-
Posts
1,403 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dgsmith
-
Whenever our students reach their limit on their mailbox on exchange 2k3, they get a recurring message telling them of this. Such was the case after the summer when we had a load come to us saying they couldn't do anything because of this message spam (simply just deleting the email with the attachment of course solved that). However, we don't particularly want it recurring every few minutes. Is there any means to limit this or just make it show the once? It takes some time to select all and delete when there are many 1000s of these messages in a mailbox!
-
Hi Simon, I sent you an email with our cartridges for a price request on them but haven't received a reply..? Dave
-
Eclipse2 network connection error (very frustrating)!
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We have eclipse on the central FR server with the client software installed on workstations for access to it. It does actually appear to pull down the database from the server and show it (as we can see the database entries when we first load it up), however this error prevents the user from doing anything within the eclipse client. -
We did some network updates during the summer (CC3 to CC4.. don't ask) and now our eclipse2 package is giving us the most annoying error which we can't figure out! ERROR: Network connection aborted by localhost NUMBER: 10053 SOURCE: Userarea.Initialise (RuntimeDLL) ..which comes up as soon as eclipse loads (and wont go away). Machine has no firewall set (at least the MS one says disabled) and workstation security is zero, although we don't know whether it is something that CC4 has broken. However, I just wanted to see if anyone had seen this on their own network (for whatever reason), or could suggest what the message means!
-
Our local PC World charge £14.99 to install ram (that is just to slot it in to place). I cringe whenever I read that big prices board above the "tech guys" area! The work you have carried out seems pretty average stuff (I assume you didn't encounter any particular difficulty in fulfilling the task in hand). Backing up the data itself isn't a particularly difficult task, but where you required to actually collate and find all the data necessary to backup, or was this already consolidated by the customer or at least in an area where not much effort was required on your behalf to transfer to disk? The rest seem pretty low-skill tasks and I would be looking around a ballpark figure of £35 labour (working off a £25 initially + £10/hr thereafter), maybe an extra fiver or so if I was required to do additional work on the backup procedure (which may add more time). Of course, you can give or take depending on how well you know the person (and if you can expect more future work off them), which of course means you may want to be leniant on the price if you hope for any future work.
-
Yup, that is the same as we have here, a Canon LiDE 20 with 3 front-panel configurable buttons. However, I changed our "scan" option to "save" due to what I thought would be an issue described above. I don't think i'll implement the "photocopy" option, as it seems it could be prone to abuse and you wouldn't know who printed what off (as we use papercut to log each print made normally). None the less, for your average scanning, I can see this working a treat!
-
I have just given this a try yesterday on a spare machine we had (not great spec but it doesn't need to be), and it works flawlessly! Once I had configured the scanner to just save the document and not open mspaint after each scan (think of the memory usage after a while!), then it worked fine and did exactly as you described. Beats having to log into a special machine to scan when you can have one ready to go!
-
That's an excellent idea! Don't know why we hadn't thought about that ourselves, and as you mention it is reasonably easy to configure. May give that a try ourself!
-
28p each?? We have just paid some £2.60 from DABS for around 20 half metre STP coloured cables! Where did you get those from at that price and length? Even Misco do the UTP cables for 70p..
-
We have had quite a large network install expansion over the summer, with the final ports now being terminated. Recently, we have increasingly been making our own "short" patch cables for the cab, as anything over half a metre (sometimes even half a metre cables themselves) look messy en-masse. I was aware that the likelyhood of the cable quality being on par with that which you can buy professionally made was quite slim, however, we haven't seen any particular issues in doing this (especially with the very short ones). However, i've been told that making cables yourself, especially any shorter than 0.5m (some of mine are 0.2/0.3) can have a noticeable negative impact in speed and reliability (due to length and interference). Whilst I don't doubt that it may cause some problems, is the degree which the signal degrades severe enough to contemplate buying in 100+ patch cables professionally made? We have bought some shielded cat5e cables for patching our servers, but specifically I was talking about desktops, most of which will have gig capability at nic and switch.
-
That is what I thought. The switches we have bought have all just been layer2, as we didn't see any reason for spending extra on layer3, but of course, it means we can't fully make use of the technology out there. Does the layer3 switch necessarily have to be the core, or can be it hung off the core?
-
Implementing a VLAN is something I have looked into myself, but never had the time to consider it seriously. We only have L2 switches though (fully managed HP ones), but not L3. Would we be in any position to do this? Sorry for the hijack by the way
-
£29.99 for a 32MB drive from Maplin (and that was special introductory offer)! Although, can't quite recall how long ago it was, but I am thinking late 2003/early 2004. I wouldn't necessarily condemn flash drives bought from Asia, providing the reseller is a trusted source. By that I mean, we have just bought a large batch to sell to students, and the manufacturing country is China, although the failure rate has been low (in comparison to how many we have). PC World have a good offer on as well - 2x 4GB PNY drives for £20 (for both)! PNY all the way for me - never let me down.
-
Noone got any more suggestions for this? Seems the most common remedies have been tried in vain!
-
CC3 Learning Resources on non-CC3 PC?
dgsmith replied to docboggle's topic in Network and Classroom Management
try using https:///rf -
Although some here have had problems with RAM, we never have (when buying generic). Usually, we'll stick to Kingston/Corsair/Crucial as those seem to have better compatability with motherboards than other brands, and touch wood, we have yet to see any problems.
-
dabs4work - Generic Memory products at great prices from dabs4work
-
My thoughts as well - I wouldn't have thought packaging like that would be uncommon for items of that size! Heck, we got one huge box (the same size as you get on these beastly-sized laser printers) from DABS, just for a few screen sprays (although, DABS always oversize on their packaging)!
-
Just popped in another power supply and only hooked up the HDD and Motherboard - no change. Can't boot from anything (including disk), so this may be difficult. I've cleared the BIOS again and noticed that by default the USB kb/mouse setting is enabled, so decided to disable it and see what would happen. Unfortunately, again, no change! I managed to load Windows again after first boot, but going in to safe mode, yet a reboot again in normal Windows mode returns to this screen! I am at a loss, although I also agree it is very unlikely anything to do with ACPI (given other machines in this batch work fine, all same spec). Dave
-
Computer is 2yrs old, and many others from the batch are fine. Thing is, even when we go in to the recovery (it has a recovery partition), or load XP from disk, it'll go back to this BSOD - so we can't even reimage the machine!
-
We've got a vanilla XP system on our admin network which has suddenly developed a nice BSOD along the lines of the title of this thread. Having never seen this before, and given it mentions the BIOS, I tried the obvious things such as loading defaults, removing CMOS battery for ~10mins (it loaded safe mode once after reinserting, but then after a reboot the same BSOD appears), and i'm at a loss as to what it could be. We have reinstalled the BIOS with the latest version (whether that was an upgrade or the same version), yet this again hasn't helped. Could be looking at failed hardware? Could the BIOS be irrepairable? Technical information, as usual, is of no help whatsoever!!
-
Wireless printing through a central server
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in How do you do....it?
Well we eventually settled for 2 of the linksys model bridges that I mentioned in my previous post, which after configuring, works exactly as we wish. Sorry for any confusion caused by my lack of precise initial explanation! Of course, we do anticipate a few problems every now and then; afterall, we're wirelessly printing on a HP 2600n with Planet and D-Link 2100 WAPs -
As a school on a similar scheme, I think i'm in a good position to give my view. We have 2 contract printers with LnL (LNL Printers and Consumables), namely, a KM 5430DL and a KM 5450DL. In terms of support, we have ever only needed someone to come on site once to replace the LCD screen (didn't cost us anything), and they came within 2-3 days. We regard the latter printer one of (if not, the) best printers in the school, in terms of financial economy (we're only buying the toners afterall, which last ages and are excellent value per page), reliaibility (only 1 callout - for something minor), and speed/quality (which, we can't fault). Contracts change all the time, and I am unaware of what the current contract states, however when we got our printers (2 years apart), we were fine with it, and are fine now. Although you must under the contract buy from them, they endeavour to beat any price, and contrary to what I have read here, you aren't required to buy X amount every month; we have bought 1 set for this year for our 5450DL and no problems have arisen from this. Bear in mind this is our experiebce with this particular company, and contracts/printers/support etc could be completely different with another company offering this.
-
We've just bought a cheap gigabit HP Procurve 1800-24 (smart managed) with 2 SFP for £200 (smart managed is the same level you will get on most of the netgears, including those mentioned above). We also bought the same one Kim mentioned above, which is a gigabit 2810-24 (full level 2 management, with 4 SFP). Fully managed switches from Netgear usually start with GSM (with the M obviously standing for "managed").
-
Wireless printing through a central server
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in How do you do....it?
That seems promising maniac (the description seems exact), although I am favouring the linksys model as I trust their brand , but yes both seem to do exactly as I was asking originally (and the Buffalo can take both printers)! Cheers for the responses guys, certainly got me on the right track!
