Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. powdarrmonkey

    SSL cert

    move ssl certificate iis
  2. It's in release candidate, I don't know what the projected release date is.
  3. It almost certainly has other repercussions, yes, but I haven't read the patent yet so I can't comment on exactly what.
  4. Oh, I misread your OP completely, sorry. In that case I'd do the same thing but the other way round, so your external host proxies to the inside and returns a suitable error if it's not there. I did this at my last place, where I could only open the intranet to the outside world to a strict set of IP addresses, so I persuaded the LA that controlling access through an external proxy was a safer compromise.
  5. '8 meg line' probably means ADSL, so pitiful upload. If it were me, I'd use Apache and mod_proxy, with a suitably configured error page. Then poison your internal DNS so that it thinks the internal site is the one to go for, and let it handle passing requests through to outside.
  6. Ack. This is exactly what I do, it's just simpler.
  7. The default that you've put in /etc/apt/apt.conf should stop that happening... it might be a ubuntuism, you might have to put it into a new config file in /etc/apt/conf.d.
  8. Aha, I was just looking for this thread. Excellent
  9. . o O you speak for yourself!
  10. I'd apply in writing and say something like, "I became aware of the vacancy through your London office where my father is ....". Gets the connection in, mentions that he's important, but doesn't look like he's foisting you on them since he's not actively involved in the process.
  11. Hmm, I didn't know about that magic. Thanks.
  12. You're talking a full-blown domain rename, not something to be taken lightly. What Is Domain Rename?: Active Directory
  13. Create it, and yes.
  14. Oh sorry, must have mis-read. Anywho, 1. Add karmic repositories to your apt sources (use a local mirror) 2. Pin the default to be jaunty packages: /etc/apt/apt.conf: APT::Default-Release "jaunty"; 3. apt-get update, apt-get install -d -t karmic grub2 4. Check the correct version was downloaded, then drop the -d to install it
  15. Ah, yes. That's certainly not going to help It's a karmic installation, right? Once you've chrooted into it you should be able to apt-get dist-upgrade to get grub2_1.96+20090725 and then reinstall it as before. If it's a jaunty installation (ignore the rescue cd, you're just using that as a way to chroot) you'll have to add mixed repositories, pin them to jaunty, and pull in the karmic grub2 package. I'll walk you through that if you have. Edit: I just thought, I would actually do an apt-get update and then apt-get install grub2, which should just upgrade grub2, not everything else.
  16. Try dpkg-reconfigure grub2
  17. I read somewhere that KMS 1.2, allowing Win7 activations, isn't due on the download centre until tomorrow, and via WSUS on the 25th August. Edit: found it - http://blogs.technet.com/hied_west_blog/archive/2009/07/27/windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-availability-kms-updates.aspx
  18. RDP is susceptible to attack, yes - brute force and MITM. I would much rather create a proper VPN and connect to that, then RDP through it (following the usual best practises, of course).
  19. +1 for Prism, but get it directly and use their deployment manager.
  20. It should be fine, chroot just straps you into the target installation as if you'd booted it. It doesn't do any automatic mounting, init scripts etc though.
  21. UPDATE </pre><table> SET `productimages`= CONCAT('images/', `productnumber`, '.jpg')</
  22. My machine at work does this because it's set to power on after loss of power, and it's a little too sensitive to supply fluctuations. Check also that the battery is in good health and has been conditioned recently, that the adaptor isn't on its way out and that it's not set to wake on LAN (again, I have a machine that's very sensitive to that).
  23. That would be chroot(8)
×
×
  • Create New...