Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dgsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,403
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dgsmith

  1. Interesting.. I just assumed the 3500 would have better switching capability. We very unlikely to want to delve too deep in switch config or indeed use many of the features managed switches offer. I'm also not overly keen on the ex-3com stuff and even an ebay one of those above isn't financially enticing. In an ideal world we'd get a modular switch but money and space is limited so we're faced with the 2 choices I mentioned at the start. Be interesting to know if anyone runs the 2910 as a core and is reasonably happy with doing that?
  2. Out of interest, why do you think the ruckus works much better than netgear? Our belief was that wireless is just that and varying vendors essentially should provide the same type of access point hardware and that it'd mostly just be the controller that varies. As two of those we're shortlisting fall within your comment above it'd be interesting to hear what made you ditch one and go with the other in the first place?
  3. Thanks for the advice last month - we've had a survey done which suggests our current unmamaged arrangement coverage is reasonable ok, it is just the configuration of it and throughput that we'd notice improvements in. As we haven't yet got a layer 3 switch, we can't do VLANs for guest access though it was suggested we could create a guest SSID which would essentially do the same thing, perhaps just slightly not as secure. Would it definately be worth only considering a guest VLAN if we wanted to go down that route?
  4. Very quick question; on a tight budget and need to replace the current core which is a 2810 (not even a core, only layer 2)! 2910al is about £850 and the 3500yl is about £1500. They both do Layer 3 static routing and are capable of running with 10GB addin cards. Before we plump for the 2910al, is there any serious consideration we need to take on board with regards to running the 3500yl in the same manner, or is it just glorified with stuff we won't use/need?
  5. Besides the initial buy cost of a negligable amount, we've yet to spend any money or time on fixing issues as there haven't been any issues to fix! Admittedly there is no warranty but then you could also argue we may have been lucky. If and when any issues do arise, we will have already had good moneys worth and the loss from the initial outlay won't be missed.
  6. Only if you buy brand new Picked two up on ebay over the last 3 months, one cost £0.99 + £19 postage and the other £38 all in, latter including IUs. Whilst I don't doubt there are other printers out there with good economy stats, if you know where to get decent, reliable compatibles then it's not really beatable, even on a managed service. How I manage our printers isn't down to choice but necessity.
  7. Konica Magicolor 5670EN. Bought a few decent, low count ones on ebay for between £20-£40. Compat 12k toners £45+VAT each. Imaging units compat £65+VAT each. When they run down, new chips for a fiver each. This is my approach on a wafer-thin budget that gives the illusion of running an expensive printer setup, with exceptional printers and high duty toners but without the massive budget to match. Many here however are probably too snobby or indeed too well-off (school budget wise) to even contemplate doing that
  8. Got it working eventually, by downgrading the Joomla install to 2.5.4 (from the latest 2.5.7), copying/extracting this manually first then upgrading with the previous version of jupgrade. What alot of faff, but it does mean after spending countless weekend hours, we now have a near-fully functional Joomla 2.5 site! Glad that is out of the way now.. been meaning to do it for the last 18 months (since 1.6)!
  9. That's the Intel DQ35JO board. Intel's diag page suggests memory error. Desktop Boards — BIOS beep codes
  10. Couldn't even get it started using IE but it does download/extract etc and start migrating if using firefox. Yesterday I started it at 1pm and gave up when I left at 5pm.. was still migrating undefined! Thing is the debug is hopeless and I have no idea what needs to be changed/amended to fix this, or even if a certain step can be skipped and done manually. Really do not fancy setting up a 2.5 site from scratch and manually migrating(!)
  11. Currently on Joomla 1.5(.26) like a fair number of Joomla sites out there on a standard Joomla install (as opposed to the edugeek supported/maintained one). We've been subject to alot of the standard joomla security breaches recently so we are very keen to migrate to 2.5 asap. Whilst jupgrade downloads and installs the new version plus the database, when it comes to migration is simply sits on "migrating undefined" and the debug mode just says [undefined]-[undefined]. Google suggests it's not an uncommon issue with others having success by extracting and configuring manually then skipping certain steps, however that hasn't helped us at all. Just wondered if anyone else who has attempted a migration has come across this or even if some advice could be shed? Feel like we're at a standstill at the moment!
  12. Why do some schools have so much money??.. we have to make a hard decision over whether to get a fax machine that costs £89 or one that costs £169, purely for financial reasons! I also can't see us being able to replace the 2810-24G switch we use at the core any time soon, unless we can justify another ebay purchase.
  13. Just done the same when upgrading the parts in a few old machines.. when you can get a Pentium E5200 £12 each ebay and 2Gb DDR3 for £5.50 it's a no-brainer. We have a single Core i3 machine, with the remainder of the network being split across core 2/pentium 4 on a 75/25 ratio. We haven't had the luxury of recent IT expenditure so are left with 3-5 year old machines being some of the best in use (network client size approx 350).
  14. We've had a long-term aspiration to get managed wireless and we're at the stage where it may be realistic, pending securing of funding. Currently we just have standard resistantial-type access points dotted around the place, some close together that cause overlaps (despite our best efforts configuring appropriate channels) and some that drop frequently. I imagine we'll have to put a case forward and wondered how others who have previously been in a similar position have gone about this? Also when actually setting up the network, have you found you don't need as many APs and/or that reliability has vastly improved? We have approx 20 APs at the moment but hope we could reduce that by at least 25%, however our knowledge of how managed wireless works or indeed how many clients each can handle/coverage is fairly limited.
  15. Just seen their desktop offerings, then the spec, then the price. Wouldn't go anywhere near that. Better off sticking to the likes of Schtrade, ICT-Direct and Tier1Online. Any company that thinks they can market a DC7600 Pentium 4 unit for £100 is in a dreamworld.
  16. Only had this question about 2 weeks ago.. we have just bought our 7th Epson X11 last week to add to our slowly growing inventory. Teachers love them. They are great units and after cashback we're paying £255+VAT each. We have been only buying Epson for the last 10 years+.. would take something very incredible to make us look elsewhere.
  17. We got our's for £255+VAT after the cashback. Worth every penny! Agree about the quickcorner.. great feature!
  18. Bit silly going for the S-series when they're SVGA? We have recently bought about 8 Epson X11 projectors which the teachers think are simply fantastic - great image quality, clarity and brightness. To be fair, they are being compared to the old ones which were naff but even if reviewing as they are, they're still great units. I wouldn't touch another SVGA projector now.. just not worth it.
  19. I only wish we could find the money to replace a 2810-24G that we're using as our core switch.. Isn't even capable of routing vlans =(
  20. We do not have authentication to our LEA proxy. Thanks for the advice; I simply can't remember if this was configured or not and I have since reinstalled the lot but personal concerns have meant I have yet to finish that. I'll be sure to try when I next have the opportunity and let you know - it sure does sound like it may be a resolution!
  21. On Ubuntu - squid itself did work (I think), as dansguardian did work in that. I am currently running a fresh install anyway as I can't remember what I changed etc and probably easier to start again, but then the risk is configuring all again to get the same issue as last time!
  22. Bumping my old thread, but I am going to try this again from scratch seeing as I have some time now and I was never able to get it working as I wanted! Those who tried, replied or have it working themselves, could you advise if you read any online guide as to how to correctly set this up? I read a few, and think I did it correct though as mentioned a few months ago, was not able to get the upstream proxy working (seeing as our inet ISP is itself via a proxy).
  23. We asked about 3 weeks ago - told we were far too late as there had been alot of interest but they'd let us know if anyone dropped out. Standard response I guess - no surprise we have heard nothing since. Anyone applying now I imagine will have no chance unless they know someone who knows someone etc..
  24. Well, I have solved the problem(!) It was.. Front USB connectors! Or rather, unplugging them from the board now doesn't show the errors on post, boots the machine fine and the BIOS is exactly as it should be! I think maybe there is an electrical problem perhaps on the front connections! Unbelievable!
×
×
  • Create New...