Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dgsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,403
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dgsmith

  1. Thanks for saving those cartridges for us Vicki - much appreciated! You need to find this kind of stuff more often
  2. Unless I am missing something, that seems to be purely *nix only? The download has the necessary files to install and config via *nix and no mention or alternate download for windows. Am I being daft, or is it not windows compatible?
  3. Trying to find a way to get an identd service running on our workstations (for use with smoothwall express). No luck with retina scan - doesn't even install. I have found another one here, however I can't figure out how to stick the exe on the local machine and then run the install command from there, as it needs to be installed locally else the service wont start on its own, unless I remote in to the services on the client and start it. Maybe even if there was a way to do this via an automated script or batch file (net start identd) could be a useable workaround. We're using RM CC4, although that would only affect how we push it out to workstations, not which is the best to use! So, any recommendations for a decent, simple identd service?
  4. Good stuff - that worked. Yes substr worked ok too, but I prefer code to be a simple as possible, and using explode seems a bit more easier to display just the bits you want. Cheers for all the responses.
  5. It's in the format domain\user (slash the other way). When I change the / for \ I get a 500 error (FasgCGI module is mentioned in detailed info), which is most bizarre. My workaround is to just get the name by substr() and collecting data so many chars in (so that is starts where the username starts). Not ideal, but I can't see why using \ in substr gives me an error..
  6. Yup, well I installed windows authentication and fiddling around with some of the $_SERVER bits managed to get what I need. Just have to work out tokens now to get rid of the DOMAIN\ before USERNAME, but i'm guessing that shouldn't be too big a job. Cheers for the advice(s).
  7. Although my preference is firefox, in the school environment, we use internet explorer given security settings can be set centrally Just checked what features we have installed on the server and although "basic authentication" is there, I didn't choose "windows authentication" when setting it up - I am guessing this is what we need? I'll install this and try that command above!
  8. We have an intranet running on a Windows Server 2008 box, however the server has no AD on it (just a member server). Mostly the pages are html/php, however I am wanting to make some student/staff specific pages, so for instance when staff load the internet, their home page will differ (or have different access) to a student. I can't seem to find an easy way (or just a way at all) to grab this info with php. What's the easiest way to get the username of the logged on user? I don't want to be messing around with login boxes, just something simple that works automatically (in the sense of needing no user input). TIA.
  9. Lancs CLEO block it as it hasn't been categorised yet.. the joys of a whitelist :/
  10. I'm just amused to the fact that you spent the time and effort to think that up and actually post it
  11. Got it spot on - exactly how we do it. There is no hassle whatsoever! In fact, it is the easiest and least hassle option, not alone the cheapest.
  12. Yup, I think it was you who originally suggested it a year or two back! For a school like here where we have very, very little funding (slicing even just £10 off an order is encouraged), this was an excellent solution. Only thing we need to be aware of is when someone wants to scan something personal, but we say they can come and see us to have it removed immediately if that is the case.
  13. Well, what we did was get an old desktop computer, install the software on it and hook up 1 scanner to that (the scanner has buttons on the front, like the Canon lide series), and set it so when someone pressed the scan button, it scanned and saved the image to a shared area. Really, really simple and really cheap (we already had the scanners and old computers)! Works like a dream - I actually got the idea from someone on here last year and it works great!
  14. RM CC4 - that isn't a recommendation though (at least not yet, still)..
  15. I thought a school agreement meant you still had to have some type of licensed OS on the unit? Of course if you have an amount of retail licences "spare" to transfer I think that is ok, but simply having a school agreement doesn't mean you don't need a base OS (at least that is what I have always read)! AFAIK, a school agreement is an upgrade licence, not a full one..
  16. I agree the F5 functionality is ridiculous. It's intended to start a presentation (given the remote is designed the powerpoint, hence the stop button sends "B" blanking the screen), although surely if you are loading a presentation up, you would do it the normal way with a mouse and just press F5 on the keyboard?! I can't understand their logic there, such a shame for a great device. Doesn't help in terms of an answer to your query though - simply disabling the F5 key is the best I have seen in terms of a workaround.
  17. FWIW, we use smoothwall express 3 with the dansguadian addon. It's "ok" however the DG mod is still very underdeveloped for smoothwall express 3 and thus has no proper GUI, so alot needs to be in the CLI, and occasionally we will need to restart the service. I think dansguardian offers you greater power of filtering as opposed to urlfilter and advanced proxy, but the latter is easier to use and is probably sufficient for most people/environments. If you want simplicity, then what webman suggested is probably the best bet, but if you want greater control then dansguardian is worth looking at (which I think also works with IPcop?) ..and yes the whole lot is free, but does take some effort on your part to get up and running properly!
  18. As steveg said, the ACTi cameras are pretty impressive for the money. Some really well priced mega-pixel quality cameras with quality that we're happy with. We bought our cameras from Phil @ use-ip.co.uk and have had several with no complaints (best spending the extra on their better ranges, but I suppose that is the same for any brand of products). We use icode's icatcher with these cameras, which is the cheapest commercial software we could find with the features we needed, and serves the purpose. There are of course better vendors out there (such as milestone) so you need to assess your budget; we only went for icatcher because we were (and still are) on tight budgets, but it does the job! In recall a post here about a fairly good free alternative for recording software - maybe do a search, as it seemed pretty decent from the screenshots.
  19. We needed a new WAP so I decided to buy a router instead, which was cheaper and I was told has better hardware than a WAP54G, but could do the same job (and more so). Problem is, I can't seem to configure it to work as a WAP? I thought I would have just been able to plug it in to one of the 4 switch ports, connect to the 192.168.1.1 address (which I managed to do) and configure the IP statically to our network. This doesn't work, and plugging it into our network doesn't return a ping (can plug the router into a laptop and set the laptop to the same IP range though, and this works fine, which is how I configured it to the stage we're at now). I'm concerned the subnet is related - our subnet is 255.255.252.0 but the router only allows you to choose a pre-configured subnets, of which our one doesn't show. Is there another way to do this? Short of installing DD-WRT (bit wary of this incase we brick the router), I was hoping it would just be similar to using the WAP - so much for saving £10!
  20. I just out of curiosity did a search on the RM website, and they came in at a 10th of this price? (as what you stated seemed very high)! Not wanting to take business away from Simon, but i'm wondering where you saw them for £40/50? I thought for any Epson projector remote that £5-10 would be the norm!
  21. I think it shows that Simon/CP can respond to critisicm (which wasn't justified) in a manner which only shows their professionalism. It's all very civil and I think, given the comments throughout the thread (mostly) that it actually does them a favour! It's great to see a company get glowing recommendations, but when there is a thread/post which isn't so favourable, I think it can be of benefit if company can respond positively and turn it around, which has happened here!
  22. They were still fairly active around here when the merger happened - I didn't even know Mark had left tbh! Although it got dealt with then, it doesn't ease my concerns that should a problem happen now (6 months after the merge) that it would be dealt with in the swift manner your issue was dealt with. This is judging by plexer's experience, which is a little worrying! Peter visited here just a few days ago, so I hope he would see this soon..
  23. That is what is concerning me too from reading this. If customer service requesting a quote/order is poor, will that impact on getting something fixed under warranty too..
  24. If it's the same one, then dabs list it at £26.20 inc VAT (dabs.com - Belkin Wireless G Cable/DSL Router (F5D7230UK4)). Misco are below £30 too. Including postage, both would fall under £35! So, £35 seems a tad overpriced!
  25. I don't email Simon now - my emails never get through either, or go to junk or just simply get lost! However, if I PM on here, his response is fairly snappy (quick) . Likewise, I asked him for a quote and he never got back to me, but then I think he did mention he was off for a while so has a backlog to get through; wasn't an issue as i'd asked my other suppliers at the same time so just went with one of them! Whilst I can understand your frustration at not getting a response (I was concerned after 2 and a half days), I do agree with CSNM-Carl in that a post written in this manner should have waited until you had at least phoned or even PMed the guy. Even a post questioning where Simon is or why he hasn't responded, whilst still a bit OTT, may have looked a little more favourable, but I think you jumped the gun a bit here! Remember that many here have had fanstastic experiences with the company and wont side with you as much as maybe you had expected! I have made a few orders with them, which I have been happy with, but not enough to comment like others can.
×
×
  • Create New...