-
Posts
351 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by fooby
-
A pretty quick googling came up with Link This should do it am downloading now .... fooby
-
We have a connection from the SWGfL and i fax a change request to them they unfilter a port, give me the IP address and I host whatever I want, our homepage will be hosted locally (when it works) as well as resources that students can access in college and at home. This works for us as I know a lot about PHP and such and can add / change / install whatever we need on the servers. fooby
-
For some reason, i have a windows 2003 enterprise, php5 (using fast cgi), mysql 5, box running moodle (with ldap authentication against windows 2003 AD). In some section (that the admin user of moodle uses) when they add a Teacher to a course, the application pool goes offline and then we get a happy "Service Unavailable" message for all the server. The director of ict here (Jon Lunn) is the one trying to get this to work Moodle Forums Coming from a techie side, is there anyway i can trace whats happening on the IIS server stepping through so to speak so i can see what tips it over the edge? Has anyone else had anything like this happen? thanks in advance fooby ### How to fix ### After mucking about a bit, I tracked it down to this, Lines 97 to 111 in file moodle/course/teacher.php /// Add a teacher if one is specified if (!empty($_GET['add']) and confirm_sesskey()) { if (! add_teacher($add, $course->id)) { error("Could not add that teacher to this course!"); } } /// Remove a teacher if one is specified. if (!empty($_GET['remove']) and confirm_sesskey()) { if (! remove_teacher($remove, $course->id)) { error("Could not remove that teacher from this course!"); } } Does some stuff with sesskey things. After looking where it looks to get the confirm_sesskey() function i went to the config.php In file moodle/config.php, line 20, require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php"); So in this file (I know, long follow) moodle/lib/setup.php I uncommented lines 333 and 334 /// In VERY rare cases old PHP server bugs (it has been found on PHP 4.1.2 running /// as a CGI under IIS on Windows) may require that you uncomment the following: session_register("USER"); session_register("SESSION"); This worked for me. fooby
-
When our PE department needed wireless for their laptops, we were recommended to get one of 3Com Wireless LAN Access Point 7250 These have small aerials on them, however have a massive range through walls and such, the aerials are screw on, so if the range isnt sufficient, then external ones can be attached. The AP is expensive, however you get what you pay for. With these (about £200) you should expect a better standard than a cheapo AP with big aerials. However YMMV whichever way you go.
-
In a thin client school I visited, they had 2 guys to about 600 thin clients. In our place, the technicians will do all things like fittin projectors and screens to building PC's. So we have 5 guys to 500 PC's, we managed to get 5 as we dont need to out source jobs to other places. fooby
-
Editing the HOSTS file for about 500 computers could be done I suppose, however editing the DNS server is only one change. On my PC here to admin the network I have done that in testing and such. I will investigate the configurations. thanks
-
Is the location of the start menu allowed? for example c:\documents and settings\username\start menu\ for unrestricted rights? the LNK start menu files need to be in a place that SRP has unrestricted access.
-
So in the config, you put in http://'.$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] instead of the address? I could try this. Thanks to everyone so far, this is a good resource.
-
@ chrisg re: adding the forward lookup: Yes i can do this however I cut off access to my proxy server, I can add the addresses for this manually. If the addresses of the proxy changes this could cause problems also if another address is added to our domain, for internal access I would have to add the entries manually. @ DMcCoy re: http://'.$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] Can't really change that, its Joomla, Moodle, PHPBB2 that are being used, I suppose i could modify these if i wanted to be adventurous. @apeo re: bypassing proxy For the students, they use an internal proxy server, which passes the request externally, to another proxy. I could bypass this doing what you say, however the above applies too, where the script will redirect to the FQDN machine.school.region.sch.uk.
-
Yeah good plan
-
It stores the files wherever the TEMP environment variable is set to, if you can change this to a place less obvious, or that is cleared out often or a network share where EXE's are disabled to be stored (file screening on a hp nas or windows server R2's file screening) this will obviously add network traffic, and slow down dreamweaver as its accessing a network place. Thinking about it you could set the temp folder to their document or profile folder with the file screening on, however 16bit or some older software will become affected by this change... not good. i remember now i tried changing it and lots of our maths software stopped working.
-
Yeah, the address is machine.school.region.sch.uk internally we have machine.school-cc.region.sch.uk internally so the domains are different. Last time I added school.region.sch.uk as a forward lookup it couldnt resolve proxy.school.region.sch.uk and no one had internet access. I assume also we wouldnt have been able to access http://www.school.region.sch.uk (this address is not the webserver im talking about http://www.school.region.sch.uk is one hosted by someone else) I suppose i could add school.region.sch.uk as a forward lookup and then add the proxy and the www and the webserver i want in manually, however i would prefer that the second forward lookup pass the requests to the LEA dns server so i dont have to update it, should any addresses change. fooby
-
As far as I explored, there wasn't. I have taken the "security through obscurity" approach and ignored the problem and not talked about it . The director of ICT here has said any problems from it and its an admin thing (get parents in etc) we can reclone a pc using symantec ghost (that was fun gettin it set up ) so its not a major problem.
-
That might work, however some of the PHP scripts need to have the full domain name for links set in its settings (some arent relative and will go to http://external.address/section/file.php etc) so I need that external address changed so that it points to the internal IP address. For example, if i went to http://internalname/index.php it would display the page. When I press logon, I would get redirected to http://external.address.sch.uk/logon.php (or whatever) Some of the resources (basic html pages with video archive) works (actually its channel 4 clipbank cds, work pretty good ) fooby
-
Hi We have an IIS server internally hosted, with an external IP tunneling in. The domain name points from the outside world internally, and I would like to make our dns server point the external address to the internal IP address. As it is, traffic from the webserver goes out to the world and back (over a 2mb link) which considerably slows things. In the DNS server i added a new Primary Forward lookup zone, however this is not forwarding requests on for unknown DNS queries. It returns an error that i cant find that address. this is needed because it is our proxy server hosted by our LEA that i need the IP for. I can manually add this but i would either like it to forward the request to the LEA dns servers, or if anyone knows a way to add a DNS entry manually for just one address. Long post I know, but hopefully I explained all fooby
-
You are going to have problems with the macromedia suite. In the college i administer i found that dreamweaver spawns a process in the users temp folder, called something similar to (random each time) ~edb112.tmp Currently this means students can write to this folder and run anything. :'(
-
we have three 1-terabyte NAS's. So we dont set any limits for anyone. The NAS devices are win2003 hp boxes, we also have an sql (sims) server with a terabyte storage, I just built the webserver with a terabyte in it. most other servers have about 100gb in them. Total storage (1TB nas is 700gig formatted) is probably about 4 to 5 terabytes. One NAS is a backup of others. We plan to buy a 2TB NAS for more backup storage to make the smaller ones file stores. fooby
-
Hello, My name is Graeme, i'm the assistant network manager for a pretty hefty network now. I have pretty much brought it from Windows 98 to WinXP office 2003, exchange 2003, everywhere. With loads of clever group policies. I also have setup veritas backup 9, symantec ghost, altiris 5.5. Recently just setup an IIS6 php mysql server with joomla cms, phpbb2 (with ldap / active directory authentication) and moodle (with ldap / active directory authentication) This site looks good, If I hadn't found it, (after icttechnician.com) I would have setup my own anyway Graeme
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think I can edit the RSS module to remove images, I have worked with Dragonfly for a while since before it was even called Dragonfly fooby
