not technically dehydrated though, as you've not removed the hydrogen oxide. We really should get around to banning this hazardous dihydrogen monoxide substance though. Did you know it can be lethal in amounts as small as a thimbleful?
  21. How exactly? They're outstanding achievements. His illness has nothing to do with it. They're not somehow greater achievements because he's disabled, nor would they be lesser if he were able-bodied. It's not ignoring his disability, it's simply realising that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the theories he's propounded.
  22. jamesb

    ID cards

    Didn't you know? We're in google's world now. Enough data mining and they'll be able to spot all the potentially dangerous anomalous patterns for further investigation. You're no longer an individual, you're a set of statistics defining a 'normal' behaviour pattern which can then deviate into abnormality, obviously showing you to be some sort of threat. Really can't recommend this book enough (and it's a legal and free download) - Little Brother » Download for Free
  23. But there are usually consistent patterns of genes which indicate/cause a condition. In this case it looks like they've not really found anythign of import, but either the 'scientists' involved or the papers feel like making a big fuss over the research. I suspect (hope) that it's the papers.
  24. So let's see, 15% of a sample of 366 gives us 54.9, call it 55. 7% of 1000 gives us 70. So in fact they have identified more people with those genetic variations and no ADHD, than they have with ADHD in terms of absolute numbers. Hardly the conclusive, direct link they're talking about. Out of people with the genetic variations only 44% have ADHD. There could be plenty of environmental factors or other selection biases leading to this. Also, out of the 366, 311 didn't have the genetic variations they were looking for. Maybe there is a genetic factor, maybe not, but this study certainly doesn't provide any sort of proof, or even good evidence.
  25. Visiting Microsoft Technet may help, or looking at your text books.
×
×
  • Create New...