djones
Members-
Posts
332 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by djones
-
Wow, that was quick! Thanks but I've discovered a little stumbling block - the History is not being saved! In the History view, I can see 'Today' and the listed sites from this session; 'This week', 'Last Week', etc - but without any URLs. Poo! Anyone know why this might be - I don't think I've got a GPO preventing saving (I do have a GPO that prevents users from deleting their History).
-
How can I check a user's browser history without logging in as them?
-
Try making sure all users are given 'Owner' rights on the calendar. This worked for me.
-
Anyone managed to embed this code yet?
-
transfer a domain controller to new hardware
djones replied to Gardinho's topic in How do you do....it?
Edit - should learn to read who has written what! I would leave it and wait to see if replication happens on its own if there are no errors reported. Edit again - Have you checked DNS with dcdiag? -
transfer a domain controller to new hardware
djones replied to Gardinho's topic in How do you do....it?
Don't run DCPROMO yet! It may be as simple as replication hasn't finished yet. From my experience, this can sometimes take a while. You could check in the event logs of both servers for replication issues? -
I'd like to migrate our installation from a 2003 to a 2008 R2 server. What would be the best way? Thanks, Dave
-
Strange problem this one... I have just added a new 2008 R2 DC and migrated all shares, printers, etc across. Cleared offline file cache and allowed it to rebuild on laptops which works properly for all redirected folders. There are several drives pointing to various shares which are mapped through a VB logon script. Before the move to 2008, these mapped fine and users could select files/folders to be made offline. When at home, they opened My Computer, opened the relevant mapped drives and accessed their offline files. After the move to 2008, the drives mapped fine, files/folders can be selected to be made available offline, however, when at home, they go to My Computer and no mapped drives are visible. After investigating, if the users open an offline file on one of the mapped drives via their 'Recent Documents' list, the file opens correctly and the mapped drives suddenly appear. Alternatively, if, in explorer, you enter the UNC path to the folder or share e.g. \\server\staff$\Reports the folder opens and the mapped drives reappear. I've done a temporary workaround by placing a shortcut on the users desktop that links to the UNC path of the share but I'm really stumped as to why this has started happening. Any ideas?
-
Possibly unconnected but I did have a recent problem with Office 2k3 crashing when opening files which I believe was caused by something screwy with the printer setup. I say believe rather cynically as there was little pattern to the issue and I'm still convinced aliens were at work! After trying everything I could think of, I completely removed and reinstalled the printers and drivers on both servers and PCs. This solved it for me but as I said, possibly unconnected.
-
Ok, Ok - you've sold me on Linksys and DD-WRT! How about this then: ADSL -> old Netgear DG834G router (with WiFi disabled) -> WRT320N with DD-WRT (in main house for owners WiFi and wired devices) -> WAP610N (or other similar/suitable AP in holiday let for guest access). Guest access on different SSID and using DD-WRT to route, on separate VLAN, directly to the internet bypassing owner's LAN. How does that sound? Just another thought - if any IP cameras were plugged diretly into the LAN ports of the DG834, would they be viewable internally on the owner's LAN? Thanks for sticking with me on this one!
-
OK, changing the plan slightly... The areas that guests and owners will need to pick up a WiFi signal are physically separate so I will probably need to put in a separate AP for guest access. How would this change opinions? Are there any modem/routers that are able to firewall off specific LAN ports? One desktop PC but potentially network attached CCTV (in some guise) in the near-ish future. However, this will probably end up needing a separate switch anyway!
-
I've not had a good track record with Linksys equipment (probably just unlucky) but could be persuaded to look again. I would also prefer to go with a solution that had 802.11n and gigabit ports built in too.
-
Anyone used Heart Internet for hosting?
-
The requirements: House with ajoining holiday let; Currently with dial-up access but new ADSL line now going in; Owners want wifi access for their two laptops in and around property in addition to wired access for one desktop; Wifi access to be provided for guest use in and around property but separated from accessing owner's private network; In past days I have done similar by using IPCOP to separate the networks, each with their own wifi AP with different SSIDs, and have the IPCOP going out to a single router/modem. However, I'd rather stick with a single, small, appliance type solution if possible. They need to buy a router/modem anyway for the new ADSL line so I was looking at the Netgear DGN2000 as it has the ability to set multiple SSIDs but I'm not sure if this then separates them into VLANs - if not, I can't see the point of multiple SSIDs unless you have devices that can't use higher security methods. What would you do to achieve the required result?
-
transfer a domain controller to new hardware
djones replied to Gardinho's topic in How do you do....it?
Install Server 2008 R2 on new hardware. Change name to whatever is appropriate. Setup static IP and existing gateway IP and then point DNS at original DC to verify that Internet/Network connection functions correctly. If not done already, adprep /forestprep and /domainprep etc on original server Join new server to existing domain and after reboot, confirm that everything still works as expected. Run DCPROMO to make it a domain controller - this will install AD & DNS as well IIRC and begin to replicate existing AD & DNS. Now change the new server's DNS settings to point, first to itself and then to the original DC. Ensure DNS is replicating correctly. Backup/export existing DHCP database/settings and migrate manually to new DHCP install on new DC. Transfer the FSMO roles. Ensure FSMO info is being correctly registered on new server and in AD. Wait a day (AD being the fickle beast it is at times) Check again Run DCPROMO on the old DC to demote it. That's how I've just done it anyway - only I haven't demoted the old server yet as I'm not sure how best to test that I've transfered everything - switch off old server and see if anything/one complains, if nothing obvious...switch back on and demote properly?? -
They wouldn't give me access and now if I look they are unavailable - something lame about rotating daily...useful. I'll have a look again later.
-
Frequent downtime (sql, apache services hanging), high server load (probably over-selling too far) and takes me to discover and inform them every time. It can, but not always, take too long (IMHO) to resolve issues. Just had account suspended for malicious script running under my account - this I can understand but... it took 8 hours for them to send logs and another 20 hours to reactivate account. They would just hang up if I phoned, wouldn't reply to emails and disconnected live chat sessions. They wouldn't remove the script for me (said they don't have authorisation to go into clients files - despite having done that many times before at my request to help solve issues) and wouldn't give me any kind of access to remove the script myself. Their response was always, "...we cannot reactivate the account as it is too risky but you can upgrade if you like." They still can't provide access logs to help identify where the breach was either. It just takes far too long to get anything done in my opinion considering the amount of downtime there is.
-
I thought the problem was related to the old (2003 based) server trying to sync time as well as the new (2008) one but I discovered the the real issue was that I had left the hyper-v host pushing time updates to the new 2008 (virtual DC)! Oops. Thanks anyway!
-
I have just added and transfered roles to a new 2008 R2 DC but have a time mismatch. How do I setup the time service on the 2008 DC and remove previous setup from the 2003 DC?
-
I'd like to stay with cpanel though.
-
After a very disrupted year with eukhost (avoid at all costs), I'm looking for a new host. Currently hosting about 10 sites and email using 10Gb of data but not a huge amount of bandwidth. Need unlimited mysql databases, domains and subdomains, cpanel, etc. Starting to get to the point where a reseller solution may be worth looking at too. Are VPS solutions worth looking at as well? Any suggestions?
-
Yes, still need to check the state of play with that one. ...that is fine but the existing DC is 2003 and I will eventually get rid of this completely. I did think of doing a P2V of it but I went against it as I decided it would be an additional step I didn't need if I just created a new virtual DC/File server, moved everything across and reloaded the old server again - hopefully as a virtual or physical 2008 DC. In your suggestion above, what would you then have running on the new server, a P2V of the existing plus a physical DC on that hardware or a virtual DC or nothing else?
-
Yes. Only have one physical (2003 R2 - does everything) box at the moment and have just purchased another server. The plan is to create a new DC/File Server and transfer all files across from the existing one before demoting and wiping it. I'll then install Hyper-V on the old one and create a new virtual DC on that for backup. I'll also setup DFS at the same time to make moving files a little easier in the future. How does that sound?
-
Just don't have (and won't have) a SAN. Would it be better to keep this as a physical box then rather than a VM?
